Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2017, 08:53 PM   #5191
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
That shelf looks too neat to have cameras that are actually used
You didnt see it before I set it up this evening. At -8 degrees, I think they will get a break this weekend. Until two days ago the MX and KX were sitting on the backseat floor of my car. But I do need to thin the herd, I plan on selling all my canons except the ones on the top shelf, someday I am eying my old F-1 for an ebay auction starting tomorrow I think.

01-04-2018, 11:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5192
Pentaxian

Pentax MV1 with M 50mm f/4 macro, arrived yesterday.

Pentax MV-1 with M 50mm f/4 macro
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Amazingly the camera seems to work, it even came with batteries in it. I will need to test it for meter accuracy, which won't be too easy given that it has almost no indication of the shutter speed.

The lens is very nice - extremely compact for a macro, but I suppose that's due to being only 1:2 and f/4.
01-05-2018, 05:36 AM   #5193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what changes in formula were made to the 50mm f4 macro, but the first version, a double-ring preset, had excellent IQ. Used one on my Asahi Pentax S and it never disappointed.
01-05-2018, 07:31 AM   #5194
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Not sure what changes in formula were made to the 50mm f4 macro, but the first version, a double-ring preset, had excellent IQ. Used one on my Asahi Pentax S and it never disappointed.
From my understanding, all the 50/4 Macros, from the original Takumar, to the Pentax-M, were the same optical design, basically a Tessar.

If I remember correctly, only the original Macro-Takumar actually does 1:1 macro.

01-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #5195
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From my understanding, all the 50/4 Macros, from the original Takumar, to the Pentax-M, were the same optical design, basically a Tessar.

If I remember correctly, only the original Macro-Takumar actually does 1:1 macro.
Mine did go to 1:1. The design may have been an inverted Tessar which is generally thought to be better for close work.
01-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #5196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Mine did go to 1:1. The design may have been an inverted Tessar which is generally thought to be better for close work.
Looking at the lens diagram on the appropriate review page, it doesn't appear to be an inverted design.

01-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #5197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the lens diagram on the appropriate review page, it doesn't appear to be an inverted design.
Yes. Classic Tessar, one of the truly great breakthroughs in lens design. Inverted Tessars were made for close-up work in and around 1:1.

01-11-2018, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #5198
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've posted this here before, but took another photo of it last night, figured I'd post it up. My bender 4x5. Love working with it!

01-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #5199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I've posted this here before, but took another photo of it last night, figured I'd post it up. My bender 4x5. Love working with it!
I love seeing large format stuff make its way here

I had a Bender, but it felt kinda janky to me. I eventually got a Toko 4x5 folding field camera. How is yours in terms of rigidity and portability?
01-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #5200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I love seeing large format stuff make its way here

I had a Bender, but it felt kinda janky to me. I eventually got a Toko 4x5 folding field camera. How is yours in terms of rigidity and portability?
I appreciate it as a wood worker, it's neat to see a camera made of wood, nice finish. None of the joints are actually done very well, screwed connections instead of finger joints or something else. This makes it less rigid. Doesn't really matter for me, I can work with it.

It is not portable, I lug it around my property and take photos of things, for that it's pretty good.

I recently picked up a really heavy studio 4x5, the bender feels positively light compared to it!
01-11-2018, 08:58 PM   #5201
Veteran Member

Nice looking big guy, for this angle.

Weren't the Benders available as kits? I'm dimly recalling Bender ads dating back to the 80s. I also seem to vaguely recall when they went out of business. Back then I paid it no never mind. But these days I'm a wood worker in a rather serious way -- I build acoustic guitars -- and in recent years I've been trying to collect plans on wooden field 4x5s so I might be able to build one some day. The woodworking will be the easy part, pretty much. Fabricating all the metal parts is what will take time and effort.
01-11-2018, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #5202
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Nice looking big guy, for this angle.

Weren't the Benders available as kits? I'm dimly recalling Bender ads dating back to the 80s. I also seem to vaguely recall when they went out of business. Back then I paid it no never mind. But these days I'm a wood worker in a rather serious way -- I build acoustic guitars -- and in recent years I've been trying to collect plans on wooden field 4x5s so I might be able to build one some day. The woodworking will be the easy part, pretty much. Fabricating all the metal parts is what will take time and effort.
Yeah, for a real wood worker, it's not that difficult. You should check out the DIY section of large format photography, lots of good inspiration there.

This is pretty silly, but I made two simple "two box" 4x5 cameras a year or two ago. Both were just silly prototypes, but the second was pretty usable.
Box camera | Flickr

01-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #5203
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads-up regarding large format photography. I'm assuming you meant the forum. So I went over there and discovered that I'd signed up there almost exactly nine years ago. I had made one intro "new guy" post and that was it. As it turns out, I had begun my membership over there in search of diy plans. Go figure. Well, it's been something that's been on the back burner for a while now, I guess. I had recieved one "welcome" response to my post. Appreciated, but not very helpful, I'm afraid.

Anyway, I got kind of stymied. They've since changed forum software and my status there is essentially that if a registered, but unverified newbie. So I sent a message to the admin. Hopefully, I'll get reinstated. The way things are for me on the board right now, I can find now diy section.
01-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #5204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, sorry I did mean the large format photography forum. Somewhere on there, there is a great thread devoted to LF DIY camera builds.. can't find it at the moment. Here's the DIY section: LF DIY (Do It Yourself))

This flickr pool may be a good inspiration as well.
Home-made large format cameras | Flickr

Anyway, good luck with it, if you get around to it! I would *strongly* recommend you make a prototype/testing camera before you make a nice one. Making the two silly box cameras, I learned a lot of interesting lessons. At the end of #2, I figured that by #4 I'll make something really slick. Sadly I've since moved and don't have a great wood working workshop any more, so any more are on hold. You're lucky as a guitar maker, you're probably set up well for this kind of thing!
01-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #5205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Yeah, for a real wood worker, it's not that difficult. You should check out the DIY section of large format photography, lots of good inspiration there.

This is pretty silly, but I made two simple "two box" 4x5 cameras a year or two ago. Both were just silly prototypes, but the second was pretty usable.
Love the lens cap!