Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #5206
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Anyway, good luck with it, if you get around to it! I would *strongly* recommend you make a prototype/testing camera before you make a nice one. Making the two silly box cameras, I learned a lot of interesting lessons. At the end of #2, I figured that by #4 I'll make something really slick. Sadly I've since moved and don't have a great wood working workshop any more, so any more are on hold. You're lucky as a guitar maker, you're probably set up well for this kind of thing!
I pretty much learned the importance of -- well not prototyping, but resigning myself to the fact that my first couple of guitars would look pretty butt ugly. And they did. But fortunately they still sounded really good. The woods, you know. So yeah, I'd pretty much follow the same game plan with building my own camera.

Sadly, you and I are in the same boat with regard to workshops. I also moved a while back and lost my shop. I used to have a nice little shop space behind my garage. Nothing like that at the new house. About all I can hope for is some extra room in the garage and the possibility of walling it up so that I can have humidity control. What I really want to do is add another shop onto the back of this garage like I used to have. But I don't have any idea when or if that's ever gonna happen. So I'm also pretty well stalled out right now -- at least when it comes to the aspect of the craft that involves making lots of dust and shavings -- which is most of it.

01-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #5207
Pentaxian

A blast from 2001 found for $1 in our county second hand store.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2018, 06:32 PM - 4 Likes   #5208
Pentaxian

New gear
90/5.6 lens ( = 20mm in small format)

Last edited by tuco; 01-17-2018 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Add Info
01-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #5209
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
New gear
90/5.6 lens ( = 20mm in small format)

Drooool!
That Fuji is beautiful,
I got to briefly handle a Linhof Technorama one day before I really knew what one was.
I keep thinking I should get a 6x12 back for my 4X5 Technika, I've got a 90 & 65 for it, almost gets me to this range of panorama work.
Are these things still holding their value? I've not looked around for this kind of exotica in a while,

01-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #5210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Drooool!
That Fuji is beautiful,
I got to briefly handle a Linhof Technorama one day before I really knew what one was.
I keep thinking I should get a 6x12 back for my 4X5 Technika, I've got a 90 & 65 for it, almost gets me to this range of panorama work.
Are these things still holding their value? I've not looked around for this kind of exotica in a while,
Thanks. Yeah, this setup is expensive for film gear. The Fuji is probably the most available system making it more popular. It gives you some integration of the components at the expense of being limited to what it has to offer. I want a 6x12 system too. You can get some that are still pretty hand holdable if you want and that's what I have my eye on.

I shot a test roll and it all worked okay. But, ouch, 4 frames per 120 roll goes quick and I can see I'll be supporting the film industry even more now. And now I have to wait for a negative carrier to arrive before I can scan these 6x17 frames. Torture.
01-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #5211

01-22-2018, 02:36 PM - 5 Likes   #5212

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I recently got lucky and managed to acquire this set. These are my first film cameras. I am planning to change the light seals and give them a go this summer.
Will be an interesting experiment and I am looking forward to see how these lenses and cameras work together on film. Hopefully at least two of the cameras will work nicely.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-22-2018, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #5213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
Will be an interesting experiment and I am looking forward to see how these lenses and cameras work together on film. Hopefully at least two of the cameras will work nicely.
I suspect all three will work well for you. Me, I've never cared much for the ME but that's because it is Aperture priority only. I like being able to select shutter speeds. But the LX and MX are fantastic photographic tools. They should do you nicely.

One thing you will probably get a big kick out of is the LX's low-light metering capability. It is awe-inspiring. Select your aperture, set it to "A," trip the shutter, and go take a break for however long the camera needs.
01-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #5214
Pentaxian

Hello,

I recently got lucky and managed to acquire this set. These are my first film cameras. I am planning to change the light seals and give them a go this summer.
I'm rather jealous that you acquired an LX. Although, I suspect it would be the first camera to have issues out of the three -- just because its the most advanced.
01-22-2018, 11:34 PM   #5215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I'm rather jealous that you acquired an LX. Although, I suspect it would be the first camera to have issues out of the three -- just because its the most advanced.
Good point. A problem I noticed with my LX right after I bought it was that the lens's focusing scale wasn't even close to the actual distance to my subject. Turns out the bumpers or cushions -- whatever you want to call them -- for the mirror had deteriorated. So I had my local repair facility do a CLA, paying special attention to the focusing issue. This is apparently fairly common with LXes that haven' had their bumpers serviced. So this is something that you might want to prepare yourself for.

Oh and one other thing -- I see that, along with your three "new" Pentax cameras, you've also got a decent assortment of primes. You may be surprised at just how sharp and contrasty those Pentax lenses are. I recall the first time I took a KX and a small selection of Pentax lenses out for an extended shoot. I was shooting Kodachrome slides, and I was amazed at the image quality those lenses delivered.

Last edited by cooltouch; 01-22-2018 at 11:53 PM.
01-23-2018, 01:20 AM   #5216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mnhoj Quote
Very nice. Remember this is a film gear thread, but the DA 70mm is film compatible when used on later film SLRs, so I think it's fair to include it here

You're three-fifths of the way to DA limited nirvana.

Hello,

Very pretty. Nice lenses too.
01-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #5217

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice. Remember this is a film gear thread, but the DA 70mm is film compatible when used on later film SLRs, so I think it's fair to include it here

You're three-fifths of the way to DA limited nirvana.

Very pretty. Nice lenses too.
Darn it. Sorry guys.
Thanks Jonathan.
Are the other two the 35 and 40?
01-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #5218

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Good point. A problem I noticed with my LX right after I bought it was that the lens's focusing scale wasn't even close to the actual distance to my subject. Turns out the bumpers or cushions -- whatever you want to call them -- for the mirror had deteriorated. So I had my local repair facility do a CLA, paying special attention to the focusing issue. This is apparently fairly common with LXes that haven' had their bumpers serviced. So this is something that you might want to prepare yourself for.

Oh and one other thing -- I see that, along with your three "new" Pentax cameras, you've also got a decent assortment of primes. You may be surprised at just how sharp and contrasty those Pentax lenses are. I recall the first time I took a KX and a small selection of Pentax lenses out for an extended shoot. I was shooting Kodachrome slides, and I was amazed at the image quality those lenses delivered.

Yeah, good service would probably help my LX quite a bit but I will try first if it works well without. Not sure if I want to invest for expensive service at the moment if the MX and ME works. In case should be fun little project to try all this new old gear
01-23-2018, 10:52 PM   #5219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mnhoj Quote
Darn it. Sorry guys.
Thanks Jonathan.
Are the other two the 35 and 40?
Yes, the 35 and 40 are the others. Of the two, I'd recommend the former - it's a more normal field of view, has 1:1 macro and is sharper with overall superb IQ.
01-24-2018, 05:15 AM   #5220

Yeah, good service would probably help my LX quite a bit but I will try first if it works well without. Not sure if I want to invest for expensive service at the moment if the MX and ME works. In case should be fun little project to try all this new old gear
The first thing I did when I got my LX was send it out to Eric Hendrickson for a CLA. Now I can be confident that it performs as well as it was designed to do.