Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2018, 12:28 PM - 3 Likes   #5236
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Does that Petri have the film wind crank on the bottom, similar to the Kodak II and III rangefinders, and the late Canon rangefinders?
No, it's where WPRESTO says it is, on the back of the camera, elegantly flush to the body, although for ease of use I prefer Pentax's ergonomics.

While I'm on-line, here's a photo taken in jest for the Daily in January challenge, subjecting three distinguished old 58mm f2 lenses to an out of body experience.

02-09-2018, 01:12 PM   #5237
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Does that Petri have the film wind crank on the bottom, similar to the Kodak II and III rangefinders, and the late Canon rangefinders?
The Color 35 winder folds up on top. It’s a heck of a camera. The meter in mine is intermittent, but it’s got a great lens.

-Eric
02-10-2018, 08:11 AM - 4 Likes   #5238
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The humble K1000 taken with the K1 and 24-70
02-11-2018, 02:58 PM - 4 Likes   #5239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tanks a lot

I've used Pentax since the mid-1960s (H1a) and Leica since 1968. After retiring I've collected some of the models I couldn't afford through the years. These two Leica's (M5 and Leicaflex SL2) were pretty much the peak of Leitz engineering. Both are their "50 year" anniversary models from 1975, since they marketed the first 35mm camera in 1924-25:
Name:  Tanks.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  241.4 KB
The M5 was an outstanding user RF, with a great spot meter, that raised a small CdS cell just in front of the center of the shutter, and moved it away as the user pressed the shutter. A very selective spot. (The original Pentax Spot-Matic prototype also swung a spot CdS cell just under the focusing screen to measure a central spot as well.) The M5 was a bit larger than the "classic" M models and so users didn't like it, but it deserved better. I use a Voigtlander 50 1.5 Nokton on it which fits the size well.
The SL2 also used a selective spot meter, but a larger spot equal to the microprism area of the finder, with a piggy-back mirror behind the main mirror to direct the light down to the photocell, similar to the Pentax LX mirror structure. The SL2 also used a wonderful match-needle meter, which of course is easy to read in bright light, but also in very dim light as a button push turns on a small backlight for the meter needle. (This was before LEDs, which I find harder to see in bright light.) This has a period-correct 50 Summilux 1.4. The special hood holds any filters, and a small wheel on the side of the hood will rotate a polarizer filter to get the desired effect. The Leicaflex mirrors used a compound linkage to decelerate the mirror to avoid vibration
These are very solid but smooth and precise cameras, and are a joy to use.

02-12-2018, 04:26 PM - 4 Likes   #5240
Pentaxian

I got one of those aluminium kit suitcases for Xmas and have just finished shaping the foam to store my semi-retired film kit. It is quite tricky cutting out the foam cuboids without making an error. These cases used to be quite common but seem to have gone out of fashion lately. I do have the original boxes for most of this stuff, stored in the attic.

Of course I still use some stuff here with digital, the lenses and flash unit. I put just three "representative" lenses in, 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm macro.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 02-12-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Typo
02-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #5241
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I got one of those aluminium kit suitcases for Xmas and have just finished shaping the foam to store my semi-retired film kit. It is quite tricky cutting out the foam cuboids without making an error. These cases used to be quite common but seem to have gone out of fashion lately. I do have the original boxes for most of this stuff, stored in the attic.

Of course I still use some stuff here with digital, the lenses and flash unit. I put just three "representitive" lenses in, 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm macro.
For a moment I thought this was an Auto 100 kit, with one of the rare zooms. Nice piece of kit.
02-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #5242
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Of course I still use some stuff here with digital, the lenses and flash unit. I put just three "representative" lenses in, 28mm, 50mm, and 100mm macro.

Looks great.

I did something similar a few years ago to have a case for my lenses. Much cheaper than a Pelican case, but not sealed. On mine the foam was pre-cubed, and made it easy to pluck out a spot for each lens. I added a couple of reusable desiccant packs to keep things dry and prevent the possibility of lens fungus.

02-12-2018, 07:19 PM   #5243
Pentaxian

Any pointers on where to go to get lenses custom resurfaced or silvered like dcshooter used to do? I was hoping to get a few more of my K and M lenses resurfaced but looks like I waited too long.
02-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #5244
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Any pointers on where to go to get lenses custom resurfaced or silvered like dcshooter used to do? I was hoping to get a few more of my K and M lenses resurfaced but looks like I waited too long.
I didn’t know Brian had quit refinishing lenses.
02-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #5245
Pentaxian

Nice LX set-up. I have a Pentax-branded case like that which has sat on top of a shelf unit unused for an age. I found carrying a shoulder bag or back-pack much more practical for carrying gear about, and a set of CD shelves in the hall for putting the gear in I am not using. I still don't want to get rid of the case though! I should think of a good use for it. Maybe all the little bits and pieces that I never know what to do with like filters.

K.
02-13-2018, 07:19 AM   #5246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Nice LX set-up. I have a Pentax-branded case like that which has sat on top of a shelf unit unused for an age. I found carrying a shoulder bag or back-pack much more practical for carrying gear about, and a set of CD shelves in the hall for putting the gear in I am not using. I still don't want to get rid of the case though! I should think of a good use for it. Maybe all the little bits and pieces that I never know what to do with like filters.

K.
I have some pretty large filters (72 & 77mm) and had trouble finding a convenient dust-proof storage container. Light-bulb-in-the-bain moment: An empty, cleaned-out plastic container for Swiffer wet-pads, the large package of course. If you use Swiffers, consider.
02-13-2018, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #5247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New family member

Yesterday, I picked up a LX from a local collector. Quite battered it is, but everything seems to be working; no mirror or other stickies, metering precise. I'll know for sure after I run the first film through it. All I can say is: what a joy to use! So, here's a portrait of a thightly knit family. They're all very sympathetic...

Family portrait

Last edited by Jacchini; 02-13-2018 at 05:02 PM.
02-13-2018, 11:27 AM   #5248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacchini Quote
Yesterday, I picked up a LX from a local collector. Quite battered it is, but everything seems to be working; no mirror or other lockups, metering precise. I'll know for sure after I run the first film through it. All I can say is: what a joy to use! So, here's a portrait of a thightly knit family. They're all very sympathetic...

Family portrait
The KM seems a bit out of place, with the SP F, LX, and MX all being higher-end models in each of their product lines.

I don't really blame you if you want the DoF preview and self-timer over the K1000, though.
02-13-2018, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #5249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
The KM seems a bit out of place, with the SP F, LX, and MX all being higher-end models in each of their product lines.
That’s why it takes the back seat... Seriously, I really wanted a KX, but the KM came my way and I didn’t have the heart to throw it away.
02-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #5250
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacchini Quote
That’s why it takes the back seat... Seriously, I really wanted a KX, but the KM came my way and I didn’t have the heart to throw it away.
Any Working K body is worth keeping - as is the SP-F and the X bodies!

.: