Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #5326
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I'd be willing to say that the viewfinders on the early Kievs are better — or, at least, have aged more gracefully — than the viewfinders on their West German counterparts.

The finder in my Kiev 2a is surprisingly good.

03-30-2018, 02:12 PM - 2 Likes   #5327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
The finder in my Kiev 2a is surprisingly good.
Every time I pick up my Fed, I look through the viewfinder and think ‘how did I use this horrible thing?’

Then I adjust the diopter, the whole thing gets clear and bright, and I remember how good it really is...

-Eric
03-30-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #5328

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Every time I pick up my Fed, I look through the viewfinder and think ‘how did I use this horrible thing?’
Then I adjust the diopter, the whole thing gets clear and bright, and I remember how good it really is...
-Eric
So, your eyes get worse every time you pick it up?
03-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #5329
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
So, your eyes get worse every time you pick it up?
Ha. No. I just always end up bumping the diopter lever when I put it away, so it’s always a fuzzy mess the next time I use it...

It’s the only rangefinder I have with a diopter...

-Eric

04-10-2018, 08:20 AM - 5 Likes   #5330
Pentaxian

Just for fun ... I bought for 5€ the sign at Poitiers' annual photo swap (last Sunday) ... my MX + M 85/2 combo for scale ...

04-14-2018, 06:03 PM - 2 Likes   #5331
Veteran Member

A lovely, neglected Honeywell Pentax H3v (Asahi SV) arrived to me today and may I just say: "Wow.... I get it."

This Queen utterly surprised me. She was quite dirty, the slower speeds are hit or miss but seem to be perking up with massage/use, the seals are little more than bits of charcoal and gum... She was scratched, scuffed, etched, written on in very old lead pencil in several places hard.... rather forgotten I must say. But after an hour on my lap of spa treatment she is.... gorgeous.

The H3v (SV) is smaller than I'd imagined (I was envisioning something closer to a KX or K1000 in size/heft but she has far more in common with my LX and is really only slightly bigger than an MX. The 55/1.8 lens is utterly goreous, tiny and butter-smooth to focus. The prism is very bright despite all the many cleaning marks left on the mirror. Film advance is lovely and wind-on lever just perfect.

So in short, and long, this lovely thing is just that... lovely. This will easily become a favorite. She'll need a trip to Eric H. for some internal spa treatment and to sort those slower speeds... But everything 1/30 and above sounds reasonably on.... so I'm giving her at least a roll of Ektar or TMax before I require anything of her other than light shooting and looking lovely on the shelf.

The Queen of the original Pentax line. What a camera. I get it.

04-14-2018, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #5332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
A lovely, neglected Honeywell Pentax H3v (Asahi SV) arrived to me today and may I just say: "Wow.... I get it."

This Queen utterly surprised me. She was quite dirty, the slower speeds are hit or miss but seem to be perking up with massage/use, the seals are little more than bits of charcoal and gum... She was scratched, scuffed, etched, written on in very old lead pencil in several places hard.... rather forgotten I must say. But after an hour on my lap of spa treatment she is.... gorgeous.

The H3v (SV) is smaller than I'd imagined (I was envisioning something closer to a KX or K1000 in size/heft but she has far more in common with my LX and is really only slightly bigger than an MX. The 55/1.8 lens is utterly goreous, tiny and butter-smooth to focus. The prism is very bright despite all the many cleaning marks left on the mirror. Film advance is lovely and wind-on lever just perfect.

So in short, and long, this lovely thing is just that... lovely. This will easily become a favorite. She'll need a trip to Eric H. for some internal spa treatment and to sort those slower speeds... But everything 1/30 and above sounds reasonably on.... so I'm giving her at least a roll of Ektar or TMax before I require anything of her other than light shooting and looking lovely on the shelf.

Welcome to the enlightenment. I discovered the SV on one of those ‘traveling’ threads we had years ago (Sightseeing Screwmount) and immediately found a nice one for myself. Early Pentax cameras are universally fun, but an SV is sublime.

04-14-2018, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #5333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Welcome to the enlightenment. I discovered the SV on one of those ‘traveling’ threads we had years ago (Sightseeing Screwmount) and immediately found a nice one for myself. Early Pentax cameras are universally fun, but an SV is sublime.
Sublime is the word. I'm beside myself with glee and contentment just holding it, advancing, firing the shutter, staring, holding, advancing... I cannot put it down.

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 06:26 PM ----------

I'm only disappointed that it took me this long to arrive here.... but then the timing is other ways perfect.
04-14-2018, 07:56 PM - 2 Likes   #5334
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For anyone looking for a non-metered 35mm SLR, the SV is literally probably the best there is. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the enlightened club. Here's what I had to say about mine last year in the reviews.

Review Date: September 27, 2017 I can recommend the Pentax SV (H3v): Yes | Price: $96.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect size, heft, build quality, self-timer
Cons: None (in context)

I always include the cost of any repairs/CLA when I post the price. I paid $11 shipped for the camera and then $85 to Eric for CLA, seals, and bumper.

Now that it looks perfect and functions perfectly I can confidently declare that the SV is the perfect 10 M42 Pentax. Some would give it a ding for not having an internal meter but for me, a big part of why I purchased a camera of this vintage wat so get back to the roots of photography and to slow myself down a bit as I make each photo. Using a handheld meter or the cool, retro, Pentax clip-on meter is a part of the allure of using this camera as far as I'm concerned.

Now for the reasons that I give this camera a 10. First, the only cameras that I have to compare it to that are from the same era are the AP, the K, and the S1a. I rated the K a 10 because of its magical build quality and added cool factor of the slow speed dial on the front of the camera. Since the SV falls just short of the same magical mechanical feel and is missing the cool front dial, it needed to shine in some other area. It does. It has an added 1/1000 sec shutter speed and a self timer. I consider both of these features valuable for my shooting style and for a camera of this era, I would insist that these be included. I graded the K on a slight curve here because it is in a different class in my mind than the SV.

So there you have it. If you are wanting a camera that has no dependence on, nor provision for batteries, the SV is perfect in every way. It fits the hand perfectly with its very nice size. It's just heavy enough while not overweight to let you know that it is very solidly built and can sustain heavy use. It has every feature that might come in handy for the person shopping for this vintage of equipment; DOF preview (on the lens), self timer, wide shutter speed range including 1/1000 (the highest available at the time). There's really no more to ask for. Ok, MAYBE MLU but I don't think that any camera had it when this one was made. I'll still give the SV a perfect 10!
04-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #5335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
For anyone looking for a non-metered 35mm SLR, the SV is literally probably the best there is. Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the enlightened club...
The only real downside I can see is an eminent re-igniting of L.B.A., something I'd tamed and entirely crushed at least 2 years ago, finally settling on a modest line-up (a decade in the making) that I was completely satisfied with and more. Had been tempted *many* times by m42 glass - I even own an adapter - but never bought one, knowing well where that would lead.

Well... here we go. (Though, in all honesty that's mostly, I doubt it'll be anything like before - I've plenty of other lengths in different formats and the both-eyes-open shooting (for some reason wasn't anticipating that) with this buttery-delicious 55/1.8 should be far more than enough. But certainly I'll now be looking more oft and carefully at M42.)

---------- Post added 04-14-18 at 09:30 PM ----------

Mine, however, will never look perfect... but this is how I prefer my cameras. I always enjoy a camera that has a visible history on it as opposed to a cabinet-princess.
04-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #5336
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only real downside I can see is an eminent re-igniting of L.B.A., something I'd tamed and entirely crushed at least 2 years ago, finally settling on a modest line-up (a decade in the making) that I was completely satisfied with and more. Had been tempted *many* times by m42 glass - I even own an adapter - but never bought one, knowing well where that would lead.

Well... here we go. (Though, in all honesty that's mostly, I doubt it'll be anything like before - I've plenty of other lengths in different formats and the both-eyes-open shooting (for some reason wasn't anticipating that) with this buttery-delicious 55/1.8 should be far more than enough. But certainly I'll now be looking more oft and carefully at M42.)
Take care to learn which version you own. The earliest version (denoted by a green R on the Rewind crank) has a mirror that will strike the rear element of certain M42 lenses with a protruding rear element. The 8-element ST50/1.4 is the most common lens with this problem (IIRC the only such Pentax lens). The ‘safe’ version has an orange ‘R’ on the rewind crank.

AFA LBA, allow yourself the classic three-lens kit (28 or 35 / 55 / 85* or 105) and no more. Modest, but diverse enough to be useful in a broad range of situations.

* The Auto-Tak 85/1.8 is the way to go. It functions more like a Super-Tak than an Auto-Tak on the SV, but check that ‘R’ color.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.
04-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #5337
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Take care to learn which version you own. The earliest version (denoted by a green R on the Rewind crank) has a mirror that will strike the rear element of certain M42 lenses with a protruding rear element. The 8-element ST50/1.4 is the most common lens with this problem (IIRC the only such Pentax lens). The ‘safe’ version has an orange ‘R’ on the rewind crank.

AFA LBA, allow yourself the classic three-lens kit (28 or 35 / 55 / 85* or 105) and no more. Modest, but diverse enough to be useful in a broad range of situations.

* The Auto-Tak 85/1.8 is the way to go. It functions more like a Super-Tak than an Auto-Tak on the SV, but check that ‘R’ color.
This is precisely where I'll wind up eventually (some lens triad). Thanks for the color tip - I read about that a couple of times but not closely.
I appear to be good. Orange R means GO!
04-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #5338
Veteran Member

Any of you fellas have a CZJ glass for these era Pentax? I know I've read of problems with particular varieties and am wondering which are trouble free. Would love to add a Helios and Flektogon (or copy) into the fray.
04-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #5339
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am certainly fond of my SV. The surprise is that the model was contemporary to the Spotmatic for most of its life.

Any of you fellas have a CZJ glass for these era Pentax? I know I've read of problems with particular varieties and am wondering which are trouble free. Would love to add a Helios and Flektogon (or copy) into the fray.
There might be problems with preset Biotar (shroud on rear element does not clear aperture actuator), but I believe most DDR and former Soviet glass should work with your red/orange R body. If there are doubts about rear element clearance, the lens may be mounted with focus at minimum distance and the back opened with the shutter opened at the T setting. Slowly move the focus to infinity with an eye to whether the rear element or shroud contact the aperture actuator, mirror bumper guard (at top), or appear to be a hazard for mirror clearance.

BTW
Your ST 55/1.8 is a little bit unusual. Notice the knurling and direction of the aperture ring.

Steve
04-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #5340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am certainly fond of my SV. The surprise is that the model was contemporary to the Spotmatic for most of its life.

There might be problems with preset Biotar (shroud on rear element does not clear aperture actuator), but I believe most DDR and former Soviet glass should work with your red/orange R body. If there are doubts about rear element clearance, the lens may be mounted with focus at minimum distance and the back opened with the shutter opened at the T setting. Slowly move the focus to infinity with an eye to whether the rear element or shroud contact the aperture actuator, mirror bumper guard (at top), or appear to be a hazard for mirror clearance.
Perfect. Good info. I was simply relishing a T setting on an SLR. This will see me use it.

QuoteQuote:
BTW
Your ST 55/1.8 is a little bit unusual. Notice the knurling and direction of the aperture ring.
So it IS unusual then?! I was staring at it all night but not having had one before thought it must be "normal". Evidently not. Yes, it's wacky that it's reversed and has been messing with my mind when I'm not looking. Functions perfectly however. I should dig out my m42-->PK adapter and throw it on the K-3.

---------- Post added 04-15-18 at 12:10 AM ----------

Seems to be the one pictured top-left of the six shown.
SMC/S-M-C/Super-/Auto-/Takumar 55mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
QuoteQuote:
Super-Takumar 55mm F1.8 (early) ....
Notes"
Fine ribs on aperture ring.
The aperture ring has the smallest aperture to the right, i.e. the ring turns the opposite way of later models.
The lens has a dot rather than a diamond as the settings mark.
All those notes are accurate, reflecting what I see on mine.