Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #5401
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote

But my question is this: is there anything in this photo that makes anyone here as absolutely bananas as it does me? I
Well I don’t know if it bugs you, but I would like to see more of the stereo in the background.

05-10-2018, 10:41 AM - 5 Likes   #5402
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Well I don’t know if it bugs you, but I would like to see more of the stereo in the background.
That most certainly does not bug me. Trusty ye ould Marantz 2235B... I've had many a newer, bigger and technically "better" receiver. But this is the one that forever stopped me "wandering".

05-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #5403
Pentaxian

That most certainly does not bug me. Trusty ye ould Marantz 2235B... I've had many a newer, bigger and technically "better" receiver. But this is the one that forever stopped me "wandering".

One of the few ~70s design aesthetics that are actually nice.
05-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #5404
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
One of the few ~70s design aesthetics that are actually nice.
Another found in your forum avatar pic.

05-10-2018, 11:56 AM   #5405
Pentaxian

Another found in your forum avatar pic.

The Ricoh Super Shot is pretty classy
05-10-2018, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #5406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First Camera

Back in 1949 my sister and I were given our first cameras - matching Kodak Baby Brownies:
Name:  BB.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  184.1 KB
These used 127 film and took 8 rectangular pictures. The processors normally contact-printed the film and gave a little yellow booklet with the photos clipped in, perforated so you could tear them out as wanted.
Of course they used a simple meniscus lens, but compensated a bit by having a curved film "plane" to keep the sides more in focus. (Curved sensors aren't really new.) Curving the film like that also kept it from buckling and made it more stable.
Of course, fixed focus, fixed aperture, fixed shutter speed, no flash - so outdoors shots only.
Yet we sure enjoyed the pictures we got from these.
The first films I developed were also 127, but from a later Holiday Flash (I think) Brownie. Loaded film into a Kodak plastic tank with a plastic ribbon to keep layers separate, using a guest-room closet for a "changing bag", and developed in Microdol-X. Then contact printed.
I found this one on eBay, and then searched for 127 film, which has largely disappeared in the last couple of years. I got a few rolls (B&W) from Japan, and each roll cost a lot more than the camera.
I'll try it out one of these days.

I also have a 1915 Kodak Vest-Pocket Autographic folding camera that is also 127. If I can fix the bellows leaks I'll try that also. And I have inherited two similar folding Autographics that take 120 film, so I'll try one of those also.
05-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #5407
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

I thought that looked like a Marantz. A longtime friend has one, bought new way back when . . . . .

And I bet you did plenty of wandering on the FM dial.

05-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #5408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I found this one on eBay, and then searched for 127 film, which has largely disappeared in the last couple of years. I got a few rolls (B&W) from Japan, and each roll cost a lot more than the camera.
Yep. There are basically two sources of 127 film these days: Rera Pan and Bluefire.

The Frugal Photographer site is pretty open about their Bluefire films being 120 films cropped down to 127 size & respooled with new backing. (HP5 for their B&W. Portra 400 for one of their colour films, and I suspect Portra 160 for their other.)

Rera Pan is somewhat more difficult to determine, but I'd wager it's a rebadge of another manufacturer's emulsion. If so, it's probably Fuji Acros — which would mean there will soon be just one source for fresh 127 film.
05-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #5409
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Yep. There are basically two sources of 127 film these days: Rera Pan and Bluefire.

The Frugal Photographer site is pretty open about their Bluefire films being 120 films cropped down to 127 size & respooled with new backing. (HP5 for their B&W. Portra 400 for one of their colour films, and I suspect Portra 160 for their other.)

Rera Pan is somewhat more difficult to determine, but I'd wager it's a rebadge of another manufacturer's emulsion. If so, it's probably Fuji Acros — which would mean there will soon be just one source for fresh 127 film.

Hmm, nice. I thought Rera Pan was the only available 127 film. I wonder where they get the spools?
05-10-2018, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #5410
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought that looked like a Marantz. A longtime friend has one, bought new way back when . . . . .

And I bet you did plenty of wandering on the FM dial.
Indeed. Best tuning dial ever made. A close second was the Pioneer SX-727 I had for a lonnnnng time, bought new by my pops around '70.... something?
Had a couple other Pioneers, a gigantic quad Sansui and one or two others I can't really remember. The Marantz has the most pleasant and rounded sound and seems to the most power for its rating. I've certainly never brought it near to a struggle, but I don't have several large speakers like I once did. For its size it's just beautiful to look at and far more than adequate for my listening and movie-going.
05-11-2018, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #5411
Pentaxian

Indeed. Best tuning dial ever made. A close second was the Pioneer SX-727 I had for a lonnnnng time, bought new by my pops around '70.... something?
Had a couple other Pioneers, a gigantic quad Sansui and one or two others I can't really remember. The Marantz has the most pleasant and rounded sound and seems to the most power for its rating. I've certainly never brought it near to a struggle, but I don't have several large speakers like I once did. For its size it's just beautiful to look at and far more than adequate for my listening and movie-going.
I believe the SX-727 was a huge favorite in the Navy Exchanges around the world at that time. I had my Pioneer kit and Teac reel to reel tape deck (ordered from Japan) shipped home while in Diego Garcia (71-72)
05-11-2018, 07:19 AM   #5412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

Likely right on Rera Pan, as there are reports it is no longer being made. I feel lucky to get a few rolls. For the old 127 box cameras it was the choice, as the exposure settings expect about a 100 speed film, so HP5 and such aren't ideal, but would be fine for Baby Rollie's and other more refined cameras. Perhaps one of the film startups will fill the void someday.
05-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #5413
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
I believe the SX-727 was a huge favorite in the Navy Exchanges around the world at that time. I had my Pioneer kit and Teac reel to reel tape deck (ordered from Japan) shipped home while in Diego Garcia (71-72)
Both the 727 and 737 were great (are great) - the smaller one like quite a few punched well above their weight compared to today's.
I also had a QX-949 quad that was a beast nothing like that Sansui but still a beast. I kept it the longest a decade ago then switched out to this Marantz to simplify things and have been running it since.

Man I haven't had a reel-to-reel in forever. Had quite a number of tapes - still have a few but let most go quite a long while back.
05-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #5414
Pentaxian

Likely right on Rera Pan, as there are reports it is no longer being made. I feel lucky to get a few rolls. For the old 127 box cameras it was the choice, as the exposure settings expect about a 100 speed film, so HP5 and such aren't ideal, but would be fine for Baby Rollie's and other more refined cameras. Perhaps one of the film startups will fill the void someday.

So, is Across basically Fuji's T-Max, then? The roll I've had developed reminds me of T-Max with the sharp detail, and very high contrast.
05-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #5415
Pentaxian

I've never shot it, as I don't have any way to develop 127 B&W. For C-41 stuff my lab just slaps a leader onto it & runs it through as if it was 120 film.

You could probably get away with using Portra 160 in a 127 box or vest pocket camera, though a lot of the older cameras likely don't have colour-corrected lenses. For B&W I guess options are now reduced to pulling HP5 2 stops.

Last edited by g026r; 05-11-2018 at 02:25 PM.