Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2018, 02:17 PM   #5626
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Should I shoot the Kodachrome and develop as black and white?
Nice haul!

I'd keep the Kodachrome for now, maybe someone will come up with a new developer for Kodachrome using new chemicals. (Stranger things have happened)

Phil.

08-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #5627
Veteran Member

The roll that interests me the most is the Technical Pan. You see a lot online about amazing resolution, but sadly there is only one roll, so no real time to learn it.
08-08-2018, 03:18 PM - 7 Likes   #5628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S-M-C Takumar 24mm f/3.5.
08-08-2018, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #5629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I gave the last of my Kodachrome to the local camera shop. One roll went in their ‘museum’ while the rest went in their ‘free’ bin to be grabbed by art students 🙂

-Eric

08-15-2018, 04:47 PM - 5 Likes   #5630
Veteran Member

So I thought I was done with acquiring cameras, but I wanted to give the rangefinder approach a try. Sadly Leicas are out of my price range, and while I would mind the cost of a Nikon S2 or Canon 7S, I decided I needed to start small and invest a minimal amount, just to try the feel of a rangefinder, so I found a Canonet QL17 GIII from Roberts, with a 6 month warranty for a pretty reasonable price (not the cheapest you’ll find on eBay, the warranty counts for something when most of the cheaper ones on eBay have something wrong with them.). I don’t have it yet, but here it is:
08-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #5631
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
So I thought I was done with acquiring cameras, but I wanted to give the rangefinder approach a try. Sadly Leicas are out of my price range, and while I would mind the cost of a Nikon S2 or Canon 7S, I decided I needed to start small and invest a minimal amount, just to try the feel of a rangefinder, so I found a Canonet QL17 GIII from Roberts, with a 6 month warranty for a pretty reasonable price (not the cheapest you’ll find on eBay, the warranty counts for something when most of the cheaper ones on eBay have something wrong with them.). I don’t have it yet, but here it is:
Nice looking Canonet. I've had a few of those over the years, but never really took to them. They are great cameras when they are working properly. Should be good intro to rangefinder cameras.
08-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #5632
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A couple of new film acquisitions. I know they aren't Pentaxes, but they sure are pretty.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV  Photo 
08-19-2018, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #5633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
A couple of new film acquisitions. I know they aren't Pentaxes, but they sure are pretty.
How'd you mount the lenses upside-down?
08-19-2018, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #5634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
They aren't upside-down. Everybody knows that the handles go on top!
08-20-2018, 03:49 AM   #5635
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
That's to obscure the brand and try to hide that they're not Pentaxes

I like my EOS 30s (same as Elan 7 in the US???) especially with the grip. They really get out of the way and let you take pictures. I'd love to try one of the pro models some time but the one's I've seen for sale have been few and far between, and always either very expensive or obviously been through a lot of use.
08-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #5636
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That's to obscure the brand and try to hide that they're not Pentaxes

I like my EOS 30s (same as Elan 7 in the US???) especially with the grip. They really get out of the way and let you take pictures. I'd love to try one of the pro models some time but the one's I've seen for sale have been few and far between, and always either very expensive or obviously been through a lot of use.
How do you like the eye-directed AF?

Steve
08-20-2018, 06:23 PM   #5637
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Like many who have tried it, I'm not impressed. If I could look at the eyeball of the subject that I'm photographing and have it nail focus there 90% of the time, I'd be happy with it. With the EOS 3, I'm lucky if it picks the AF point next to the one I want better than half the time. Way too often it picks a point two or more away. I want focus on the eye and I get a chin or an ear instead. I know what people are thinking already too, "You have to run the calibration several times to improve the accuracy." I cleared the cal channels when I first got the camera and calibrated it to my eye both horizontally and vertically at least two dozen times each, under varying lighting conditions. I'd almost say that the more times I run the cal, the more erratic the performance becomes.

Having said that, when I treat it like the 20 year old technology that it is and use center point focus/recompose like I did with my old D30 or my 10 or 20D, it performs exceptionally well, even in low light, far better than the D30 ever did and probably better than the 10D and 20D. My 5D4 and 7D2 don't have eye control and I'm able to make them work for me. The EOS 3 is no different when I use it within its design limitations. There may be situations where the ECF feature is useful, but I just haven't found one yet.
08-21-2018, 02:08 AM   #5638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Like ctrout above I've found it to be very hit-and-miss. I turn it off and use focus and recompose most of the time or manually select the focus point when needed.
08-21-2018, 02:53 AM   #5639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Like many who have tried it, I'm not impressed. If I could look at the eyeball of the subject that I'm photographing and have it nail focus there 90% of the time, I'd be happy with it. With the EOS 3, I'm lucky if it picks the AF point next to the one I want better than half the time. Way too often it picks a point two or more away. I want focus on the eye and I get a chin or an ear instead. I know what people are thinking already too, "You have to run the calibration several times to improve the accuracy." I cleared the cal channels when I first got the camera and calibrated it to my eye both horizontally and vertically at least two dozen times each, under varying lighting conditions. I'd almost say that the more times I run the cal, the more erratic the performance becomes.
I pretty much agree with this as my experience with an EOS 5 film camera - it had 5 points across the middle of the frame. I wear eyeglasses which is unlikely to help but I also found the more I calibrated it the worse it got. Not that it's really an issue - I only use centre-point AF anyway on any of my cameras.

John.
08-21-2018, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #5640
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bow down to the great King NEd!

I decided my daughter (who is five) needed a real camera...
I may have lost my mind... why I think she can run a SLR when she has fits with the Optio W60... but perhaps a father's overestimation of his child is not always bad

So I picked up the infamous NEd camera from every American's favorite charity auction site.
Some of you may know it as the P3N, but I know the truth...

Like many things from that site, all was not good when it arrived. The front of the lens was loose and it wouldn't fire a flash.
Cleaning the hot shoe fixed the latter, and removing the lens trim ring and tightening the three screws inside the front fixed the former.
The lens (SMC-M 50mm f1.7) is nice and clear, but I've immediately swapped it for a SMC-A 50mm f2.0 to get A functionality since my daughter does not understand fractions and will likely have a hard time with shutter speeds for a few more years. The 1.7 will go on the K1000 or perhaps the KX when it comes back from Eric.

I will ask if anyone knows how to de-yellow the lettering on the lens. It looks like it lived with a heavy smoker... though it doesn't smell like it...

NEd will hopefully pair well with my AF160Sa flash (no TTL either way, so that's easy...)

-Eric