Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9437 Likes Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 11:46 AM   #5836
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I'm happy to shoot Canon glass on my Leica.
Agreed! The larger question is whether you will mate it to an Industrar-61 or Jupiter-8.

Steve

(...go ahead, I dare you...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-24-2018 at 11:55 AM.
11-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #5837
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Zeiss, Voigtlander, Canon, Pentax, Minolta, Ricoh, Nikon and Konica
I knew about the others, but not Ricoh. Did they make a Rikenon to go with the M-mount module for the GXR?

Steve
11-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #5838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Agreed! The larger question is whether you will mate it to an Industrar-61 or Jupiter-8.

Steve

Well I have tried an Industar 22, and on the Japanese side (besides many Canon), Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-Q and Nikkor H-C; Konishioku Hexar; Tokyo Optical C.Simlar; Chiyoko Super Rokkor; Leotax Camera Leonon (f2); and Tanaka Kogaku Tanar. All were made in E39 Leica Thread Mount (ltm) and so also work on the lates Leica M-mount digital cameras with adapter. (The Industar 22 not so well, as it only focuses well on the Russian clones.)
Oh yes, also in the USA Wollensak and even Kodak made lenses to fit Leica in the '40s & '50s and Taylor & Hobson in England.
Many of these makes were made for various Leica Clones when their German patents were invalidated for WWII.
11-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #5839
Veteran Member

Steve

I have no qualms about using Soviet lenses on my M2.
I will likely use my Jupiter-12, and will probably try the Industar-61 and Jupiter-8. All are perfectly good lenses.
I've actually sold a few 12x18 prints in the past few months, and both images were made using the Jupiter-12.

11-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #5840
Pentaxian

I knew about the others, but not Ricoh. Did they make a Rikenon to go with the M-mount module for the GXR?

Steve
Ricoh made both of the 35mm GR lenses (28/f2.8 and 21/f3.5) in a rangefinder-coupled LTM version. Much like Pentax with the 43mm Ltd LTM. They are hard to find nowadays and I believe the 21mm was only released to the Japanese market.
11-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #5841
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Ricoh made both of the 35mm GR lenses (28/f2.8 and 21/f3.5) in a rangefinder-coupled LTM version. Much like Pentax with the 43mm Ltd LTM. They are hard to find nowadays and I believe the 21mm was only released to the Japanese market.
Expensive...

ricoh ltm | eBay
11-24-2018, 07:49 PM   #5842
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by abruzzi Quote
Expensive...

ricoh ltm | eBay
Pretty standard in Leica Land unfortunately*...

Check the price of the Pentax 43mm Ltd LTM compared to the K mount version...

*Actually, one just popped up in one of my FB classified groups for $1500, attached to a very nice looking Leica IIIg

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 11-25-2018 at 12:18 AM.
11-25-2018, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #5843
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quality - Before SLRs

Back in the 1950s "Quality" indicated fine workmanship and attention to detail. This lens is a "Serenar" - which was Canon's lens brand before they simply used "Canon" - so this lens would have been before about 1954. A tiny 35mm f2.8 lens for Canon (or Leica) Rangefinder cameras, impeccably made and finished, sold along with a 35mm viewfinder (the RF cameras of the time had only a 50mm viewfinder frame) that has parallax compensation built in.
Name:  Quality.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  440.2 KB
And packaged in a fine leather case to hold both, velvet lined, of course.
Name:  Quality2.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  354.3 KB
Today such detail on a 35mm 2.8 lens seems out of place, but then 35mm was the main wide-angle choice, and a 2.8 35 was a fast lens. At that time Leica's 35 mm lens was f3.5, and they didn't introduce a 2.8 version until 1958.
I've used this lens on a Leica M10 digital, and results are very nice,
11-25-2018, 10:25 AM - 3 Likes   #5844
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exif - 1925

EXIF data was important so some film photographers waaaay back before digital. Here's a Vest Pocket Kodak Autographic Model B which was introduced in 1925:
Name:  EXIF1925.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  136.5 KB
(Sorry for the motion blur - my tripod wasn't steady enough.)
This indeed was a tiny camera when folded that would fit a vest pocket - about as small as the Leica model A of about the same time, but the Kodak used 127 film. The camera has shutter speeds of "T" and "I" (instant) and 4 punched-hole apertures that could be selected by turning a disk just in front of the lens (a doublet). Notice that the camera came with a small metal stylus in a holder by the front of the lens. This was used with special Autographic film to record notes on each exposure.
The Autographic film had a special "carbon paper" layer between the paper backing and the actual film layer. The back of the camera had a slide to open a slot where you could see the film paper backing at one end of the frame:
Name:  EXIF1925-2.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  452.5 KB
You would "write" with the stylus on the film back at the slot, and the carbon paper would form the note on the back side of the film, where Kodak's special (?) processing would preserve it so it would show on the finished print.
I've found some 127 film to try in it, but of course the "Autographic" version hasn't been made for some 75 years. Once I fix some bellows light leaks I'll see how it does - without the EXIF.
I've inherited 2 Autographic cameras from grandparents, and I remember them trying to make notes using the feature in the 1950s, but of course there was no autographic film available then.
11-25-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #5845
Veteran Member

Nice Serenar outfit, Tom. I have the same thing, only mine is the somewhat uncommon 35mm f/3.2. Same case, same finder. I've shot with it some with my Sony NEX 7 and I can't fault if for contrast or sharpness. It's a nice lens.

Here it is, with finder on the IIIa it came with:

I would like to add more lenses to my Canon collection. Currently I have a 50/1.8 Serenar, a 100/4 Serenar, a 135/3.5 Kyoei Super Acall, and the above 35/3.2 Serenar. But they sure have gotten spendy. I've found that, often the cheapest way to buy a Canon RF lens is to look for a camera with the lens attached. Often one can get a better deal that way. That's the way I got both the 35 and the 50. Bought both outfits for about what the camera was worth and didn't have to pay a premium for the attached lens.
11-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #5846
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
You would "write" with the stylus on the film back at the slot, and the carbon paper would form the note on the back side of the film, where Kodak's special (?) processing would preserve it so it would show on the finished print.
That’s kind of awesome.

I capture EXIF for almost all of my film shots (camera, lens, film, iso, aperture, shutter speed, and geotag) using my phone. The app is less than perfect though, so I’m considering writing my own
11-27-2018, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #5847
Pentaxian

Gift CHINON TTL 'Prinzflex'

a Camera Club member gave me this Chinon TTL marked 'Prinzflex' as sold by the photo chain 'Dixons' in UK -- it takes M42 lenses. It needed a good clean up -- new foam seals, lubricated lens mount as it was so stiff at first, lubricated cogs and levers in Base-Plate-- now it winds on 'Sweetly' and the 1.4 lens is SHARP too ! I took some test shots with several M42 lenses.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ScanJet 4570  Photo 
11-27-2018, 08:08 AM - 8 Likes   #5848
Pentaxian

1956 MINOLTA Autocord

I met an 89 year old Gent and his Wife while out with one of my 'Classic cameras' and he said " do you like Old Cameras ? I have some you can have if you are interested" -- so i gave my Contact Details --- Did not hear anything until a YEAR LATER when he phoned so I rushed there to see many camera bags laid out for me all dusty ! I had a look -- inside one were several Olympus -- XA, PEN EE, etc and at bottom a dirty brown case which housed a Minolta Autocord !
I always wanted one -- this one was 1956 era with an Optiper MXS Shutter, 75mm f3.5 Chiyoko-Rokkor lens and it was filthy ! Anyway -- I got all the gear home, including a 'Mint' Olympus E-500 4/3rds Digital 5mp with 2 lenses, and took off viewfinder of Autocord and cleaned out years of Sahara Desert Sand from mirror box and cleaned mirror with lens fluid and tissues and body with Cotton Buds ( 'Q-Tips' in American I believe) . It all worked still although slow speeds were a bit 'sticky' . The RESULTS are GREAT -- just as sharp as Hasselblad or Rolleiflex ! I did a VIDEO about it too -- you can see it here :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection2480  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection1650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection1650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Perfection2480  Photo 
11-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #5849
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpete Quote
I met an 89 year old Gent and his Wife while out with one of my 'Classic cameras' and he said " do you like Old Cameras ? I have some you can have if you are interested" -- so i gave my Contact Details --- Did not hear anything until a YEAR LATER when he phoned so I rushed there to see many camera bags laid out for me all dusty ! I had a look -- inside one were several Olympus -- XA, PEN EE, etc and at bottom a dirty brown case which housed a Minolta Autocord !
I always wanted one -- this one was 1956 era with an Optiper MXS Shutter, 75mm f3.5 Chiyoko-Rokkor lens and it was filthy ! Anyway -- I got all the gear home, including a 'Mint' Olympus E-500 4/3rds Digital 5mp with 2 lenses, and took off viewfinder of Autocord and cleaned out years of Sahara Desert Sand from mirror box and cleaned mirror with lens fluid and tissues and body with Cotton Buds ( 'Q-Tips' in American I believe) . It all worked still although slow speeds were a bit 'sticky' . The RESULTS are GREAT -- just as sharp as Hasselblad or Rolleiflex ! I did a VIDEO about it too -- you can see it here :
Minolta Autocord-- another 'Treasure' !! - YouTube
Wow! What a find! I have often thought of getting an Autocord based on testimonials similar to yours.

Steve
11-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #5850
Pentaxian

Seems like the recommended TLRs are all getting spendy...

Rolliflex, Rollicord, and Autocord.

I should save up and buy the Autocord at my local camera shop...