Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9444 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 06:05 PM - 2 Likes   #6151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jonathan, you mentioned you have a Tamron. Why not pick up an Adaptall-2 mount for Nikon for it, and give your F100 a spin with it?

Cuthbert, you ain't lived as an old-school Canon pro until you've schlepped around an old F-1 with Motor Drive MF and a big heavy lens like that 55/1.2 or even an 85/1.2 -- or 300/2.8 or . . .

When I was about 30 years younger, I didn't think anything of it. These days, well, I do try.

07-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #6152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Jonathan, you mentioned you have a Tamron. Why not pick up an Adaptall-2 mount for Nikon for it, and give your F100 a spin with it?
Tamron is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I sold my adaptall lens as I only bought it for the PK adapter in case I ever find an adaptall lens I'm interested in (as they're mostly slow tele-zooms and medicre quality 28mms there aren't many) but it seems there are cheap Tamrons out there for Nikon and one of them would do the job. Unfortunately I'm outside Madrid for the summer in a place where the used market is very slow, so difficult to pick anything up locally, although it'll also be difficult to sell the F100 here for the same reason.
07-18-2019, 08:34 AM - 2 Likes   #6153
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
in case I ever find an adaptall lens I'm interested in (as they're mostly slow tele-zooms and medicre quality 28mms there aren't many)
My Adaptall lenses are offended, particularly the quite competent and compact 28/2.5 (02B); they spit in your direction.

Steve
07-18-2019, 02:17 PM - 5 Likes   #6154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cuthbert, you ain't lived as an old-school Canon pro until you've schlepped around an old F-1 with Motor Drive MF and a big heavy lens like that 55/1.2 or even an 85/1.2 -- or 300/2.8 or . . .
I assume you didn't do street photography with the F-1 old and the motordrive, for that application I usually use the Fujica as it's quite compact, or the K2DMD which is bid but no so big...however this is my 1.2 club.

In order: Godzilla, F-1 New with FD50mm 1.2, Canon 7s with 50mm f1.2, K2DMD with the K50mm 1.2, and finally the Fujica AX5 with Fujinon 50mm f1.2

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HUAWEI VNS-L31  Photo 
07-19-2019, 03:20 PM - 6 Likes   #6155
Veteran Member

Before coming back to film a few years ago, the only SLR I ever had was a Olympus OM-10. Got it in 1982, not too long after enlisting in the US Coast Guard. Used it from Hawaii to the Arctic Circle and Alaska while on a High Endurance Cutter, search & rescue missions while stationed at a Motor Lifeboat Station on the Oregon Coast and kayak & backpacking trips after my enlistment. Though it is a lower end economy model and when compared to the ME Super you can really feel the lower quality, but it never failed me. Sold it in 91' needing cash for down payment on a house along with most everything else I owned, but still have the house. Been wanting to get another for nostalgia reasons and it just arrived today. Both the body & lens is in excellent condition, better than my original when I sold it. Still wish I had the original, the marks and scrapes where all memories, but this one will be a good replacement.
07-19-2019, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #6156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I assume you didn't do street photography with the F-1 old and the motordrive, for that application I usually use the Fujica as it's quite compact, or the K2DMD which is bid but no so big...however this is my 1.2 club.

In order: Godzilla, F-1 New with FD50mm 1.2, Canon 7s with 50mm f1.2, K2DMD with the K50mm 1.2, and finally the Fujica AX5 with Fujinon 50mm f1.2
Your recent posts have stirred my blood. I haven’t shot any film for months but I just got up and pulled the K50/1.2 and one of the K2DMD’s out of the drawers* and opened the film drawer in the fridge. That combo is a thing of beauty for sure, and a hefty lump.

The weather will be favorable Sunday . . . .
07-19-2019, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #6157
Veteran Member

I assume you didn't do street photography with the F-1 old and the motordrive,
Nope, I was a freelance motorsports photographer back in those days. I walked all over the race tracks I shot at. For street stuff, I had lighter cameras. One of my favorites was a Canon IVSb rangefinder with 50/1.8 Serenar. I didn't have any of that exotic fast glass like you have back then. But I didn't need it for what I did, either. My most exotic lens back in those days was a Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF. A great lens for motorsports, it was.

07-20-2019, 09:24 AM - 3 Likes   #6158
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Your recent posts have stirred my blood. I haven’t shot any film for months but I just got up and pulled the K50/1.2 and one of the K2DMD’s out of the drawers* and opened the film drawer in the fridge. That combo is a thing of beauty for sure, and a hefty lump.

The weather will be favorable Sunday . . . .
It's the Call of the 2DMD...do it!

Nope, I was a freelance motorsports photographer back in those days. I walked all over the race tracks I shot at. For street stuff, I had lighter cameras. One of my favorites was a Canon IVSb rangefinder with 50/1.8 Serenar. I didn't have any of that exotic fast glass like you have back then. But I didn't need it for what I did, either. My most exotic lens back in those days was a Tamron SP 300mm f/2.8 LD IF. A great lens for motorsports, it was.
I like to shoot with narrow DOF and isolate subjects, that is the reason why I like fast lenses, but yes for street a LX with M50mm f1.4 or a Praktica B with Pancolar 1.4 is better for my back.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
HUAWEI VNS-L31  Photo 

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-20-2019 at 09:36 AM.
07-20-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #6159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K2+K50/1.2 has film in it...

Not a DMD though.
07-20-2019, 11:00 AM - 3 Likes   #6160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a ZX-5 new when it came out in kit form with the 35-80 and a case for about $650. I used it for close to 15 yrs then gave it away. Recently had a desire to own one again...so got a body ($13.50), battery grip ($24) and SMC P 28-200($40).

07-20-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #6161
Veteran Member

I like to shoot with narrow DOF and isolate subjects, that is the reason why I like fast lenses, but yes for street a LX with M50mm f1.4 or a Praktica B with Pancolar 1.4 is better for my back.
I'm the same way with regard to fast glass. I do own a Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC like yours, plus an FD 85mm f/1.2 Aspherical. These two are fun for the narrow DOF stuff, especially the 85. The 300/2.8 Tamron is no slouch in that department either. For street stuff, I prefer substantially more depth of field. I prefer a moderate wide angle -- a 35mm lens in 35mm format, and I'll dial in enough depth of field such that I can use the hyperfocal setting on the lens. That way I don't even have to bring the camera up to my face and I can shoot from the hip or shoulder or what have you, for more incognito shots. Plus, I prefer that slight distortion caused by the moderate wideness of a 35mm lens.It adds a slight exaggeration to a scene which can often increase its drama slightly.
07-20-2019, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #6162
Veteran Member

I'm the same way with regard to fast glass. I do own a Canon FD 55/1.2 SSC like yours, plus an FD 85mm f/1.2 Aspherical. These two are fun for the narrow DOF stuff, especially the 85. The 300/2.8 Tamron is no slouch in that department either. For street stuff, I prefer substantially more depth of field. I prefer a moderate wide angle -- a 35mm lens in 35mm format, and I'll dial in enough depth of field such that I can use the hyperfocal setting on the lens. That way I don't even have to bring the camera up to my face and I can shoot from the hip or shoulder or what have you, for more incognito shots. Plus, I prefer that slight distortion caused by the moderate wideness of a 35mm lens.It adds a slight exaggeration to a scene which can often increase its drama slightly.
I use the expression "street photography" loosely, for me it's getting a camera, have a walk in an interesting place and look for...appropriate targets.

For instance this, taken with a Nikkor 85mm f1.8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SP-3000  Photo 
07-20-2019, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6163
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I use the expression "street photography" loosely, for me it's getting a camera, have a walk in an interesting place and look for...appropriate targets.
Same here...

When Fish Get Lost

Steve
07-22-2019, 06:20 AM - 2 Likes   #6164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Same here...

When Fish Get Lost

Steve

Those markings must show the way to school.
07-22-2019, 08:03 PM - 6 Likes   #6165
Veteran Member

I have also succumbed to the allure of the 50/1.2. My favourite lens on 35mm