Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #6391
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Just finished (except for the rear-door seals which I've not bothered with quite yet) refreshing the OM-1n that belonged to my brother-in-law's dad. He had with him on a couple tours of duty (though I don't know any details). He shot many cameras (including a Hasselblad I believe is still lost in a second storage unit yet to be sorted through). He was a heavy smoker and of all the cameras that have come out of similar environments I'd never had one in my possession that was *THAT* drenched in the smell. Every corner of this thing smelled like deep inside an ashtray. It's much much more subtle now, but I doubt it'll ever completely go away.

. . .

Anyhow. It's good enough to shoot. Funny to me because I don't particularly care for it, particularly when compared to it's Asahi counterpart, and don't much want to run a test roll through.
Second hand smell . . .

The controls are not very traditional so it does take a little getting used to if you are so inclined.

---------- Post added 12-07-19 at 10:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Speaking of OM's

I've been really keen to try an OM1 for years (since I got into 35mm photography really).

I finally found a nice single-owner kit locally earlier this year. It was in beautiful condition, had been sitting on a shelf for a couple of decades after the owner went digital. The hardware was all good (luckily no viewfinder issues) but there were a bunch of mechanical gremlins. The main one being that the shutter would only fire at about 1/125", regardless of where the dial was set.

Anyway, I just got it back from Yoshi at Nagami Camera Service and it's working a treat. It'll be interesting to use it side-by-side with the MX
There really is something about these marvelous machines when they have been serviced competently.
I am a fan of the OM lineup simply because I think it motivated Pentax to release the MX and the LX so I am thankful for that.

---------- Post added 12-07-19 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
You should give a chance and shoot with it
Everyone I know that shoots with the OM-1 seems to really like them.
A friend gave me his old OM-1N last year. I gave it to my daughter so I haven't shot with it, but it's a pretty cool camera.
I was out in wilderness and a couple of hikers happened to come by and was complimenting me on the beautiful camera I was using - OM1. Of course they took it too far when they said that it must take good pictures . . .

12-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #6392
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Second hand smell . . .

The controls are not very traditional so it does take a little getting used to if you are so inclined.
I've had quite a number smoke-environment cams come through my hands. I'm also an ex-smoker of 25 years until just over 5 years ago. But I've never had one that smelled this thick, particularly after being in storage for as long as it had been. Putting the camera to your face in the first month it was in the house was like putting your head an inch away from one of those never-really-cleaned sand ashtrays outside office environments. It was *palpable*. I'm convinced he never took a photo with without a ciggie hanging from his lip.

I've never quite cared for shutter selection on the lens barrel for the most part, and just overall, I think the MX handles better in every way. I also can't get used to the grinding/notchy feel of the advance which is apparently a common critique. Make no mistake, I can't deny it's appeal, but it doesn't gel with me.

---------- Post added 12-07-19 at 10:47 PM ----------

You should give a chance and shoot with it
Everyone I know that shoots with the OM-1 seems to really like them.
A friend gave me his old OM-1N last year. I gave it to my daughter so I haven't shot with it, but it's a pretty cool camera.
I will. I'll put a roll or two through it for certain. I've shot with them a number of times over the years (other's) but never owned one. This one too I've been playing with almost every other night for over a month and it's just never felt right to me personally.
12-08-2019, 12:56 AM   #6393
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I've had quite a number smoke-environment cams come through my hands. I'm also an ex-smoker of 25 years until just over 5 years ago. But I've never had one that smelled this thick, particularly after being in storage for as long as it had been. Putting the camera to your face in the first month it was in the house was like putting your head an inch away from one of those never-really-cleaned sand ashtrays outside office environments. It was *palpable*. I'm convinced he never took a photo with without a ciggie hanging from his lip.

I've never quite cared for shutter selection on the lens barrel for the most part, and just overall, I think the MX handles better in every way. I also can't get used to the grinding/notchy feel of the advance which is apparently a common critique. Make no mistake, I can't deny it's appeal, but it doesn't gel with me.
Yup ex smoker here. Started very early in life but fortunately stopped many decades ago now.

All the Olympus slrs I have (PEN-FT and OM1, 2, 3 & 4) have a relatively rough film advance when compared to the Pentax lineup. The OM3 & 4 have an even heavier feel that I understand is due to the addition of 1/2000 shutter speed.
12-08-2019, 01:36 AM   #6394
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first MX was the smoothest camera I’ve ever shot that didn’t say Leica on it...

My current one is a little coarser, but that’s one of the things I like about using it.

None of the K bodies I’ve shot with have been that smooth.

-Eric

12-08-2019, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #6395
Pentaxian

When it comes to smooth, by far the smoothest film advance and best sounding shutter I have is the Minolta XE-7.

The film advance is so light across the full stroke that the only way I know the film advances is by looking at the frame counter.
I have a few other Minoltas that are all very smooth - and even the Nikon F3 supposedly incroporates many ball bearings for smoothness, but the XE-7 is measurably smoother.
12-10-2019, 03:02 AM - 4 Likes   #6396
Pentaxian

M2 and the wonderful new Voigtlander 35/f2

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 12-10-2019 at 01:18 PM.
12-10-2019, 03:55 AM   #6397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it comes to smooth, by far the smoothest film advance and best sounding shutter I have is the Minolta XE-7.

The film advance is so light across the full stroke that the only way I know the film advances is by looking at the frame counter.
I have a few other Minoltas that are all very smooth - and even the Nikon F3 supposedly incroporates many ball bearings for smoothness, but the XE-7 is measurably smoother.

Agreed 100%
The XE-7 handling and shutter operation is a delight to experience. I almost went to the Minolta system in the late '70s for that camera. Don't forget it was a product of the cooperation between Leica and Minolta which also produced the sister model leica R3.
I recently acquired a couple XE-7 bodies and they are still beautiful.

12-10-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #6398
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Agreed 100%
The XE-7 handling and shutter operation is a delight to experience. I almost went to the Minolta system in the late '70s for that camera. Don't forget it was a product of the cooperation between Leica and Minolta which also produced the sister model leica R3.
I recently acquired a couple XE-7 bodies and they are still beautiful.
You folk are not helping my camera buying addiction.

Steve
12-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #6399
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

M2 and the wonderful new Voigtlander 25/f2
I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the V/C 25/2. I have been wanting a wider lens in that range.

Steve
12-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #6400
Veteran Member

M2 and the wonderful new Voigtlander 25/f2
25/2? Or 35/2?
12-10-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #6401
Pentaxian

25/2? Or 35/2?
You haven’t heard about the new 25/f2?

Lol corrected
12-10-2019, 06:45 PM - 3 Likes   #6402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You folk are not helping my camera buying addiction.

Steve
Here is the Modern Photography June 1975 XE-7 review if you're interested . . .

Of course, it is much better to use it then to read about it . . . if you're thinking about it . . .
12-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #6403
Veteran Member

You haven’t heard about the new 25/f2?

Lol corrected
Link! LINK PLEASE. I'm ordering.

(Seriously though, that sounds fun, if imaginary.)

---------- Post added 12-10-19 at 11:28 PM ----------

Anyone around these parts have one these, the swan-song of Konica? (and have thoughts on it?)

This one is not mine (just a grab from Flickr) but I've been seeking one nightly for two weeks now, or rather one that is affordable *and* working - a tall order.
The early '80s were not kind to camera longevity. I'm half-tempted to go to Greg Weber for one, but I know what that will cost.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 12-11-2019 at 12:29 AM.
12-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #6404
Pentaxian

I shoot Minolta gear but have so far stuck to SR bodies as the later X-300, X-700 and their derivatives are known for their very poor electronics, but I might have to keep an eye open for the XE-7...
12-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #6405
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery