Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #6706
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
6x7 Takumar 600/4 next to some M-mount lenses for a size difference.

You are what you eat, eh?

Steve

03-10-2020, 06:21 AM - 8 Likes   #6707
Pentaxian

Cross-posted to the latest acquisition thread.

IMG7268a
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

IMG7273a

IMG7282a
03-13-2020, 01:56 PM - 4 Likes   #6708
Pentaxian

A true panorama camera where the lens rotates. I'm hoping to carry this around frequently and see what I get this year.

3 second exposure.
03-13-2020, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #6709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A true panorama camera where the lens rotates.
Every time you post these, I'm amazed, Some unique gear, and wonderful job documenting them.
Thanks for brightening my days

03-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #6710
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Every time you post these, I'm amazed, Some unique gear, and wonderful job documenting them.
Thanks for brightening my days
Thanks. It's fun taking them.
03-14-2020, 05:50 AM - 3 Likes   #6711
Pentaxian

Pentax SV and Super Takumar 50/f1.4 (8-element) taken with a Pentax SV and Super Takumar 50/f1.4 (8-element)

03-14-2020, 09:15 AM - 4 Likes   #6712
Pentaxian

K2DMD and FA 43mm Limited

K2DMD and FA 43mm Limited

03-15-2020, 11:16 AM   #6713
Veteran Member

6x7 Takumar 600/4 next to some M-mount lenses for a size difference.

I bought one of those mortar tubes this past December. They are just a bit on the big side. But I don't mind. I'm used to dragging around big lenses.
03-15-2020, 11:19 AM - 4 Likes   #6714
Veteran Member

My latest yardsale find. Cost me a whopping $5. Needs a CLA, but at that price, I reckon I can afford it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-7  Photo 
03-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #6715
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
My latest yardsale find. Cost me a whopping $5. Needs a CLA, but at that price, I reckon I can afford it.
I had a Rollei 35 that I passed on to another Pentaxian. Beautiful design with a few flaws, notably the bottom-mounted hot shoe. It is definitely a camera for the knowledgeable and patient photographer, as nothing is automatic so tht taking one from resting state to triggering the shutter takes time. The leaf shutter will hopefully be OK. They are generally more rugged and durable than cloth FP shutters.
03-15-2020, 05:08 PM   #6716
Veteran Member

I hope you're right. It's the shutter than needs the CLA. The slow speeds are quite a bit slower than they should be. Like 1/4 second takes just a bit over 2 seconds to complete. And 1/2 hangs. I'd try cleaning it myself, but I haven't had very good luck CLA'ing leaf shutters. There's a good repair shop local to me that is fast, reliable, and reasonably priced, so I'm gonna take it to them.

The TE is, I'm guessing, one of the later models cuz it has a built-in meter and all. Takes a PX 27 -- a 5.6v battery, sort of unusual size. And unfortunately, the original PX 27 was a mercury battery. Replacements are 6v -- I hope that small overage in voltage doesn't affect the meter too much. Not a big deal really. It's an all-mechanical camera, so I can just use the Sunny f/16 rule for outdoor work or, if necessary, I can use an external meter.

Because the 35 TE is a range-focus camera, it seems to me that it would be ideally suited for candids and street photography. The 40mm lens focal length also adds to its usefulness for this sort of work. 40mm is a little wider than normal and a little longer than wide so it should work well for this sort of work.

Last edited by cooltouch; 03-15-2020 at 05:53 PM.
03-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #6717
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope you're right. It's the shutter than needs the CLA. The slow speeds are quite a bit slower than they should be. Like 1/4 second takes just a bit over 2 seconds to complete. And 1/2 hangs. I'd try cleaning it myself, but I haven't had very good luck CLA'ing leaf shutters. There's a good repair shop local to me that is fast, reliable, and reasonably priced, so I'm gonna take it to them.

The TE is, I'm guessing, one of the later models cuz it has a built-in meter and all. Takes a PX 27 -- a 5.6v battery, sort of unusual size. And unfortunately, the original PX 27 was a mercury battery. Replacements are 6v -- I hope that small overage in voltage doesn't affect the meter too much. Not a big deal really. It's an all-mechanical camera, so I can just use the Sunny f/16 rule for outdoor work or, if necessary, I can use an external meter.

Because the 35 TE is a range-focus camera, it seems to me that it would be ideally suited for candids and street photography. The 40mm lens focal length also adds to its usefulness for this sort of work. 40mm is a little wider than normal and a little longer than wide so it should work well for this sort of work.
The original Rollei 35 had a CDS light meter designed by Sekonic. Your "TE" is a later model, however. It has a three-diode system visible in the viewfinder for setting exposure, while the original had a mechanical needle system that you viewed from above. Yours has the Tessar f3.5 that was on the original (later they released a cheaper model with a 3-element Triotar and an upgraded model with a 5-element f2.8 Sonnar). Also, the shutter release button on yours is in a different position from the original. I had the original version but it was made in Singapore whereas the first run was made in Germany.

The Rollei 35 is an ingenious design, but slow to operate. Many modern P&S digitals can run rings around it and still deliver similar image IQ. but there is something satisfying about operating such a mechinical gem.

Try WIKIPEDIA for a short history of the camera.
03-16-2020, 08:33 AM   #6718
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also just got a 35TE and a battery module that holds 4 x Varta V386 button batteries as a work around to the original 5.6V,. The camera meter still does not work, but that's a different story. (Needs a CLA as well)

Phil.
03-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #6719
Veteran Member

Did this battery module come with the camera? Is it available separately?
03-16-2020, 01:31 PM - 3 Likes   #6720
Veteran Member

Been loving the larger negative's I've gotten out of the Pentax 645 so far, decided to take Medium Format one more step - Pentax 6x7 MLU. After a lot of research, decided that a 6x7 MLU, with a non-metered prism, as high as of a serial number as possible and in as close to mint as possible was my search perimeters. Didn't take long to find this beauty and for a good price, $440. Ordered a 67 55mm f4 w/hood within a hour. They both just arrived, everything works, shutter has a good opening at 1/1000, focus screen & prism are in great shape and body & lens are near mint - serial # 4154xxx. And as a bonus, I believe it has a factory installed Multi-Exposure lever (3rd photo) correct ? Will be replacing the light seals, but are good enough to run a roll first, have the material, won't take long to do.

Question - since this a late 6x7 MLU, would a 67 manual be more appropriate ?