Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #6796
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
And a conundrum. The lens in the middle, a Yashica Yashinon 5cm f2, was allegedy made by Tomioka. The two Takumar 55s look similar, so were they made by Tomioka too, or was the Yashica made by Asahi? Or neither? This is quite a well worn debate.
Neither...Chalk it up to "convergent evolution" or the Japanese predilection at the time for copying. There is also the phenomenon of drawing from the same parts bins in the form of suppliers of generic focus rings and such. It is probably enough to say that most of my 60s vintage Japanese lenses resemble each other, mostly because that is how lenses were supposed to look.

Steve

04-26-2020, 07:27 AM - 3 Likes   #6797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two Spotmatic Fs and a SP500

Bargain Hunting on Ebay over the Coronavirus stay at home orders. I won a clean, meter working Spotmatic F, leather case and 50mm SMC Takumar 55/1.8 for $70. A Spotmatic 500, Super Takumar 135/3.5 in excellent , fully working clean condition, plus a dirty Mamyia Sekor 50mm f2 for $30. Finally a Spotmatic F with Soligor 70-210mm. The camera HAD been in mint condition, however the seller left the lens attached and it was destroryed. The Spotmatic received a dent on the top plate near the rewind. After a refund from the seller-I have another clean fully functional SP-F for $31.

The photos of the Spotmatic F with no lens were taken with the 50mm Mamiya Sekor after I cleaned the internal lens elements.
Photos of the SP 500 and Mamiya Sekor 50mm were taken with the SMC Takumar shown on the other Spotmatic F.
Finally, The photos of the Spotmatic F and SMC Takumar 55/1.8 were taken with another SMC Takumar 55/1.8 (They multiply like rabbits!)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-26-2020, 12:00 PM - 2 Likes   #6798
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Bargain Hunting on Ebay over the Coronavirus stay at home orders
I was doing the same on shopgoodwill. lol

I truly believe I love the old offbeat almost redheaded stepchildren of slrs.

Beseler Topcon Auto 100, 1:2 - 35mm, 1:4 - 135mm

Petri, 1:1.8 - 55mm (two of them), and a doubler.

Mamiya\Sekor 500dtl, 1:2 - 50mm, 1:2.8 - 135mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 
04-27-2020, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #6799
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I was doing the same on shopgoodwill. lol

Petri, 1:1.8 - 55mm (two of them), and a doubler.

Mamiya\Sekor 500dtl, 1:2 - 50mm, 1:2.8 - 135mm
I was thinking I've never seen a Topcon 35mm f/2, they must be pretty rare and sought after, then I saw it's a 53mm f/2. Never seen one of them either though.

04-27-2020, 06:51 AM - 4 Likes   #6800
Pentaxian

I think I've posted a picture of this before. The rangefinder is questionable, hence the WA lens, but the shutter has been fine so far — which is frankly amazing, given the age & complexity of that mechanism.

Been trying to find a cheap(ish) copy of the black uncoupled 28mm lens, but so far no luck.

04-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #6801
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I was thinking I've never seen a Topcon 35mm f/2, they must be pretty rare and sought after, then I saw it's a 53mm f/2. Never seen one of them either though.
Ha!
I must of had a moment of dyslexia.
04-28-2020, 05:49 PM - 5 Likes   #6802
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't remember if I posted pics of the ME-F I recently picked up. I wouldn't normally be too interested in the ME-F, but this one is black which I had never seen before. I was having a problem with it...shutter was releasing on wind...turns out the mirror foam was sticky so I replaced all the foam and that seems to have fixed the issue. I've finally puts some film in it so we'll see if it really is working perfectly soon.

04-28-2020, 08:31 PM   #6803
Pentaxian

That the Topcon Uni mount?
04-28-2020, 10:33 PM - 1 Like   #6804
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
That the Topcon Uni mount?
According to camera-wiki, it is one and the same.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://camera-wiki.org/...=1588138320431
04-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #6805
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I

I have a 2AA Braun strobe just like the one near the Topcon. It's been used on or with every camera I've owned since my original Pentax Spotmatic, and it still charges & fires every time. BTW: It does not have the fearful high-voltage contacts.
04-29-2020, 09:35 PM - 4 Likes   #6806
Pentaxian

Family gear

1976 Pentax Spotmatic F and SMC Takumar 50/f1.4 - this is an odd example with a split-prism focussing screen (never officially a Spotmatic option). Purchased new by my parents in Panama. At the time they were sailing from Melbourne to Southhampton on the S.S. Australis. This is the camera that shot most of my childhood, and Mum continued using it until switching to digital in the early-Naughties.

1977 Minolta SRT-101b and Rokkor PF 50/f1.7 - I don't have a lot of info on this body. Purchased new by my Pop and used enthusiastically until his death in the mid-80's, at which point it went into storage until being passed to me.

1975 Nikonos III and UW.Nikkor 28/f3.5 - this one has some stories to tell... Purchased new by my dad during his first job as a clearance and construction diver on the wreckage of the Tasman Bridge (which partially collapsed in early '76 after the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra collided with a pylon). He was a working class 19 year old at the time so I have no idea how he could afford it... He then took it with him to diver training school at Fort Bovisand in the UK, before using it to document a commercial diving career that went to the North Sea, Libya, India, Australia, China and others...

04-29-2020, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #6807
Veteran Member

Always wanted a Nikonos and could have afforded one when I had a diving schlick years ago but never got round to buying one, its well cool though.

Its great all your cameras have stories to tell.
04-30-2020, 06:28 AM   #6808
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Family gear

1976 Pentax Spotmatic F and SMC Takumar 50/f1.4 - this is an odd example with a split-prism focussing screen (never officially a Spotmatic option). Purchased new by my parents in Panama. At the time they were sailing from Melbourne to Southhampton on the S.S. Australis. This is the camera that shot most of my childhood, and Mum continued using it until switching to digital in the early-Naughties.

1977 Minolta SRT-101b and Rokkor PF 50/f1.7 - I don't have a lot of info on this body. Purchased new by my Pop and used enthusiastically until his death in the mid-80's, at which point it went into storage until being passed to me.

1975 Nikonos III and UW.Nikkor 28/f3.5 - this one has some stories to tell... Purchased new by my dad during his first job as a clearance and construction diver on the wreckage of the Tasman Bridge (which partially collapsed in early '76 after the bulk ore carrier Lake Illawarra collided with a pylon). He was a working class 19 year old at the time so I have no idea how he could afford it... He then took it with him to diver training school at Fort Bovisand in the UK, before using it to document a commercial diving career that went to the North Sea, Libya, India, Australia, China and others...
Great to have stories for your cameras, especially when they're still in good working condition.

The only camera I've used that has a family history is the K1000 that belonged to my grandmother. It's in fantastic condition but to my knowledge has not been on any adventures.
04-30-2020, 07:41 AM   #6809
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Its great all your cameras have stories to tell.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Great to have stories for your cameras, especially when they're still in good working condition.
Yeah most of us just buy used cameras online and have no clue on their backstory.

Phil.
04-30-2020, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #6810
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah most of us just buy used cameras online and have no clue on their backstory.

Phil.
That’s true of about half my film cameras - I have no idea who owned them and where they have been. OTOH, My KX docemented our dating and early marriage, my MESuper preserved our memories of the first 15 years of our family growth and I know from discussions with the physician who owned my LX that it traveled the western United States from 1989 to 2014. At least some of my cameras have stories to tell