Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2020, 09:55 AM   #6991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
New lens for my Crown Graphic. A 1990's era Rodenstock APO Sironar N 135/f5.6.

That should put some detail and tonal subtlety onto the negatives

08-19-2020, 10:19 AM - 10 Likes   #6992
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That should put some detail and tonal subtlety onto the negatives
Yeah it does. It mostly brings to the table more contrast and a larger image circle in addition to being a lens that can fold with the camera. The Crown Graphic can do a little front tilt/rise. The Schneider Xenar 135mm that came with the camera just covers the 4x5 negative so no movement.

But the Xenar 135mm f4.7 has more aperture blades and is a bit faster lens with some personality. I've seen people use it a lot with portraits and I thought did well for a 100-year or so lens design. I just had the Xenar repaired and tried it out for the first time with a portrait of Mr. Steller's Jay

\

4x5 Crown Graphic, Xenar 135mm f4.7, FP4+, D-23

Last edited by tuco; 08-19-2020 at 10:26 AM.
08-19-2020, 07:02 PM   #6993
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A 1990's era Rodenstock APO Sironar N 135/f5.6.
I looked at the gear shot, before I looked to the left to see who posted, guessed it was you Tuco,
Sweet shot of a sweet set up.
Thanks for sharing.
I've spoiled my jays on peanuts too, have battles between squirrels (both Gray and Douglas) and the jays, Towhees sneak in and steal them too.
135mm on 4x5 is kind of short for birding...
08-19-2020, 07:20 PM - 3 Likes   #6994
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Thanks for sharing.
I've spoiled my jays on peanuts too, have battles between squirrels (both Gray and Douglas) and the jays, Towhees sneak in and steal them too.
135mm on 4x5 is kind of short for birding...
Thanks.
Mr. Steller's Jay has trained me to feed him. He is a model too and works for peanuts except he demands payment up front which means I can't take picture without him holding his stash with this gear.

08-21-2020, 10:56 AM - 6 Likes   #6995
Forum Member

My trusty P67 sitting on top of one of my latest projects: OBJEK N.1
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 11  Photo 
08-21-2020, 01:25 PM - 3 Likes   #6996
Pentaxian

I now have one more lens in my collection of K-series primes: the 35mm f/2. The following snaps are 5K: the K35/2 on a K2DMD taken using a K-3 and the K50/4 macro by Kris. My Mum couldn't have known: the K-mount wasn't invented when I was born!

K35 f/2 (1) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K35 f/2 (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
08-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #6997
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I now have one more lens in my collection of K-series primes: the 35mm f/2. The following snaps are 5K: the K35/2 on a K2DMD taken using a K-3 and the K50/4 macro by Kris. My Mum couldn't have known: the K-mount wasn't invented when I was born!

I have that lens in M42. It’s one of my favorites on film.

-Eric

08-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #6998
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

Great lens and camera. Does the K2 DMD have an aperture peek window? I've got regular K2s and they don't. I like that feature on my MX and KX bodies. I don't think I've ever seen that feature on another make camera...but there probably is some.

08-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #6999
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Does the K2 DMD have an aperture peek window? I've got regular K2s and they don't.
Yep the "Judas" window was added back to the K2DMD.

Phil.
08-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #7000
Pentaxian

Thanks all, and as Phil said, the
K2DMD has the judas window and a few other upgrades in addition to the extras for the motor drive and the data back. Once one has the knack to change the ISO (utterly unintuitive!) it's a great camera. I got it for peanuts and Eric restored it.

K.
08-22-2020, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #7001
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Does the K2 DMD have an aperture peek window? I've got regular K2s and they don't. I like that feature on my MX and KX bodies. I don't think I've ever seen that feature on another make camera...but there probably is some.
Certainly there are, generally in top-end cameras of the film era; our own LX for a start, which succeded the K2 DMD as the Pentax flagship. Also there were the earlier Nikon F Series with certain viewfinders - the lenses for them had a second inner ring of tiny engraved F numbers specially for the Judas window. Some of the top end Minoltas also did, and the Ricoh XR-7. I'm sure some of the serious collectors here could give a more complete list.

Some film SLRs displayed the F number in the viewfinder by a needle or flags moved by the lens coupling rather than by an optical path - I think the Canon F1 did that. The Olympus OM series could never have a Judas window because the aperture ring of OM lenses was out at the front end, part of the weirdness that put me off buying into their system when I took up photography back then

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 08-22-2020 at 01:01 PM.
08-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #7002
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Some film SLRs displayed the F number in the viewfinder by a needle or flags moved by the lens coupling rather than by an optical path - I think the Canon F1 did that.
The F-1 uses a system similar to the Canon FT/FTb: changing the aperture moves a small circle (aka "the lollipop") in the viewfinder, and you set the shutter speed so that the meter needle lines up with the circle. You can make a guess as to what the aperture is based on the circle's position, but it doesn't definitively tell you the value.

08-26-2020, 01:17 PM - 2 Likes   #7003
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Just sold this H1a beauty to a new film shooter locally. Always love spreading the Pentax film SLR gospel. I still have my beat up H3v (SV), but felt it was time to let this one go. Nothing quite like the S series in terms of pure shooting pleasure in my opinion.

08-27-2020, 09:24 AM - 2 Likes   #7004
Pentaxian

6x7 with Sunpak 4205G

I have never tried this combination before, I would normally use the Sunpak with my K-1. TBH the 6x7 and this flash unit are both so heavy that the single screw fixing is inadequate, and if I were to use this regularly I would make an aluminium plate that would sandwich between them and allow a second screw into the second tapping in the 6x7 body.

The Sunpak 4205G (in Europe, as the GN is 42 meters) was also called the 544 (in N America?). No TTL or dedication (obviously not with the 6x7 anyway), but I can set the shutter to "X" myself, and film era TTL flash, one of the modes in the equivalent Pentax AF400T, is of no use on a modern DSLR.

08-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #7005
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
6x7 with Sunpak 4205G

I have never tried this combination before, I would normally use the Sunpak with my K-1. TBH the 6x7 and this flash unit are both so heavy that the single screw fixing is inadequate, and if I were to use this regularly I would make an aluminium plate that would sandwich between them and allow a second screw into the second tapping in the 6x7 body.

The Sunpak 4205G (in Europe, as the GN is 42 meters) was also called the 544 (in N America?). No TTL or dedication (obviously not with the 6x7 anyway), but I can set the shutter to "X" myself, and film era TTL flash, one of the modes in the equivalent Pentax AF400T, is of no use on a modern DSLR.

They made a number of adapter plates for the Sunpak "potato mashers".
I had one that fit my Hasselblad and Yashicamat; it was very secure.
I don't recall if there was a 6x7 adapter, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'll bet it works a treat with the 6x7, especially with modern batteries...
I found the thyristor was fairly accurate, despite its great distance from the lens.

-Eric