Show Printable Version 9445 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #7351
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
shared with the K2 DMD I believe
I think those battery packs worked with the MX Motor Drive too,
I've heard the MX & LX focussing screens could be interchanged, but never tried it, I have some of each, should experiment someday....

12-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #7352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
Oh! Bravo. Did you use a macro rail?
Yes, an inexpensive Neweer one. 12 second self timer release too. I found that two seconds isn’t enough delay when magnification gets above life size.
12-11-2020, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #7353

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Yes, an inexpensive Neweer one. 12 second self timer release too. I found that two seconds isn’t enough delay when magnification gets above life size.
You should get an inexpensive wireless remote, and use mirror lock up. But whatever you did, these really are outstanding. And the compositions are great. It is a wonderful exposition of looking at something, and really seeing it.
12-12-2020, 04:49 AM   #7354
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asharpe Quote
You should get an inexpensive wireless remote, and use mirror lock up. But whatever you did, these really are outstanding. And the compositions are great. It is a wonderful exposition of looking at something, and really seeing it.
Thank you. The early Asahi Pentax cameras are works of art, so many little details missing from todays excellent cameras.
No need for mirror lockup on a Q7, it is mirrorless. I do need to find my wireless remote.

12-12-2020, 05:15 AM   #7355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
I think those battery packs worked with the MX Motor Drive too,
I've heard the MX & LX focussing screens could be interchanged, but never tried it, I have some of each, should experiment someday....
They can be, but they have a small impact on the metering. I cannot remember which way round now... Probably not enough to bother BW much, but enough to be annoying if you are taking slides.
12-12-2020, 11:35 AM - 3 Likes   #7356
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My latest addition. The ELW is comparable to the K2 with the added feature of the single shot auto winder. I think the Pentax K2 DMD was a better camera with a faster motor drive with continuous mode and aperture viewable in the viewfinder. These features were never match with the Nikkormat or Nikon EL2 line...although surpassed with a Nikon F2.

12-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #7357
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
My latest addition. The ELW is comparable to the K2 with the added feature of the single shot auto winder. I think the Pentax K2 DMD was a better camera with a faster motor drive with continuous mode and aperture viewable in the viewfinder. These features were never match with the Nikkormat or Nikon EL2 line...although surpassed with a Nikon F2.
I always wanted to get this camera just because of the unique battery placement . . .

That looks in great shape!

12-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #7358
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I always wanted to get this camera just because of the unique battery placement . . .

That looks in great shape!
It's very clean, almost mint. Amazed the winder works. They have a nylon gear on the motor that splits (sound familiar). Apparently the MD-11 and 12 also has this issue. I have another AW-1 winder on a Nikon EL2 that had the problem so I bought a couple of brass gear replacement parts from Sover Wong, which leave me an extra one for this winder should the problem surface.

I paid about $70 for this in total (including shipping, tax and fees) without the lens.
12-12-2020, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #7359
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I paid about $70 for this in total (including shipping, tax and fees) without the lens.
That is a "cannot walk away" price for a items in that condition.

Steve
12-12-2020, 04:04 PM - 5 Likes   #7360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just passing time on a Saturday evening.

But I never get tired of the early Pentax models.

This black Asahi Pentax S is showing every sign of beeing used, a lot even, brassing and wear. But it works like a charm after all these years. Not to forget it is more than 60 years old. Some TLC given to it by Pål Vangsøy, Norwegian Pentax technician, gave it new life for many years to come. I had to change mirror and fresnel lens donated from a dead AP.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 12-12-2020 at 04:06 PM. Reason: typo
12-12-2020, 04:24 PM - 5 Likes   #7361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As many of you know, the Pentax S is said to be very rare, around 4 000 copies were made, and about 10% of these were black. I am lucky to have 4 in my collection, three chrome and one black.

So what is so special about the S? It is the first Pentax with a model designation printed on the body. It had a more natural shutter speed progression compared to earlier model, and it was short lived.

This S was bought from a fellow forum member in 2017, Eric gave it new life with a new shutter curtain and a general CLA. The body show almost no signs of wear.
The lens is also special for me. It is the Takumar 55mm f1.8, one of two standard lenses sold with the S. The other was Takumar 55mm f2.2. The latter being much more common as it was also sold for the AP.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-12-2020, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #7362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
But I never get tired of the early Pentax models.
Can't fault you for that! Considering the $5-$15 extra for a black body . . .

---------- Post added 12-12-20 at 08:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is a "cannot walk away" price for a items in that condition.

Steve
I had a similar situation as I was looking for a plain prism for my F2. I was perusing my local CL listing in search for the F2 when I spotted a complete plain prism F . . . I already had one but the price was not something I could walkaway from. When I went to pick up the F, a complete plain prism F2 also got listed for a great price. Well I figured I would just sell the other F . . .

I kept the extra F as it was a Nippon Kogaku while the other was a Nikon so I never did sell them . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-12-2020 at 06:17 PM.
12-12-2020, 08:44 PM   #7363
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a couple of F2's one Photomic and one DP-11 (A) and I'd love a DP-1 but they're as expensive as a DP-12 (AS). Back in the day the plain prism was the cheapest option. I just started getting into Nikon this year...I now have 5 bodies (the 2 F2's, FTN, ELW and EL2) and 9 lenses...I want 3 more lenses... 20, 50/1.4 AI and 300/4.5 ED. I'm hoping I stop there, but the F3s are pretty tempting.

12-13-2020, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #7364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
a complete plain prism F2 also got listed for a great price
For a treat, you should watch "The Bridges of Madison County" in which Clint Easwood plays a National Geographic photographer. He has two of them.

12-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #7365
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a couple of F2's one Photomic and one DP-11 (A) and I'd love a DP-1 but they're as expensive as a DP-12 (AS). Back in the day the plain prism was the cheapest option. I just started getting into Nikon this year...I now have 5 bodies (the 2 F2's, FTN, ELW and EL2) and 9 lenses...I want 3 more lenses... 20, 50/1.4 AI and 300/4.5 ED. I'm hoping I stop there, but the F3s are pretty tempting.
I had a F3. It’s a great camera, but it’s not all that. I guess I’m just too used to Pentax ergonomics.

I found I prefer the smaller form factor bodies. I currently have a Niikormat FTn as my Nikon representative...
And it’s saying a lot that I like the wacky FTn control layout over the F3... maybe I do need a K2...

I also have a F, but the shutter is jammed and I’m not sure who to send it to, or if it’s even worth messing with.

I’d like a Nikon 20mm, but I’m more in line for a good deal on a 28 or maybe a 35mm f2.0. Those are pretty far down my list, though...

-Eric