have to like this.

12-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #7412
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Not as slow as this beauty though:

Pentax ME-F par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

I quite enjoy using it in a masochistic sort of way. and some of the images have been quite nice.

Leader of the flock par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
And the 35-70 f2.8 works fine on the K1.

It's a really good lens. It's too bad they never made it as an "A" lens...

-Eric
12-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #7413
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And the 35-70 f2.8 works fine on the K1.

It's a really good lens. It's too bad they never made it as an "A" lens...

-Eric
Does it really? I'm surprised. It is a shame they didn't make a non-AF version of this lens. I believe it was their fastest 35-70mm zoom (in terms of aperture, not the AF speed!).
12-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #7414
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does it really? I'm surprised. It is a shame they didn't make a non-AF version of this lens. I believe it was their fastest 35-70mm zoom (in terms of aperture, not the AF speed!).
Sure.

The ergonomics are rubbish, of course, and it acts like a K lens in terms of metering, so it's green button fun there.

Optically, it is significantly better than any of my "cheap normal zooms" until maybe the F35-70, but it's even good wide open, and the F35-70 obviously doesn't do f2.8.

-Eric

12-17-2020, 05:52 PM - 4 Likes   #7415
Forum Member

here's a fun lens...

When merely big just isn't BIG ENOUGH!!!

The Pentacon 500mm f/5.6 with the M42 mount installed and a Pentax SL body mounted The combo is over ten pounds. This may just well be the coolest lens I've ever owned. It's certainly the largest.

It comes natively in Pentacon Six mount. I have images of it with a Nikon F3, Nikon Df, Arax CM, Mamiya M645J, and Mamiya 645 AFDII mounted to it. It's truly a massive piece of engineering.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Aptus-II 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Aptus-II 6  Photo 
12-18-2020, 05:38 AM - 4 Likes   #7416
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 - Eight Element
Backdrop is a pulp magazine from the same time period as the classic Takumar.
My limited testing of the lens says it deserves the reputation as the classic Pentax 50mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad (7th generation)  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
12-18-2020, 07:45 AM   #7417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not as slow as this beauty though:

Pentax ME-F par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

I quite enjoy using it in a masochistic sort of way. and some of the images have been quite nice.

Leader of the flock par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
I would love to get my hands on such a lens. At least one that works. Seems like they tend to stop working at some point.

12-18-2020, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #7418
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They almost made one. The M-version is not fixed aperture at 2.8 but it almost...

Sorry for the poor quality photo.
Attached Images

12-18-2020, 07:55 AM   #7419
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
They almost made one. The M-version is not fixed aperture at 2.8 but it almost...

Sorry for the poor quality photo.
The coatings on the 35-70 f2.8 look almost red, very different from most of the other SMC-coated lenses I have.

The f2.8 lacks the purple component I see here (and on most of my lenses of similar vintage) if that makes sense.

I don't know if it was a different coating or if my copy is just strange...

-Eric
12-18-2020, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #7420
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I would love to get my hands on such a lens. At least one that works. Seems like they tend to stop working at some point.
I have one which is a brick and one which works. Once the electronics die, they are unfixable. The brick is not only dead electronically, everything is jammed solid. I used to use it as a paperweight.

The batteries are fiddly to fit and sometimes the working lens will refuse to work. A bit of fiddling and fresh batteries it normally comes back to life again. It is definitely a curiosity item rather than a truly usable lens.
12-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #7421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a black body MEF and I recently picked up the 35-70 AF for about $50 in "unknown" condition. Turns out it worked perfectly and the lens was clean too. I know I'm lucky. One thing about the MEF (and ME and ME Super) is sometimes the metering is off... If I turn the aperture ring and iso dials back and forth a few times, it goes back to working fine. I assume the variable resistor pads at either location are the problem...maybe just need cleaning.
12-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #7422
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I have a black body MEF and I recently picked up the 35-70 AF for about $50 in "unknown" condition. Turns out it worked perfectly and the lens was clean too. I know I'm lucky. One thing about the MEF (and ME and ME Super) is sometimes the metering is off... If I turn the aperture ring and iso dials back and forth a few times, it goes back to working fine. I assume the variable resistor pads at either location are the problem...maybe just need cleaning.
My MEF also doesn’t always like the cheap LR44 batteries I get from Amazon.
They’re fine in the K-series cameras I have and the MX, but the MEF gets grumpy...

-Eric
12-22-2020, 10:49 AM - 3 Likes   #7423
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My MEF...

12-22-2020, 10:58 AM   #7424
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
My MEF...
Nice. The black ones are unusual. K.
12-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #7425
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice. The black ones are unusual. K.
Yes, I've only seen one other. I think someone here has one. I wasn't even really interested in the MEF, but I saw this one pop up in auction (I think it was about $80 shipped) as a 'buy it now' so I jumped at it. When I got it, it was having an issue with the mirror sticking. Turns out it was just the mirror foam. I replaced all the foam and it's working well for the most part. Sometimes the meter is a little jumpy when I first turn it on after sitting for a few weeks but that usually goes away after a few minutes fiddling with it. I may s nd it out for a CLA at some point. It's rare and should be kept alive.