Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #7621
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
I do wonder what this round translucent plastic piece is that came in a Pentax pouch? Anyone have any ideas?
As Womble said, but the pouch looks like the one that came with my AFW-1 wide angle adaptor for a AF280T or AF200T flash unit. Mine measures 90 x 65 mm. There was a larger equivalent wide adaptor for the AF400T unit which probably had a similar pouch, so it could be either depending on the scale of your photo.

02-05-2021, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #7622
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Tripod spacer in case yours has a longer than recommended length. They were supplied with quite a few cameras (although not in the fancy pouch which I suspect might have held something else originally). Here is one that came with my boxed MV.

Pentax MV (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
If I’m remembering correctly from my MX days, the explanation is not entirely correct. The primary issue that the item was meant to solve was that the M series bodies were so tiny that some of the wider diameter lenses would hit a big tripod plate and you would no longer be able to turn the aperture ring.
02-05-2021, 03:55 AM   #7623
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
If I’m remembering correctly from my MX days, the explanation is not entirely correct. The primary issue that the item was meant to solve was that the M series bodies were so tiny that some of the wider diameter lenses would hit a big tripod plate and you would no longer be able to turn the aperture ring.
Sounds entirely plausible. I don't think I have ever seen anything "official" as to the reasons for needing the spacer.
02-05-2021, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #7624
Pentaxian

Tripod spacer in case yours has a longer than recommended length.
I always believed that to be the case, but every tripod I have ever owned has had a thumbwheel locknut on the tripod screw. With the locknut backed off at first, I gently tighten the screw itself until I feel it bottom in the camera thread, and then back it off one turn. I then tighten up the locknut to make everything firm. I therefore never had a need for a spacer.

The idea of the spacer to allow room for a large lens on a small camera is also possible, but again, my tripods have had the screw in a slot, so it could be moved close to the front of the plate if necessary.

02-05-2021, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #7625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I always believed that to be the case, but every tripod I have ever owned has had a thumbwheel locknut on the tripod screw. With the locknut backed off at first, I gently tighten the screw itself until I feel it bottom in the camera thread, and then back it off one turn. I then tighten up the locknut to make everything firm. I therefore never had a need for a spacer.

The idea of the spacer to allow room for a large lens on a small camera is also possible, but again, my tripods have had the screw in a slot, so it could be moved close to the front of the plate if necessary.
I never used the spacer either, and I assume it must be very difficult to use in portrait orientation with its smooth and hard surface.

I seemed to remember having read about the intended use of the spacer. I checked the MX manual and it says: “In order to prevent large diameter lenses from interfering with proper mounting of the camera to the tripod, attach the Spacer Ring (packed with the camera) between camera and tripod.”

And the LX manual states: “To ensure proper tripod mounting when using lenses having a large diameter, insert the Spacer Ring which comes packed with the camera between the camera base and tripod platform.”
02-05-2021, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #7626
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rosettaquarrier Quote
I do wonder what this round translucent plastic piece is that came in a Pentax pouch? Anyone have any ideas?

I remember getting one of those with some of my Pentax film camera bodies. I think I may have one or two still around. The spacer is, as several have indicated, a "tripod spacer." Although the majority of pan-tilt heads have a locking ring so the mounting screw does not have to be twisted deep into a camera body, ball heads must be threaded in until they are tight, and their mounting thread might be too long. I remember distinctly reading the instruction manual (back then you could actually read through once and remember everything about the camera operation) that specifically described the spacer as a way to deal with over-long tripod head mounting screws, not oversize lenses. There was even a diagram to show the problem, with a permissible maximum length for a tripod-head mounting screw. I have one old manual that might have such a diagram. I'll check on it.

NO! My memory was not correct. I'm allowed at my age.

OK, just did some searching and I was in error. The LX manual specifically states that the spacer is intended for use with lenses that have a large diameter where they fit against the front of the camera body, such that the rearmost part of the lens extends below the base plate. Chances are the Pentax people had certain specific existing Pentax lenses in mind that did not have a tripod foot and when mounted on an LX extended slightly below the base plate right at the front of the camera body.

I did some more checking and looked up the manual for an ME Super, which was my first K-mount Pentax and like the LX came with one of those white spacer rings. On the page for mounting on a tripod, the instructions first warn not to use a tripod head with a mounting screw longer than 5.5mm (0.22 inches) as that was the maximum depth of the tripod socket on the camera. Immediately after it advises using the spacer for lenses of large diameter. So the problem of a Pentax lens with a rear section that could extend below the level of the camera's base plate goes back at least as early as the ME camera body. Again, there must be some specific Pentax manual focus lenses that had this problem with the very compact Pentax Film Era cameras. Perhaps it was some of the near-normal FL lenses with a very large aperture such as a 50mm f1.2, or perhaps it was specifically the 28mm shift lens, perhaps both.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-05-2021 at 06:54 AM.
02-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #7627
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I remember getting one of those with some of my Pentax film camera bodies. I think I may have one or two still around.
Not just Pentax. I bought a new FM2n in 1996, which came supplied with one. I wondered what it was for at the time and prompt;y forgot all about it till now. I also think I probably still have it somewhere but there is no way I am going to root around in my boxes of misc camera stuff to find it!

02-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #7628
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tripod spacer in case yours has a longer than recommended length. They were supplied with quite a few cameras (although not in the fancy pouch which I suspect might have held something else originally). Here is one that came with my boxed MV.

Pentax MV (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
The pouch is for the wide angle adaptor.

With my LX I had these accessories included as shown below. No idea why they supplied tweezers...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
02-05-2021, 11:20 AM   #7629
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
The pouch is for the wide angle adaptor.

With my LX I had these accessories included as shown below. No idea why they supplied tweezers...

Screwdriver for adjusting the pentaprism finder(s) to fit your eye (clumsy to do, you must loosen finder as to remove, pull it back enough to expose the adjustment screw up underneath, then twist the screw with that gray plastic tool as you look into the viewfinder to see if it's in focus for your eye).

The tripod spacer has been covered.

The tweezers may be for removing a focusing screen, although it is not the same design as the tweezers that come with a screen.
02-05-2021, 05:16 PM   #7630
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
: An 80mm f/2 on medium format??
The Mamiya "Noctilux" is an 80mm f/1.9 that is absolutely stellar. I have one.
02-06-2021, 09:22 AM - 3 Likes   #7631
Pentaxian

This "AP" is in a museum display in Peterborough, England. The display is not about photography, however, but is a mock-up of an archaeological excavation. The north arrow can be seen in the foreground, and a ranging pole (useful as a scale) in the background.

on display par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
02-06-2021, 08:09 PM - 4 Likes   #7632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Leofoto low-profile tripod head mounted on my new Slik low-level or table-top tripod. The head is compact, inexpensive, and very strong. Locks like a vault door when tightened.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX8  Photo 
02-07-2021, 01:14 PM - 4 Likes   #7633

My latest acquisition, a Pentax K
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G950U  Photo 
02-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #7634
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ARC72 Quote
My latest acquisition, a Pentax K
Lovely. For some reason I'm very fond of "K".

Best wishes, Kris.
02-07-2021, 08:55 PM   #7635
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hepcat Quote
The Mamiya "Noctilux" is an 80mm f/1.9 that is absolutely stellar. I have one.
I was very disappointed with mine. The bokeh at 1.9 was not smooth, and then it hazed up - which this lens is prone to do. The haze was not fixable as it was between the cemented elements.

I sold it off with full disclosure that it was hazy, but spun that as it could be used to create muted/flattering portraits.