Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9422 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2021, 03:03 PM - 8 Likes   #7726
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really shouldn't be buying any more cameras, as I can't really even use the ones I have, but I recently ran across this IIIa and CZJ Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 in mostly excellent condition. The rangefinder patch is a bit faint, but the price of the kit was such that I couldn't not buy it

03-31-2021, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #7727
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I really shouldn't be buying any more cameras, as I can't really even use the ones I have
This made me laugh! I recognize myself so much in this statement. A Nikon FM2/T is heading my way in the next few days. Heaven knows when I am going to use it when I have so much other lovely stuff!
03-31-2021, 08:57 AM   #7728
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

I've often wondered about this. Does the ZM actually share anything with the Bessa line? Other than being made by Cosina obviously...
Well my Zeiss Ikon ZM failed and was returned to the seller (who was a complete gentleman to deal with).
On the second roll of film the shutter would not cock every 4th exposure - it required a second effort on the film winder. On the first roll it 'only' did this twice so I attributed that to user error, but this was obviously not so.
And the film suffered from uneven spacing. Online searches reveal this to be a common issue.
Eyeballing the insides, it looked remarkably similar to my Bessa L, which also suffered from film transport failure.

My takeaway is save up for the real thing - the M7. Or pay less and get an M2/3/4 etc and use a hotshoe meter if that's your thing.
My 50 yr old Ms still are rock solid in every way. And so is my Nikon S2 which completely shades the Zeiss in build and feel, and has a 100% vf. And is only about $500.

I am glad I got to try the Zeiss, it scratched that curiosity itch.
03-31-2021, 12:17 PM - 4 Likes   #7729
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This body sort of just had to be bought. And then I found an orphaned finder waiting for a new home...

The smc Pentax-A sure looks handsome. To bad the LX cannot benefit from the A-setting on the lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
03-31-2021, 04:58 PM - 2 Likes   #7730
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by richard0170 Quote
A Nikon FM2/T is heading my way in the next few days. Heaven knows when I am going to use it when I have so much other lovely stuff!
Get thee behind me, Satan! I have zero Nikon cameras, though it is not for the lack of long term desire!

Steve
03-31-2021, 10:54 PM   #7731
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I really shouldn't be buying any more cameras, as I can't really even use the ones I have, but I recently ran across this IIIa and CZJ Sonnar 5cm f/1.5 in mostly excellent condition. The rangefinder patch is a bit faint, but the price of the kit was such that I couldn't not buy it

I think we all have the same issue. My latest camera is the Zeiss Ikon Limited Edition posted in here recently. That was me being itchy as it was a good price.

---------- Post added 04-01-2021 at 02:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I'm not a great rangefinder fan (I'm happy with my FED2 for occasional use) but that Zeiss does look sweet. Something elegant in the design that appeals.
The last time I saw this camera was in 2013-2014 but I was not into rangefinders back then. The price was pretty high too. Saw this in the shop's online store and the price had gone down by quite a sum and I had the funds so I bought it.

Learning to use it as I got confused by the centre focus in the viewfiner.
03-31-2021, 11:30 PM   #7732
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Get thee behind me, Satan! I have zero Nikon cameras, though it is not for the lack of long term desire!
This one is an investment really as I already have a FM2, though I will try and get to use it. My thinking is that whatever else goes wrong in life it will outlast me comfortably and as it is a rare model it will appreciate in value over time. I have noticed quite a rise in Nikon camera values, though not so much on the lenses, over the last couple of years.
It will be interesting to see if I can feel any difference between it and my original FM2. According to mir.com greater care was spent in construction which has given it a smoother operating feel. We will see.
Generally I am trying to rein in my GAS (and often failing) and just try and get stuff that hopefully will rise in value over time - hence recent purchases of Canon FD 35mm f2.8 Tilt shift and Zeiss Tessar 45mm f2.8 100 Jahre in C/Y. The FM2/T is part of that program.

04-01-2021, 12:20 AM - 2 Likes   #7733
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Learning to use it as I got confused by the centre focus in the viewfiner.
Having only ever used some form of SLR, when I first got a rangefinder the biggest challenge (for me) was remembering to take the lens cap off...
04-01-2021, 12:44 AM - 1 Like   #7734
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having only ever used some form of SLR, when I first got a rangefinder the biggest challenge (for me) was remembering to take the lens cap off...
Funny that. I never have a problem taking the lens cap off. I always have a problem trying to locate the damned thing when I want to put it back on . They all seem to have the uncanny ability to migrate from one pocket to another as I frantically search for the dratted things!
04-01-2021, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #7735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a rumor on line that Ricoh is developing a Pentax "KDD" full-frame mirrorless camera ("DD" = "direct digital") with a 45mp sensor. It will have a larger diameter lens mount with a much shorter registration distance but will be delivered with an adapter that will transfer all functions of existing Pentax digital lenses.To be released simultaneously with the camera there will be an accessory adapter with an electro-magnetic diaphragm actuating mechanism that will allow legacy lenses to use their "A" setting. Also, similar adapters are promised for mounting Nikon, Canon, Fuji and even Leica "R" lenses with full function transfer!

And if you swallow any of this, go look at a calendar.
04-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #7736
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I feel the same though I've quite recently added an AF film camera (F801S) and 50/1.8 to my collection. It's very nice to use but there are so many things that are backwards! Lenses mount by turning them the wrong way! The exposure comp indicator on the screen is backwards - left for increased exposure and right for decreased! The lens release button is in the wrong place (though Canon is the same)!

Still feels good to use though.

As for digital, my experiences have turned me right off Nikon - poor ergonomics, poor controls, unnecessary limitations and poor image quality.
04-01-2021, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #7737
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the biggest issue with Rangefinders. I have the same problem now.
04-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #7738
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
This is the biggest issue with Rangefinders. I have the same problem now.
Another error sometimes made with an RF. A mate in college who had a Leica M3 he was immensely proud and fond of was sitting on the floor in the sunshine admiring the camera with its legendary 50mm f2 Summicron. I yelled a warning too late! He had focused sun through the lens and burnt a hole in the shutter curtain. BTW: It was widely thought that Leitz reserved "Summicron" for its finest optics. Not so. It indicates the lens has an aperture of f2.0 and improved coatings developed in the 1950's. Some earlier f2.0 lenses had a different name (Summar and Summitar)
04-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #7739
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Another error sometimes made with an RF. A mate in college who had a Leica M3 he was immensely proud and fond of was sitting on the floor in the sunshine admiring the camera with its legendary 50mm f2 Summicron. I yelled a warning too late! He had focused sun through the lens and burnt a hole in the shutter curtain. BTW: It was widely thought that Leitz reserved "Summicron" for its finest optics. Not so. It indicates the lens has an aperture of f2.0 and improved coatings developed in the 1950's. Some earlier f2.0 lenses had a different name (Summar and Summitar)
The dangers of having a cloth shutter curtain.
04-01-2021, 11:43 PM   #7740
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
As for digital, my experiences have turned me right off Nikon - poor ergonomics, poor controls, unnecessary limitations and poor image quality.
I agree with you all the way except for IQ. I had (Ha!Ha!) to get a D610, just so I could use my favourite F mount glass on digital. IQ great. All the rest crap. The Df that is its replacement improves on controls at least for MF lenses, still some daft design choices and just changes what is problematic about the ergos. Still it is an improvement and I quite like it, but without having certain lenses I would definitely be giving Nikon digital a pass. If Pentax had made a Df type camera I am sure it would have wiped the floor with the Nikon.
TBH going back to the days of film the only camera they have produced that I have found desirable since the F4 is the FM3a. The FM2/t I do not count as it is just limited edition of an existing model.