Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9437 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2021, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #7876
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
Both the Nikon F3 (base model did not have an accessory shoe on the prism) and the LX were produced until 2001.
I believe Pentax halted production of the LX after Nikon halted their F3 production.

Although the F3 technically has a "clean" viewfinder, it is just too ugly to include it in the lineup with the others and I don't care if Giorgetto Giugiaro (famous Italian car and industrial designer named Car Designer of the Century in 1999 and inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 2002) designed the F3 . . .

07-04-2021, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #7877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I believe Pentax halted production of the LX after Nikon halted their F3 production.

Although the F3 technically has a "clean" viewfinder, it is just too ugly to include it in the lineup with the others and I don't care if Giorgetto Giugiaro (famous Italian car and industrial designer named Car Designer of the Century in 1999 and inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 2002) designed the F3 . . .

To me, that photo perfectly demonstrates just how 'right' Nikon got it with the industrial design on the F2/DE1.
07-04-2021, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #7878
Pentaxian

My buddy gave me his mom's Argus Match-Matic (sans meter) along with the manual . . .

Any other camera come with a lifetime warranty?
07-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #7879
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My buddy gave me his mom's Argus Match-Matic (sans meter) along with the manual . . .

Everyone called those and other Argus cameras of similar design "the brick." People sometimes build a small house out of bottles. I wonder if you had enough Argus C3's - - - - -

FYI: Wikipedia says than an estimated 2 million C3's were made. That would make a reasonable size summer cottage.

They did not come with a lifetime warranty, but I'll wager there's many a Kodak Brownie that still works pretty much as it did when new.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 07-04-2021 at 10:10 AM.
07-05-2021, 12:32 AM   #7880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Wow ! I've seen a documentary yesterday about Ann Arbor and Michigan Nice camera !
07-05-2021, 06:59 AM - 3 Likes   #7881
Pentaxian

For some reason this thread won't load in Tapatalk, which is what I've been using for the last couple of weeks as I had no time to get a proper computer out. It's good to get back and see some nice classic cameras.

Yashica Mat 124G
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
07-06-2021, 02:23 AM - 3 Likes   #7882
Pentaxian

F801S with AF Nikkor 50/1.8
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

07-06-2021, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #7883
Veteran Member

I love the way the F3 looks!
Those two others too...
07-06-2021, 02:20 PM - 8 Likes   #7884

My newly acquired LX (with Ever Ready Case):
Attached Images

07-06-2021, 11:48 PM - 5 Likes   #7885

My Spotmatic F cameras purchased on PF from "Filmfan".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
07-07-2021, 02:54 AM - 2 Likes   #7886
Pentaxian

I think the F3 is a fine looking camera. It doesn't have the aesthetics of the "golden age" of manual camera design but it's not too far off and doesn't have any of the ugliness of so many 1980s cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
Very nice. I always have my eye open for a nice LX but they're pretty rare in good condition.
07-07-2021, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #7887
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjolester Quote
In my view that’s the nicest of all the Pentax/Takumar 50/f1.4 variants. Such a nice lens...
07-07-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #7888

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice. I always have my eye open for a nice LX but they're pretty rare in good condition.
Thank you! I have been wanting to buy an LX for many years, but have been put off by reading about "dodgy electronics", lack of parts, expensive CLA, and all the other negative stuff one can read about the LX on the net. I am so glad I went ahead and finally purchased an LX, it is really a beautiful camera. My LX was purchased from a camera collector here in Norway and was in very good condition. Even though it is an older model (ASA3200, but not the most recent shutter button lock), it does have gold resistors, so it probably has had the resistors changed at a service sometime in the past.

---------- Post added 07-07-21 at 20:18 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
In my view that’s the nicest of all the Pentax/Takumar 50/f1.4 variants. Such a nice lens...
The SMC Pentax 50/1.4 has only been in my possession for a month or so, and only used on the LX. I like it a lot!
07-07-2021, 11:26 AM   #7889

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think the F3 is a fine looking camera. It doesn't have the aesthetics of the "golden age" of manual camera design but it's not too far off and doesn't have any of the ugliness of so many 1980s cameras.

I see nice ones quite often on ebay from Japan. You need to be super picky with the seller, only buy from someone with 100% feedback and a track record of selling similar cameras. If you are in Europe you can get it serviced by Robin at Harrow technical, who is a Pentax trained technician with many factory spare parts, including new seals and mirror bumpers.

It does end up being an expensive camera after import fees from Japan and service costs, but worth it to own one of the best 35mm SLR’s ever made.
07-07-2021, 12:26 PM   #7890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those Nikons look awesome!
« Film Stocks | - »