I do love using the MX

Attached Images

07-07-2021, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #7892
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fishbones Quote
I do love using the MX
I am experiencing a particularly warm glow today, as I got one of mine back from the camera doctors (it had a sticky mirror). Definitely one of my favourite film bodies.
07-07-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #7893
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Although the F3 technically has a "clean" viewfinder, it is just too ugly to include it in the lineup with the others
Eh?! I like the look of the Nikon F3. The only thing that spoils it is those rabbit-ears that earlier Nikon lenses have, looking like they have been pop-riveted in place by an amateur. From a practical point of view, those pointy hot-shoe-less prism housings are more vulnerable to brassing on the point than the flatter hot-shoe ones.

How do you like the look of the Canon F1n? Their metering hot-shoe prism housings are positively towering, and flat-topped too.
07-07-2021, 02:44 PM - 4 Likes   #7894
Pentaxian

Pentax Zoom 105 Super par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

This is a camera of its time. It is pretty ugly, but has a myriad of features including close-up settings and so on. I managed to use about 2/3rds of a roll before it stopped playing ball. It still sort of works (enough for the photo) but I wouldn't use another roll in it. Some of the pictures and sharp, some are terrible. I don't think the autofocus is very good.

Despite the current fad for using film compact cameras, in general I find them very disappointing and would rather use an SLR. The MX with the 40mm pancake lens is no bigger than this ugly beast.

07-07-2021, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #7895
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I love the way the F3 looks!
Those two others too...
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think the F3 is a fine looking camera. It doesn't have the aesthetics of the "golden age" of manual camera design but it's not too far off and doesn't have any of the ugliness of so many 1980s cameras.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Those Nikons look awesome!
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Eh?! I like the look of the Nikon F3. The only thing that spoils it is those rabbit-ears that earlier Nikon lenses have, looking like they have been pop-riveted in place by an amateur. From a practical point of view, those pointy hot-shoe-less prism housings are more vulnerable to brassing on the point than the flatter hot-shoe ones.

How do you like the look of the Canon F1n? Their metering hot-shoe prism housings are positively towering, and flat-topped too.
Compared to the metered F and F2, the F3 was definitely better looking . . .

I got the F, F2 and F3 early on in my immersion. I really like the F3 because it was gadgety and accessories were readily available I didn't have the plain prisms for the F and F2 initially so the F3 looked better then . . . but not after . . .

Canon was probably the least interested in following Olympus smaller body initiative with the OM series release. They had some "innovative" finders for sure!

---------- Post added 07-07-21 at 06:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

This is a camera of its time. It is pretty ugly, but has a myriad of features including close-up settings and so on. I managed to use about 2/3rds of a roll before it stopped playing ball. It still sort of works (enough for the photo) but I wouldn't use another roll in it. Some of the pictures and sharp, some are terrible. I don't think the autofocus is very good.

Despite the current fad for using film compact cameras, in general I find them very disappointing and would rather use an SLR. The MX with the 40mm pancake lens is no bigger than this ugly beast.
The 105R was my first "serious" camera as it was a huge step up from the plastic 110 instamatic I was using! It provided great service for a number of years

07-07-2021, 11:38 PM   #7896

It is all personal preference but I think the F3 looks stunning, in my opinion the nicest looking camera of the pro F series.
I prefer it with the DE2 (non HP) finder. It looks cleaner and there is still loads of eye relief.

I also like the looks of the New F1, especially with the standard (non AE) finder. These are fantastic cameras to shoot with.

In my opinion the ugly cameras were made a decade later with the plastic AF bodies that started with the Minolta 7000. The Canon EOS bodies are hideous (except for the 1 series).
07-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #7897
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
In my opinion the ugly cameras were made a decade later with the plastic AF bodies that started with the Minolta 7000. The Canon EOS bodies are hideous (except for the 1 series).
Yes, though the writing was on the wall with the Minolta X700 and revised XG range. Simple styling was being abandoned for fashionable excess. Thankfully the trend did not last too long.

07-08-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #7898
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote

Film compact prices have gone absolutely crazy in the last year or so. Many go for at least ten times what I'd be willing to pay for them.

I feel the same way about compacts versus SLRs - I don't have the M 40/2.8 but the 43mm is not much bigger and neither is the 50/1.7. For a small increase in bulk (though a considerable increase in weight) I get full control over the photo.
07-08-2021, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #7899
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Film compact prices have gone absolutely crazy in the last year or so. Many go for at least ten times what I'd be willing to pay for them.

I feel the same way about compacts versus SLRs - I don't have the M 40/2.8 but the 43mm is not much bigger and neither is the 50/1.7. For a small increase in bulk (though a considerable increase in weight) I get full control over the photo.
I agree. I was happy to have a punt on the odd £5 charity shop purchase but I'm not prepared to pay the frankly silly prices they go for now. Nearly all of the charity-shop compacts I tried either didn't work at all, or died very soon after. The results were generally dire. If I could find an Olympus Trip for a sane price I would get one of those, but otherwise I pass on by.
07-08-2021, 12:55 PM - 7 Likes   #7900
Pentaxian

The Black Beauty

A few close-ups of the petite beautiful model from Pentax of the 1970's and 1980's - the timeless beauty that is the Pentax MX....

07-08-2021, 01:32 PM   #7901

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
A few close-ups of the petite beautiful model from Pentax of the 1970's and 1980's - the timeless beauty that is the Pentax MX....
Very nice close-ups of the mighty MX
07-08-2021, 01:39 PM   #7902
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote

OMG, it really looks cool!
07-08-2021, 02:03 PM   #7903
Veteran Member

All this MX love... I'm gonna put mine up for sale..
07-08-2021, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #7904
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andrewd Quote
It is all personal preference but I think the F3 looks stunning, in my opinion the nicest looking camera of the pro F series.
I prefer it with the DE2 (non HP) finder. It looks cleaner and there is still loads of eye relief.

I also like the looks of the New F1, especially with the standard (non AE) finder. These are fantastic cameras to shoot with.

I agree that all of these aethetics are a personal preference.

Interesting that Nikon saw fit to release the standard eye level finder (DE-2) then the high eyepoint finder (DE-3) with very minimal differences in size and magnification of 0.8X and 0.75X.

07-08-2021, 11:42 PM   #7905

I find the extra 5% magnification of the DE2 makes a noticeable difference to the ability to focus.
A magnification of 0.8 to 0.85 is the goldilocks zone for me (I wear glasses). It is only possible to increase magnification at the expense of eye relief and cameras with higher magnification finders have poor eye relief which makes it impossible to see the whole frame and the exposure information without scanning your eye around the frame. The problem is compounded in some cameras by scattering the exposure information around many sides of the frame (eg Nikon FM2).