Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
No more film from Kodak....

So let me start off that I live in Rochester NY the home of whats left of Kodak. Today I was buying a few rolls of film for a trip i am taking this weekend from Rowe Photo(our local long lasting photo equipment dealer since 1898). After a few min of talking with the guys as I always make it a point to do he told me that he has just sold off the last of his large format cameras and is getting rid of the rest of his 35mm equipment. I asked why .... and I was shocked. He told me ALL Kodak film is stopped. No more production of film for photography anymore at all. Of course I said I knew about the end of slide film etc... and some others had been cut but Extar, Portra, and the black and white line up were alive and well. His response was there Kodak sales rep said that what they have is all they have and have no intentions of making anymore.... PERIOD! ! !...... I left the store head down, almost mad that it has come to this. I have picked up prob 10 film cameras last month alone. I decided to look online but only found the info I already knew( slide film cut, b.w 3200 etc gone) and news they planed to sell off the film department (and i guess have)?? Being I live in Rochester and these guys talk right with Kodak sales....... One has to believe this is true and will be on the web at some point. ANYONE have any other info on this? Please come forward.............

03-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

As you say "I live in Rochester and these guys talk right with Kodak sales......" so I can't imagine anyone going to be closer.

However, unless I know for a fact I would personally refrain from passing on unverified information.
03-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
As far as the guys at this shop said, then it is fact.... as for me finding info on the web.... no. But the web is as full of half truths as the guy who lives next door. Its hard to tell either way and to search for knowledge one must ask others. . . that in fact is what I am doing. I hope they are wrong.
03-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Last I heard Kodak were trying to find a buyer for their film business, had received multiple “expressions of interest”, and expected to make an announcement about mid-2013.

03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apathey2131978 Quote
No more production of film for photography anymore at all. Of course I said I knew about the end of slide film etc... and some others had been cut but Extar, Portra, and the black and white line up were alive and well. His response was there Kodak sales rep said that what they have is all they have and have no intentions of making anymore.... PERIOD! ! !
This makes sense...sort of. I would say more except that I would be talking through my hat. What I will say is that making photographic film is apparently not a continuous process. A good example would be Agfa APX100. It has been a long time since the coating machines shut down, but there remained a large stock of uncut and un-confectured coated material that was cut and packaged as Rollei Retro 100 and who knows what other films. For all I know that stuff may still be slowly trickling out of storage.

Steve
03-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As far as the guys at this shop said, then it is fact
So which of your cameras are you going to unload at fire sale prices?

Steve
03-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm sure that soon enough stores (or at least cheap ones) will stop developing film, so you better stock up on some B&W film and chemicals to develop on your own!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure that soon enough stores (or at least cheap ones) will stop developing film, so you better stock up on some B&W film and chemicals to develop on your own!
Surely your tongue is firmly inserted in cheek? Film keeps pretty well if kept in cold storage, but developers (even the powdered varieties) have a limited life span. For a bit of counter-point, I would suggest Freestyle's most recent "Industry Snapshot"...

Freestyle - Snapshot of The Industry

Adox's first run of their new Silvermax 100 sold out almost immediately (worldwide, not just at Freestyle). Jobo has improved and resumed production of the CPP-3. The world may be changing, but film photography is far from dead as it transitions from a tool of the masses into a fine art medium.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-06-2013 at 10:21 PM.
03-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I remember reading news about Lomo wanted to buy Kodak film business?
03-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I remember reading news about Lomo wanted to buy Kodak film business?
Lomo? The Russian (St. Petersburg) makers of toy cameras? Now that would be an interesting situation.

Steve
03-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Lomo? The Russian (St. Petersburg) makers of toy cameras? Now that would be an interesting situation.

Steve
Actually I think he means the people behind Lomography.com, the website that sells overpriced Lomo & Holga cameras to hipsters in the US and Europe...

Lomography is a Potential Suitor for Kodak’s Dwindling Film Photography Business

For example, who wouldn't want to pay $145 for a Zenit?

Zenit 11 Refurbished ? Lomography Shop

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-06-2013 at 10:58 PM.
03-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #12

So let me start off that I live in Rochester NY the home of whats left of Kodak. Today I was buying a few rolls of film for a trip i am taking this weekend from Rowe Photo(our local long lasting photo equipment dealer since 1898). After a few min of talking with the guys as I always make it a point to do he told me that he has just sold off the last of his large format cameras and is getting rid of the rest of his 35mm equipment. I asked why .... and I was shocked. He told me ALL Kodak film is stopped. No more production of film for photography anymore at all. Of course I said I knew about the end of slide film etc... and some others had been cut but Extar, Portra, and the black and white line up were alive and well. His response was there Kodak sales rep said that what they have is all they have and have no intentions of making anymore.... PERIOD! ! !...... I left the store head down, almost mad that it has come to this. I have picked up prob 10 film cameras last month alone. I decided to look online but only found the info I already knew( slide film cut, b.w 3200 etc gone) and news they planed to sell off the film department (and i guess have)?? Being I live in Rochester and these guys talk right with Kodak sales....... One has to believe this is true and will be on the web at some point. ANYONE have any other info on this? Please come forward.............
Kodak has set its sites on another dying industry, office imaging. In five years, they'll be (if they are still around) looking for another dying industry to work in.
03-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Adox's first run of their new Silvermax 100 sold out almost immediately (worldwide, not just at Freestyle). Jobo has improved and resumed production of the CPP-3. The world may be changing, but film photography is far from dead as it transitions from a tool of the masses into a fine art medium.
i don't think film is dead or is going to be.

It's just that the capacity of production are now far far far too big to the market (which is still strong). Their is some adjustement to be done.

Lomo sold 2 milions of film in 2010 AFAIR, far from kodak or fuji volume, but lomo is always selling at its higher rate possible so far !

BTW, Kodak tried to sold film division in 2009, but i dunno if it's done or not !

Last edited by aurele; 03-07-2013 at 04:52 AM.
03-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I see that cassette tapes are still available and open reel magnetic tape is still manufactured -1/4 inch to 2 inch.
And Edison phonograph cylinder blanks are still in production !
New phonograph cylinder records for sale from Vulcan Cylinder Records
03-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I know film is pretty much very active in Europe, and film development is still easily available. In US, film development is getting more difficult... if film was to continue to strive, film development needs to find a way to be more accessible. (self development not included).