Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2013, 06:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

i really like the ektar and portra 400... just ordered enough to shoot a roll or two per month for the next few years until all this stuff stabilizes. I don't doubt that someone will be making film, but its nice to have a bit to ride out the turbulence.

03-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am sure they have tons of uncut film base still in stock. I remember years ago they found whole master rolls of uncut technical pan... still sad either way. Ill keep digging locally for more info but like most ill probably find out via new feed like the rest of us.
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM - 7 Likes   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by apathey2131978 Quote
So let me start off that I live in Rochester NY the home of whats left of Kodak. Today I was buying a few rolls of film for a trip i am taking this weekend from Rowe Photo(our local long lasting photo equipment dealer since 1898). After a few min of talking with the guys as I always make it a point to do he told me that he has just sold off the last of his large format cameras and is getting rid of the rest of his 35mm equipment. I asked why .... and I was shocked. He told me ALL Kodak film is stopped. No more production of film for photography anymore at all. Of course I said I knew about the end of slide film etc... and some others had been cut but Extar, Portra, and the black and white line up were alive and well. His response was there Kodak sales rep said that what they have is all they have and have no intentions of making anymore.... PERIOD! ! !...... I left the store head down, almost mad that it has come to this. I have picked up prob 10 film cameras last month alone. I decided to look online but only found the info I already knew( slide film cut, b.w 3200 etc gone) and news they planed to sell off the film department (and i guess have)?? Being I live in Rochester and these guys talk right with Kodak sales....... One has to believe this is true and will be on the web at some point. ANYONE have any other info on this? Please come forward.............
Hi there,

There's no truth to that rumor. Traditional films continue to be an important part of the our product portfolio. We have worked hard to create sustainable models for the traditional portfolios, which will enable us to meet marketplace demands well into the future. If you're looking for places to purchase and/or process Kodak film, our updated our Kodak Film App for the iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/koda...568463694?mt=8) should be available by week's end. This Friday, we're also kicking off our weekly blog featuring photographers who use our films and why they love them (1000 Words Blog | A Thousand Words is a place for stories from the people of Kodak. We love what we do, and we want to share our stories about imaging and its power to influence our world.)

Colleen Krenzer
PR for Kodak's Professional Film Group
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I know film is pretty much very active in Europe, and film development is still easily available. In US, film development is getting more difficult... if film was to continue to strive, film development needs to find a way to be more accessible. (self development not included).
In Paris, less and less shop keep doing it, even the big one like our bestBuy or Wallmart. but, there is few film shop / photo shop that are going really strong.

They do everything related to photo / process / print / enlargement / framing. They do it well, ad at very very competitive price.

In fact, most specialized school suggest to go to those very shop to have there work process / print / framed.

03-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Imaging Resource -October 26, 2012

"35mm film might not entirely have gone the way of the dodo, but it's certainly seen more popular days. There are still more than a few photographers who refuse to entirely retire their film cameras, though. For them, it can be a little tricky finding places to buy film any more, let alone to get it developed.

A new app from Eastman Kodak acknowledges that difficulty, and suggests that the company is still selling enough film to see some value in investing development dollars to create a solution. The answer? A new app for iOS devices that helps you decide which film type to use for a given subject, then tells you where it can be purchased and developed."

03-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm starting to enjoy these "sky is falling" rumors and all the hand-wringing they provoke.
Over the years I have heard more misinformation from shopkeepers than anyone else.

Chris
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Connected peripherally: Robert Burley's Photos of the Moribund Film Industry - NYTimes.com
Interesting set of pictures. What first caught my eye was the opening image which was taken a block away from my former home in Toronto.

03-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Actually I think he means the people behind Lomography.com
That sounds even worse!

Steve
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CDKrenzer Quote
Hi there,

There's no truth to that rumor. Traditional films continue to be an important part of the our product portfolio. We have worked hard to create sustainable models for the traditional portfolios, which will enable us to meet marketplace demands well into the future. If you're looking for places to purchase and/or process Kodak film, our updated our Kodak Film App for the iPhone (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/koda...568463694?mt=8) should be available by week's end. This Friday, we're also kicking off our weekly blog featuring photographers who use our films and why they love them (1000 Words Blog | A Thousand Words is a place for stories from the people of Kodak. We love what we do, and we want to share our stories about imaging and its power to influence our world.)

Colleen Krenzer
PR for Kodak's Professional Film Group
Welcome to PentaxForums. Thank you for joining, posting and clearing this up!! If you haven't, check out our Film Forum!
03-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For them, it can be a little tricky finding places to buy film any more, let alone to get it developed.
I feel so fortunate. Sometimes I think that I must live in the center of the film photography universe (outside of Europe and Asia). My local Target and Walgreens stock Kodak Gold 200 and pro-quality materials are available at another half-dozen or so shops within 20 miles of my house. There are also at least four pro labs for processing within the same 20 miles.

I feel so blessed.

Steve

(...from what I understand, the folk in Vancouver, BC Canada have a similar rosy picture...)
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Welcome to PentaxForums. Thank you for joining, posting and clearing this up!! If you haven't, check out our Film Forum!
What he said!

We love Kodak! Me in particular. You guys gave me a supply of Ektar a few years back as a contest prize!

Steve
03-07-2013, 02:40 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidOBryan Quote
Thanks for your response. Is Kodak still actively producing film?
David,

We are. The team is headed to WPPI in Las Vegas next week where, as part of the booth, we'll hand out samples of film. We're also working with some really great film groups, like Film Photography Project, Phoblographer, FRAMED and Film's Not Dead in the UK.

Colleen
03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Colleen,

While I'll always miss Kodachrome II, now Ektar and Portra are my new standards (and TriX of course - still miss Panatomic X). I still enjoy shooting film more than digital.
03-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
Veteran Member

great news Colleen! way to keep up on the social media kodak
03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I feel so fortunate. Sometimes I think that I must live in the center of the film photography universe (outside of Europe and Asia). My local Target and Walgreens stock Kodak Gold 200 and pro-quality materials are available at another half-dozen or so shops within 20 miles of my house. There are also at least four pro labs for processing within the same 20 miles.

I feel so blessed.

Steve

(...from what I understand, the folk in Vancouver, BC Canada have a similar rosy picture...)
Yep we are lucky here in the Pacific Northwest.

Phil.