Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-Mount DA Lens on ME Super

Greetings All!

This question may have been answered before, but a quick search of the forums shows it hasn't been...at least for a while.

I know all of Pentax's new DSLRs are backward compatible with their old glass. However, does it also work the other way around? That is, do the modern Pentax DA auto focus lenses also work on old Pentax film cameras?

I have recently acquired a "spare" Pentax K-mount DA L 50-200 lens and was wondering if there are any issues associated with using it on a Pentax ME Super film camera. I've already (gently) mounted it on my ME Super and the lens seems to work OK. Obviously the auto focus motor doesn't work (manual focusing seems to work fine) and the shutter on the camera seems to fire OK with the correct timing based on aperture.

However, i'm hesitant to proceed any further lest I do permanent damage to either the lens or the camera.

Any thoughts (or, better yet, personal experiences) would be welcome.

Many thanks!

03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by KB1SFVE3 Quote
Greetings All!

This question may have been answered before, but a quick search of the forums shows it hasn't been...at least for a while.

I know all of Pentax's new DSLRs are backward compatible with their old glass. However, does it also work the other way around? That is, do the modern Pentax DA auto focus lenses also work on old Pentax film cameras?

I have recently acquired a "spare" Pentax K-mount DA L 50-200 lens and was wondering if there are any issues associated with using it on a Pentax ME Super film camera. I've already (gently) mounted it on my ME Super and the lens seems to work OK. Obviously the auto focus motor doesn't work (manual focusing seems to work fine) and the shutter on the camera seems to fire OK with the correct timing based on aperture.

However, i'm hesitant to proceed any further lest I do permanent damage to either the lens or the camera.

Any thoughts (or, better yet, personal experiences) would be welcome.

Many thanks!
You won't cause any damage to the camera, but the lens is going to be borderline useless because of the fixed aperture of F22/32, even if you can live with the vignetting issue.

More details here:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian

In the A-series and newer the lens will work in P mode
in the ME super the diafragm will be closed always

I think ytou will have littlle to no vignetting inthe 50-200 though
03-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #4

the 50-200 does vigniette in every focal length... its not much, but its clearly visible...
the focal length that vigniettes the least, is around 70mm

03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KB1SFVE3 Quote
if there are any issues associated
Do you mean apart the vignetting which I'm pretty sure your going to get.