Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Vintage camera storage

Looking for ideas to store my 20 or so pentax film slr cameras. Would like an inexpensive box that isn't too oversize so that I could label it and take the camera out for a spin now and then. I really don't have the open shelf space. I have used plastic boxes and bubble wrapped the cameras but the system is bulky and not easy to work with. I don't want to use shoe boxes because the lids don't lock. Any ideas?

03-14-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
What is your trying to do, is for display purposes, humidity or dust control? Twenty cameras is a gonna be a big ish box.

Give us a bit more to go on, I'm sure there will be some clever answers out there for you.
03-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although it may cost more than you are expecting to spend, Pelican cases would be just the ticket. But you will need more than one for 20 or so cameras.
03-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To clarify, I am looking for twenty individual boxes - one for each camera. Think of it as more like the boxes they originally came in, which I don't have of course. So what could I use to protect each camera and would still be easy to open up and "play" with the camera. Right now they are bubble wrapped together in the same box and I don't like the protection or the ease of getting at them. I will still wrap and protect the camera, but just want it in an individual box for neat storage and accessibility.

03-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With lenses attached or with body caps?

You can buy card board boxes in lots of 25 in about any size you want. A 6x6x6 or 6x6x4 comes to mind as a nice size. Less than $1 per unit.

For about $10 a pop you can buy the small Case Logic camera bag which I use daily for my camera and one prime lens.

If you have the room for it an old card catalog file cabinet from a surplus sale and then the cardboard boxes as individual dividers is ideal. I have an combo 6 drawer unit (4 dual card + 2 regular letter size).
03-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

go to target or walmart...you can get all kinds of stackable systems with snap on tops
Amazon.com: Crystal Clear Stackable Storage Drawer Large: Storage & Organization
03-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It might be easier to get a metal filing cabinet from Staples or whomever. You can store the cameras and your lenses on the shelves and add some Silica gel packs for moisture protection. This is what I do and I have access to everything when I open the cabinet. You can also line the metal shelves with bubble wrap if you want a softer shelf surface.

Phil.

03-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
It might be easier to get a metal filing cabinet from Staples or whomever. You can store the cameras and your lenses on the shelves and add some Silica gel packs for moisture protection. This is what I do and I have access to everything when I open the cabinet. You can also line the metal shelves with bubble wrap if you want a softer shelf surface.

Phil.
If you figure out a way to have glass doors on a cabinet you can enjoy having your gear around you while you aren't using it, rather than having it neatly packed away in boxes or lined up on hidden shelves. I know that sounds really stupid for things that are supposed to be tools but if they're really vintage, and have collectible or sentimental value to you, why shouldn't you enjoy them for their current purpose?

When we came to the point in the discussion where I said, "These things I will not sell," that was my wife's advice. I made the space available by removing something else that had no real value to me.
03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Just be sure they stay dry, whatever you do. Put some silica in with them. I've had a few camera's go bad from sitting because the lubrication gets all gummed up from humidity and non-use. Especially on mechanical shutters.
03-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Just be sure they stay dry, whatever you do. Put some silica in with them. I've had a few camera's go bad from sitting because the lubrication gets all gummed up from humidity and non-use. Especially on mechanical shutters.
I have made it my practice to periodically exercise the shutters and other controls to help avoid issues of non-use and to help me know when things break!

Steve

(...besides...I really like the feel, sound, and smell of the cameras...)
03-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have made it my practice to periodically exercise the shutters and other controls to help avoid issues of non-use and to help me know when things break!

Steve

(...besides...I really like the feel, sound, and smell of the cameras...)
I just had to have a second CLA on my K2DMD because I hadn't used it in so long the ASA ring stuck again. I also had some late Auto Tak's and early Super-Tak's helicoids need to be exercised and the AutoTak's lubricated. On the upside their focus is calibrated now.

Collecting is fun but if you want them to work you have to work them.
03-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote

Phil.
Don't use a metal cabinet, they suffer from condensation terribly, and they keep the light out. They are a sure way to get fungus on the glass and milldew on any leather cases. I used a metal office cabinet as a temporary store for my gear a few years ago, the cabinet was under the stairs in a heated house and I used it for about 10 months to keep the dust off the gear while I did some work on the house. I lost everything, Canon A1, AE1, and about 6 lenses including a mint 500 reflex.
I keep my cameras, about 35 of them now, in a wooden bookcase with sliding glass doors, the lenses are in these excellent boxes from 'The Really Useful Box Company'

Really Useful Boxes Inc - Welcome - Buy Online Now!

These aren't airtight, I think that air circulating is better - but that's just my thought. They are however very strong, stackable, the inserts are good. I like them a lot, they go in the back of my 4x4 and take a beating, I sit and stand on them. I have packs of silica gel in the boxes and dry them regularly.

I also run two small dehumidifiers in the area I store all this stuff, I've got six of those large boxes and three smaller ones with lenses in and have no problems at all, and this house is 220 years old with no insulation, there's a natural spring in the cellar, I have humidity here.
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Don't use a metal cabinet, they suffer from condensation terribly, and they keep the light out. They are a sure way to get fungus on the glass and milldew on any leather cases. I used a metal office cabinet as a temporary store for my gear a few years ago, the cabinet was under the stairs in a heated house and I used it for about 10 months to keep the dust off the gear while I did some work on the house. I lost everything, Canon A1, AE1, and about 6 lenses including a mint 500 reflex.
I keep my cameras, about 35 of them now, in a wooden bookcase with sliding glass doors, the lenses are in these excellent boxes from 'The Really Useful Box Company'

Really Useful Boxes Inc - Welcome - Buy Online Now!

These aren't airtight, I think that air circulating is better - but that's just my thought. They are however very strong, stackable, the inserts are good. I like them a lot, they go in the back of my 4x4 and take a beating, I sit and stand on them. I have packs of silica gel in the boxes and dry them regularly.

I also run two small dehumidifiers in the area I store all this stuff, I've got six of those large boxes and three smaller ones with lenses in and have no problems at all, and this house is 220 years old with no insulation, there's a natural spring in the cellar, I have humidity here.
Yeah I guess it depends on the place you live in. I’m in a newer townhouse sealed airtight, with zero humidity issues. The room temperature does not vary much and I have silica gel packs in each lens/camera case, each shelve and one for the room just in case. I have seen some stores use those boxes that you have and they look good.

Phil.
03-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes, a modern building with good insulation and a constant temperature shouldn't have humidity problems, unlike this old place where I've had ice on the inside of the windows, even with the heating on!
I also use a hygrometer that I got from a pet store, they use them for snake tanks apparently, so I can monitor the humidity levels. I manage to keep it just below 40%.
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the post - I'm looking very closely at these boxes and trying to figure out from the website the tray and box combination that works.