Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,686
I'm very pleased with the FA 28mm f2.8. Compact, great colour and contrast, sharp from wide open, fast AF, low fringing/CA. This has to be one of the most underrated lenses ever.

03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near Vienna, Austria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 759
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm very pleased with the FA 28mm f2.8. Compact, great colour and contrast, sharp from wide open, fast AF, low fringing/CA. This has to be one of the most underrated lenses ever.
I second that. I started out with the M 2.8/28mm 1st version and was not impressed. Then I mostly used the 3.5/28mm Shift until I got the FA which was a giant leap forward in terms of IQ. All of this applies to my film days. I don't use 28mm a lot on digital but found no issues with the FA.
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gabriola Island
Posts: 591
QuoteOriginally posted by senchi Quote
Hey All,

I'm new here so don't be too aggressive towards me.

I've been wanting a 28mm prime lens that will fit my ME Super, and I've read that the SMC K 28 f3.5 is one of the best ones out there.
I'm also having trouble trying to find the darn lens, and if any of you can lead me towards it, I'll be much grateful.

If there are any other good 28mm K-Mount lens, leave a suggestion!

Thanks,
Chris
Welcome.
I agree with the comments that there is a fairly wide assortment of good 28s available. I have most of those mentioned. The K 28/3.5 is very good, but may be a bit hard to find and pricy.

For use by a relative newcomer on an ME Super, the M 28/2.8 is not a bad choice. They are common and can be had for little money. Not as good as some of the others, but just fine unless you are doing critical work at wider apertures. It's very compact and, on the ME Super, fits nicely in a jacket pocket. You might buy one of those just to get your feet wet, then take your time watching for good deals on better lenses.

If you are looking for something that will work well on your ME Super and will migrate nicely to digital, I also like the FA 28/2.8. It has become a favourite of mine.

Tip: The M 28/2.8 is common enough that you may find it in lower end pawn shops, thrift stores etc. for less than you might pay on Ebay. I've acquired quite a few good lenses by being patient and looking in obscure locations in small towns. Most recent score was in a local junk store that had pristine Super Takumar 28/3.5 1st version and 105/2.8 for $10 each.

Have fun!
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,686
Some here tout the F 28mm 2.8 over the FA, but I had both and the FA is the better lens, IME. The F 28mm had noticeable fringing, something I've not seen with the FA 28. In other ways they were pretty comparable, but fringing is a big issue for me.

03-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,459
QuoteOriginally posted by senchi Quote
If there are any other good 28mm K-Mount lens, leave a suggestion!
As noted in great volume above there are a ton of good 28mm lenses in K-mount. In fact, it is pretty hard to find a bad one! I am a fan of the Tamron 28/2.5 (02B, Adaptall-2).


Steve
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
wow. this has been very informative. I certainly had it in my mind that a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7. I have had it for two days and noticed the same things mentioned above, but had nothing to compare it to (i.e. that the 3.5 resolves at f/8 what the 2.8 resolves at f/11). Yesterday I was testing using only hyperfocals at f/8and getting 'soft/painterly/flattering' images at best, blurry (even at 1/320s) at worst. Couldn't figure it out. Today stopped down to f/11, and i have to say the lens certainly passes muster. I think I also have the infinity problem -- certainly seems that NOTHING is in focus if I crank the barrel all the way to infinity. My version DOES have a serial number on the front. First version?

So -- who is Eric, and is this problem (misaligned hyperfocals) correctable? In any case, I said I'd post some samples and here they are.The first two are from yesterday. f/8. at or around the orange HF marks of 10 foot with focus between 5 feet to infinity. shutter speed in EXIF. Second two are f/11 and I'd say it passed muster.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,459
QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7.
Nope. One might think so, but the M 28/2.8 is pretty much an average performer and was an inexpensive lens at the time it was made. It has excellent build, but was cheaper than a Vivitar and quite a bit cheaper than the Tamron 28/2.5 or Pentax-M 28/3.5. I bought my Tamron new in 1982 in preference over the Pentax 28/2/8 based on published lens test results.


Steve
03-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 75
I also have a vivitar 2.8, not sure which one...plastic build, has "a" setting. not quite as good as the Ricoh, but I am liking the M better than any of the 28s I have so far (about 500 shots on the M in 2 days). Is it characteristic of 28s to be less sharp or something? I have noticed that all of the wider lenses I have seem harder to get tack sharp focus on an APS-C sensor than at normal focal lengths. Also, I should note, I am using a K-o1. Focus peaking seems useless at 19mm and vague at 28...just wondering if there is something particular about the construction of wide angle lenses that make them prone to more difficult focusing. Another problem I have noticed is a tendency towards clipped highlights (digital). I dont recall having this problem when I shot 35mm film with 28mm/ f/3.5 Zukio lens on an OM1. I have tried 'matrix' metering and it seems to work better than center weighted for 28s. Like I said, I have been working intermittently with four different 28mm lenses (a Focal, a Vivitar, a Ricoh and the SMC-M) and the 18-55 DA and a Phoenix 19-35. All seem to suffer from clipped highlights, difficulty nailing focus and soft images. Now, it could just be the lenses need to be serviced or corrected or are just not good enough lenses, it could be operator error, or it could be a characteristic of the optical engineering of lenses within that range? I dont know. I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any experience or data on how a 28 interfaces with digital APS-C sensors. (which is a shame, because the resultant cropped focal length of 42 feels like cheating sometimes. Joy to compose a little bit wide like that....just enough to get some context, and you have to be close enough in to your subject to make it challenging to get candid shots).

03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,459
QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
Is it characteristic of 28s to be less sharp or something? I have noticed that all of the wider lenses I have seem harder to get tack sharp focus on an APS-C sensor than at normal focal lengths.
No, they are not typically less sharp, though critical focus might be more difficult due to lower magnification. Greater DOF is sort of a myth if critically sharp focus is needed.

As for your clipped highlights...there may be an issue with lazy aperture (blades fouled with oil or something similar) or perhaps there is a metering issue. Remember...no A contacts means stop-down metering which means potential meter accuracy issues with many Pentax bodies and exposure mode is important here. (I don't know how the K-01 performs in this regard.)

I have a couple of 28s and while I love that length on 35mm film, it leaves me a little cold on APS-C. That being said, I do get the occasional good shot with mine. This was with the Tamron 28/2.5 on the K10D.



And this one with the Vivitar 28/2.8 (K02)...




Steve
03-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,350
The K 28mm f/2 is legendary, but very rare and expensive. The K 28mm f/3.5 you are looking for is indeed a superb lens, very sharp, great colours and contrast, extremely well built (though big and heavy). The M 28mm f/3.5 is almost as good (it's not the same optical design) but lacks the magic, and is much more common so half the price.

There are indeed two versions of the M 28mm f/2.8, I had the first (more common) version and sold it quite quickly as it is nothing special and produces very flat-looking pictures, I'd say don't bother with it at all. The version two (optically the same as the A 28/2.8) is considerably nicer (sharper, better colour and contrast), though I've been using it on film recently and noticed barrel distortion when using it for shots of buildings.

K 28/3.5 > M 28/3.5 > M 28/2.8 (II) > M 28/2.8 (I)
03-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #26
Junior Member
Putu's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 35
If you on Budget why don't try Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5
ussually i use Nikkor 28/2.8Ais if i use Nikon,
On Pentax I've just tried Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5,
it very cheap, and acoomodate 28, 35, 50, 70, 80 + macro.
03-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2012
Location: Adelaide
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by Putu Quote
If you on Budget why don't try Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5
ussually i use Nikkor 28/2.8Ais if i use Nikon,
On Pentax I've just tried Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5,
it very cheap, and acoomodate 28, 35, 50, 70, 80 + macro.
Or try the M 28-50mm 3.5-4.5. It doesn't rate well here on the forum, but I have been handed a mint copy. It is sharp (at F5.6 compares very well vs M28/3.5 and M50/1.7) and the saturation and contrast are just something else. I need to use this lens more, and will likely feature on a future Single in... challenge. There's a copy for sale here on the Forum at present at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/215707-sale-s...3-5-4-5-a.html
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Site Supporter
hollywoodfred's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hollywood, Maryland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 347
QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
wow. this has been very informative. I certainly had it in my mind that a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7. I have had it for two days and noticed the same things mentioned above, but had nothing to compare it to (i.e. that the 3.5 resolves at f/8 what the 2.8 resolves at f/11). Yesterday I was testing using only hyperfocals at f/8and getting 'soft/painterly/flattering' images at best, blurry (even at 1/320s) at worst. Couldn't figure it out. Today stopped down to f/11, and i have to say the lens certainly passes muster. I think I also have the infinity problem -- certainly seems that NOTHING is in focus if I crank the barrel all the way to infinity. My version DOES have a serial number on the front. First version?

So -- who is Eric, and is this problem (misaligned hyperfocals) correctable? In any case, I said I'd post some samples and here they are.The first two are from yesterday. f/8. at or around the orange HF marks of 10 foot with focus between 5 feet to infinity. shutter speed in EXIF. Second two are f/11 and I'd say it passed muster.
Eric is a well-regarded Pentax repair technician, located in Tennessee, whose services have been used by many members here, including me. Here is his website: Home
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+100 :d
03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,342
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Or try the M 28-50mm 3.5-4.5. It doesn't rate well here on the forum, but I have been handed a mint copy. It is sharp (at F5.6 compares very well vs M28/3.5 and M50/1.7) and the saturation and contrast are just something else. I need to use this lens more, and will likely feature on a future Single in... challenge. There's a copy for sale here on the Forum at present at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/215707-sale-s...3-5-4-5-a.html
The M24-50/4 or the M24-35/3.5 are also not too bad for an old zoom.

Phil.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, 28mm lens, lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax 1:3.5 28mm lens (K-mount) HenrikDK Sold Items 2 03-06-2013 01:55 PM
"Best" K-Mount Macro Lens for $200 or Less? lukelbd Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 02-13-2013 05:20 AM
question re: Vivitar 28mm/49mm 1:2.8 Lens for Pentax K PK Mount AUTO PRIME WIDE ANGLE pilip Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 04-14-2012 03:39 AM
For Sale - Sold: Rokinon 28mm f/2.8 Wide Angle MF lens K mount dcshooter Sold Items 2 01-23-2012 09:49 PM
Best 24-28mm prime for K-5? tram57 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-19-2011 11:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top