Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm very pleased with the FA 28mm f2.8. Compact, great colour and contrast, sharp from wide open, fast AF, low fringing/CA. This has to be one of the most underrated lenses ever.

03-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm very pleased with the FA 28mm f2.8. Compact, great colour and contrast, sharp from wide open, fast AF, low fringing/CA. This has to be one of the most underrated lenses ever.
I second that. I started out with the M 2.8/28mm 1st version and was not impressed. Then I mostly used the 3.5/28mm Shift until I got the FA which was a giant leap forward in terms of IQ. All of this applies to my film days. I don't use 28mm a lot on digital but found no issues with the FA.
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by senchi Quote
Hey All,

I'm new here so don't be too aggressive towards me.

I've been wanting a 28mm prime lens that will fit my ME Super, and I've read that the SMC K 28 f3.5 is one of the best ones out there.
I'm also having trouble trying to find the darn lens, and if any of you can lead me towards it, I'll be much grateful.

If there are any other good 28mm K-Mount lens, leave a suggestion!

Thanks,
Chris
Welcome.
I agree with the comments that there is a fairly wide assortment of good 28s available. I have most of those mentioned. The K 28/3.5 is very good, but may be a bit hard to find and pricy.

For use by a relative newcomer on an ME Super, the M 28/2.8 is not a bad choice. They are common and can be had for little money. Not as good as some of the others, but just fine unless you are doing critical work at wider apertures. It's very compact and, on the ME Super, fits nicely in a jacket pocket. You might buy one of those just to get your feet wet, then take your time watching for good deals on better lenses.

If you are looking for something that will work well on your ME Super and will migrate nicely to digital, I also like the FA 28/2.8. It has become a favourite of mine.

Tip: The M 28/2.8 is common enough that you may find it in lower end pawn shops, thrift stores etc. for less than you might pay on Ebay. I've acquired quite a few good lenses by being patient and looking in obscure locations in small towns. Most recent score was in a local junk store that had pristine Super Takumar 28/3.5 1st version and 105/2.8 for $10 each.

Have fun!
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Some here tout the F 28mm 2.8 over the FA, but I had both and the FA is the better lens, IME. The F 28mm had noticeable fringing, something I've not seen with the FA 28. In other ways they were pretty comparable, but fringing is a big issue for me.

03-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by senchi Quote
If there are any other good 28mm K-Mount lens, leave a suggestion!
As noted in great volume above there are a ton of good 28mm lenses in K-mount. In fact, it is pretty hard to find a bad one! I am a fan of the Tamron 28/2.5 (02B, Adaptall-2).

Steve
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #21
Forum Member

wow. this has been very informative. I certainly had it in my mind that a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7. I have had it for two days and noticed the same things mentioned above, but had nothing to compare it to (i.e. that the 3.5 resolves at f/8 what the 2.8 resolves at f/11). Yesterday I was testing using only hyperfocals at f/8and getting 'soft/painterly/flattering' images at best, blurry (even at 1/320s) at worst. Couldn't figure it out. Today stopped down to f/11, and i have to say the lens certainly passes muster. I think I also have the infinity problem -- certainly seems that NOTHING is in focus if I crank the barrel all the way to infinity. My version DOES have a serial number on the front. First version?

So -- who is Eric, and is this problem (misaligned hyperfocals) correctable? In any case, I said I'd post some samples and here they are.The first two are from yesterday. f/8. at or around the orange HF marks of 10 foot with focus between 5 feet to infinity. shutter speed in EXIF. Second two are f/11 and I'd say it passed muster.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cristigj Quote
a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7.
Nope. One might think so, but the M 28/2.8 is pretty much an average performer and was an inexpensive lens at the time it was made. It has excellent build, but was cheaper than a Vivitar and quite a bit cheaper than the Tamron 28/2.5 or Pentax-M 28/3.5. I bought my Tamron new in 1982 in preference over the Pentax 28/2/8 based on published lens test results.

Steve

03-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #23
Forum Member

I also have a vivitar 2.8, not sure which one...plastic build, has "a" setting. not quite as good as the Ricoh, but I am liking the M better than any of the 28s I have so far (about 500 shots on the M in 2 days). Is it characteristic of 28s to be less sharp or something? I have noticed that all of the wider lenses I have seem harder to get tack sharp focus on an APS-C sensor than at normal focal lengths. Also, I should note, I am using a K-o1. Focus peaking seems useless at 19mm and vague at 28...just wondering if there is something particular about the construction of wide angle lenses that make them prone to more difficult focusing. Another problem I have noticed is a tendency towards clipped highlights (digital). I dont recall having this problem when I shot 35mm film with 28mm/ f/3.5 Zukio lens on an OM1. I have tried 'matrix' metering and it seems to work better than center weighted for 28s. Like I said, I have been working intermittently with four different 28mm lenses (a Focal, a Vivitar, a Ricoh and the SMC-M) and the 18-55 DA and a Phoenix 19-35. All seem to suffer from clipped highlights, difficulty nailing focus and soft images. Now, it could just be the lenses need to be serviced or corrected or are just not good enough lenses, it could be operator error, or it could be a characteristic of the optical engineering of lenses within that range? I dont know. I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any experience or data on how a 28 interfaces with digital APS-C sensors. (which is a shame, because the resultant cropped focal length of 42 feels like cheating sometimes. Joy to compose a little bit wide like that....just enough to get some context, and you have to be close enough in to your subject to make it challenging to get candid shots).
03-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Is it characteristic of 28s to be less sharp or something? I have noticed that all of the wider lenses I have seem harder to get tack sharp focus on an APS-C sensor than at normal focal lengths.
No, they are not typically less sharp, though critical focus might be more difficult due to lower magnification. Greater DOF is sort of a myth if critically sharp focus is needed.

As for your clipped highlights...there may be an issue with lazy aperture (blades fouled with oil or something similar) or perhaps there is a metering issue. Remember...no A contacts means stop-down metering which means potential meter accuracy issues with many Pentax bodies and exposure mode is important here. (I don't know how the K-01 performs in this regard.)

I have a couple of 28s and while I love that length on 35mm film, it leaves me a little cold on APS-C. That being said, I do get the occasional good shot with mine. This was with the Tamron 28/2.5 on the K10D.

And this one with the Vivitar 28/2.8 (K02)...

Steve
03-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

The K 28mm f/2 is legendary, but very rare and expensive. The K 28mm f/3.5 you are looking for is indeed a superb lens, very sharp, great colours and contrast, extremely well built (though big and heavy). The M 28mm f/3.5 is almost as good (it's not the same optical design) but lacks the magic, and is much more common so half the price.

There are indeed two versions of the M 28mm f/2.8, I had the first (more common) version and sold it quite quickly as it is nothing special and produces very flat-looking pictures, I'd say don't bother with it at all. The version two (optically the same as the A 28/2.8) is considerably nicer (sharper, better colour and contrast), though I've been using it on film recently and noticed barrel distortion when using it for shots of buildings.

K 28/3.5 > M 28/3.5 > M 28/2.8 (II) > M 28/2.8 (I)
03-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #26

If you on Budget why don't try Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5
ussually i use Nikkor 28/2.8Ais if i use Nikon,
On Pentax I've just tried Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5,
it very cheap, and acoomodate 28, 35, 50, 70, 80 + macro.
03-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Putu Quote
If you on Budget why don't try Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5
ussually i use Nikkor 28/2.8Ais if i use Nikon,
On Pentax I've just tried Non SMC A 28-80/3.5-4.5,
it very cheap, and acoomodate 28, 35, 50, 70, 80 + macro.
Or try the M 28-50mm 3.5-4.5. It doesn't rate well here on the forum, but I have been handed a mint copy. It is sharp (at F5.6 compares very well vs M28/3.5 and M50/1.7) and the saturation and contrast are just something else. I need to use this lens more, and will likely feature on a future Single in... challenge. There's a copy for sale here on the Forum at present at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/215707-sale-s...3-5-4-5-a.html
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

wow. this has been very informative. I certainly had it in my mind that a Pentax M SMC f2.8 that I bought "should" perform like my 50mm f/1.7. I have had it for two days and noticed the same things mentioned above, but had nothing to compare it to (i.e. that the 3.5 resolves at f/8 what the 2.8 resolves at f/11). Yesterday I was testing using only hyperfocals at f/8and getting 'soft/painterly/flattering' images at best, blurry (even at 1/320s) at worst. Couldn't figure it out. Today stopped down to f/11, and i have to say the lens certainly passes muster. I think I also have the infinity problem -- certainly seems that NOTHING is in focus if I crank the barrel all the way to infinity. My version DOES have a serial number on the front. First version?

So -- who is Eric, and is this problem (misaligned hyperfocals) correctable? In any case, I said I'd post some samples and here they are.The first two are from yesterday. f/8. at or around the orange HF marks of 10 foot with focus between 5 feet to infinity. shutter speed in EXIF. Second two are f/11 and I'd say it passed muster.
Eric is a well-regarded Pentax repair technician, located in Tennessee, whose services have been used by many members here, including me. Here is his website: Home
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+100 :d
03-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Or try the M 28-50mm 3.5-4.5. It doesn't rate well here on the forum, but I have been handed a mint copy. It is sharp (at F5.6 compares very well vs M28/3.5 and M50/1.7) and the saturation and contrast are just something else. I need to use this lens more, and will likely feature on a future Single in... challenge. There's a copy for sale here on the Forum at present at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/215707-sale-s...3-5-4-5-a.html
The M24-50/4 or the M24-35/3.5 are also not too bad for an old zoom.

Phil.