Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, by consolidating processing a fewer labs they remain viable as business drops. Let's keep Dwayne's open!

03-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Also, by consolidating processing a fewer labs they remain viable as business drops. Let's keep Dwayne's open!
I'm trying to do my part - as small as it is. Ever since a temporary shutdown at my local Walmart, Dwayne's has been getting all my developing - unless I absolutely have to have the results in an hour (read: don't have the patience to wait and don't care about the final result). And with Dwayne's, if I send more than one roll per shipment, they are cheaper than Walmart.
03-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I knew this day was coming. Within this region, about the only film I can buy over the counter is C-41 process color ... Usually only in 35mm, one brand, one speed, and a 3 roll box; or a couple variations on single-use cameras .... and you have to look carefully to spot it. I don't think there is a commercial lab within 200 miles that processes film anymore - and I am sure in most cases their standard prints are digital scans to dye-sublimation or inkjet printers.

I shoot digital almost exclusively these days, but still have an affinity for film photography. I almost gave up the hobby when I could no longer get my favorite Kodak Ektachrome except out of someone's freezer via mail order. And it was painful when I sold all my darkroom equipment for next to nothing a couple years ago. Ignoring my spouse and kids' abandoned film P&S compact zoom cameras, I am down to two still usable film cameras - both from the late 50's or early 60's - - a Kodak 35mm rangefinder and a Yashica twin-lens reflex 6X6. I have several wonderful older folding cameras, but I would have to manufacture my own film by transferring 120/220 rolls onto my few 616 size spindles.
03-21-2013, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Dwayne's has been getting all my developing
I started using Dwayne's at the end of Kodachrome (bought 4 Prepaid Mailers and 4 rolls from a member and kept one in the crisper for posterity) and then I discovered that my professional camera Canikon store wh#$% sends all thier B&W (actually everything that isn't C-41-easy) to Dwayne's and marks it up 100%.

So now I just cut out the middleman and ship them myself.

In the artists district here there is an emerging art printing movement that looks very interesting. I imagine we'll always have access to some kind of 135 film and developing and printing - the issue will be the cost.

03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got a roll of 120 Provia 100F that I shot with my Yashica TLR back from Denver Digital Imaging Center, and they did a bang up job. Quick turn around, the slides are clean, the color is fantastic, and even shipped me back my take-up spool. They offer free shipping, but there is a $5 handling charge per order, though I think if you ship them multiple rolls, it spreads out the cost. Along with Dwayne's and Robert Photo Lab, you definitely owe it to yourself to give them a try.

Anyone else have a local lab that they can recommend? It's important to try to keep these folks afloat.
03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just checking out some local resources, and remembered the local Community Darkrooms. For a $280 yearly membership fee you get access to a studio, darkrooms and a digital lab. The digital lab includes high end Macintosh computers, film scanners and Adobe Creative Suit. The B&W darkroom has 11 workstations with 4x5 Saunders enlargers, tray processing and paper dryers. The lighting studio has a copy stand, soft boxes, tripods, reflectors, multiple backgrounds and a lighting system. There is also a finishing area with a dry mount press, paper and mat cutter etc...

I probably would have remembered it sooner if I ever bothered to go to the Syracuse Camera Club.

The downside is that it is at Syracuse University. It's only open late early in the week, it's closed on Saturday, and parking is nearly impossible...

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-21-2013 at 02:31 PM.
03-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now there's no reason to ever go to Walgreens (other than the fact that it's not CVS)...

Chris

03-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Speaking of mail in film processing, any recommendations for an economical but decent quality option for C-41 color and traditional B&W processing for 35mm? I was thinking either The Darkroom or Dwayne's. The last time I took a roll of film to CVS, they royally messed up.
03-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
Speaking of mail in film processing, any recommendations for an economical but decent quality option for C-41 color and traditional B&W processing for 35mm? I was thinking either The Darkroom or Dwayne's. The last time I took a roll of film to CVS, they royally messed up.
I'm not familiar with any others. But you can't go wrong with Dwayne's. A 24 exposure roll will cost you $12.99 - includes developing, prints, high resolution images on CD, and shipping. For me it's $2.07 postage to get the roll there. In my experience Turnaround time has been between 7 to 14 days.

You can check some of thier prices here: Processing and printing of color negative film - develop and print - great prices from a trusted name for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo Service
03-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
I'm not familiar with any others. But you can't go wrong with Dwayne's. A 24 exposure roll will cost you $12.99 - includes developing, prints, high resolution images on CD, and shipping. For me it's $2.07 postage to get the roll there. In my experience Turnaround time has been between 7 to 14 days.

You can check some of thier prices here: Processing and printing of color negative film - develop and print - great prices from a trusted name for over 50 years - Dwayne's Photo Service
Dwayne's is a little cheaper. The Darkroom charges a flat $10/roll for processing, cd, & web upload postage paid. Prints are extra, starting at $5.00 for 4x6. Return postage starts at $4.50. What The Darkroom offers that Dwayne's doesn't is higher resolution scans (2048x3072 18.1MB vs 1024x1526 4.5MB). That cost's an extra $5.00.
03-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

There are some good quality labs still operating in the UK, a but like Dwaynes. I use The Darkroom UK but Peak Imaging are equally good. £3 postage per parcel, so I save up four or five rolls of film to send to them in a batch rather than one roll at a time. Postage used to be free until the Royal Mail hiked the prices up hugely for small packets. I guess with emails replacing letters, small packets are the growth area for postal firms.

K.
03-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

While on the subject, anyone know of a good photographic store for buying film in Honolulu and/or San Francisco?

Thanks, Kris.
03-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
While on the subject, anyone know of a good photographic store for buying film in Honolulu and/or San Francisco?

Thanks, Kris.
Geez! I wish I needed to buy film in Honolulu! Enjoy the trip!!
03-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #29

I have one CVS near work and a Target near home that still develop C41 for less than $3 a roll (processing only). However, there are still several places in Manhattan that will do B&W, E6 and C41. The place I used most recently is Luster Photo, and they did a good job on a large batch of Velvia as well as two rolls of 120 Agfapan(!) that I had forgotten in a drawer. There's a light table in the store, so you can examine your negs and slides before you leave. For me, seeing slides under a loupe has more of an emotional impact than viewing jpegs on a computer monitor. It might have something to do with the seasonal affect disorder - drat this never ending winter

I hope we can all find a way to develop our film in the digital era.

Larry
03-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

For those of you interested in mail-order options, here's an update on current turnaround time from Dwayne's...

I just received an email from them, notifying me the roll I sent to them on 3/16 (and recieved by them about 3/19) is on its way back to me. I expect I'll get the package on the 25th or 26th. That's 9 to 10 days round trip between Maryland and Kansas, with most of it transit time.