Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
New Member
nkuce's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Pentax P30 + ILFORD HP5

I recently got a used camera PENTAX P30;
The manual says I should use DX film, or the camera will default to ISO 100. My film is Ilford HP5 400/27 and is labled 'DXN' --
Do the "N" mean anything I should worry about, or can I use that film without worry?


any help appreciated!



Ilford HP5 400/27 > http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20106281054152313.pdf

03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,785
No idea what the N is for but DX is DX. I think it would be hard to find any new film that is not DX. I don't know the P30 but most cameras have a way to manually enter the ISO in case the camera doesn't recognize the film from the DX encoding on the canister.
03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
tlong423's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 183
I have used very recent HP5 rolls in a Pentax P3N (essentially the same camera). It worked fine.
03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian
maxfield_photo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,215
The DX code is the silver bits on the side of the film canister. Inside the camera body you will notice some contacts where the film canister sits, those read the DX coding. Like blackcloudbrew said, it's hard to find film that isn't DX coded these days, the only time you would probably encounter it is when you use generic canisters and bulk load your own film.

If you want to push or pull your film though, this becomes an issue if the camera doesn't offer a way to override the DX coding. I suppose you could cover the coding with a piece of electrical tape, and that would give you a default pull of 2 stops in the case of ISO 400 film. If you wanted a different push/pull factor, you would just need to shoot in manual and remember to over or under expose every frame on the roll by the same amount.

03-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian
carrrlangas's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cottbus (Berlin)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,738
DXn stands for Digital indeX Number:

DX number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apart from the DX code, (black and silver squares that are read by the camera) the DXn adds a barcode and number for the film proccesing machines that can read the bar code..
But the DX code will work the same.
03-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I think it would be hard to find any new film that is not DX.
I have several rolls of Rollei Retro 80s (bought last year) in my refrigerator that lack DX encoding. This is not unusual for specialty emulsions or art films.


Steve
03-27-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,785
IIRC DX coding came in somewhere near the early1990's so it's quite likely that film from the 1980 would not have it. That was why I said new film. However, I figured that i might be wrong for something like specialty films.
03-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
IIRC DX coding came in somewhere near the early1990's so it's quite likely that film from the 1980 would not have it. That was why I said new film. However, I figured that i might be wrong for something like specialty films.
DX encoding (as with the P30) dates from the early 1980s and Rollei Retro 80s is a newer film (only been available for about 5 years). The "80s" part of the name refers to the nominal ISO film speed. Your point is well-taken though. Even the "brown box" film I got from Four Corners Store has DX. I don't know why Maco/Mahn did not put the DX codes on some of their Rollei-labeled films.

As for the P-series cameras...It is a crying shame that they don't feature manual film speed override. They are sturdy and well-designed and as far as I am concerned, the DX limitation is the only drawback to ownership.


Steve

03-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,785
Thanks for those clarifications!
04-09-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 612
I had to sell my P30T because it does not allow DX override. I bulk load 90% of my B&W 35mm film, and push the other 10% for more contrast. Ended up going to an MZ-S in the long run.
04-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
Pentaxian
carrrlangas's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cottbus (Berlin)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,738
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
I had to sell my P30T because it does not allow DX override. I bulk load 90% of my B&W 35mm film, and push the other 10% for more contrast. Ended up going to an MZ-S in the long run.
Perhaps a bit late.. But I found a way to fool the DX reader by using a dremel on the DX nof the film cannister...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/200819-pushing...rst-timer.html
04-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Albums
Posts: 612
I realize you can grind off the paint to make your own DX code, but I didn't want to fool with that honestly. All of my film is bulk loaded and I often change up the ISO as necessary. Sometimes I push Delta 400 to 3200, or pull to 200, or rate Foma 100 at 50, to affect contrast and tonality (and also appearance of grain). It would be too much to keep track of which reloadable cassettes I've modified to read at what DX code. It was easier to get a different camera honestly.
04-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,115
I use tin foil, paper and glue to make my own DX code labels for when I want to push (not that often). It's very easy.

I think you used to be able to buy them but now that film is less common, it may not be the case. Anyway, my way will surely be cheaper.

I agree the P30 series cameras are great, and with the above treatment to get around the DX limitation, they are my most-used cameras, and I have an MX, a KX, an ME Super...
04-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,643
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
It was easier to get a different camera honestly.
Unfortunately, this is the ultimate solution.


Steve
05-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
New Member
nkuce's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Original Poster
Thank You ALL very much for your helpfulness!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, film, hp5, ilford, p30, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax P30 - Wind Lever Problem. nat.mitch Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 10-28-2012 06:43 PM
Ilford HP5 400 temperature bnishanth Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 03-02-2009 03:50 PM
Ilford HP5+: round 2, pushed to 1600. CSoars Pentax Film SLR Discussion 21 02-24-2009 09:20 AM
Ilford HP5 shots Gooshin Pentax Film SLR Discussion 9 01-17-2009 01:50 PM
Shot some Ilford HP5 Plus (2 sample shots) CSoars Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 01-12-2009 10:24 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top