Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #1

Pentax ME Shutter Delay Issue

Hey all - first post, so bear with me. I attempted searching for an answer but couldn't find one that specifically applied to my situation.

I have a Pentax ME that belonged to my grandmother (hence why I'm attempting to rescue the poor thing as opposed to just finding another) and I'm finally starting to use it again.

Anyway, I'm having this shutter delay problem. It's occasional: I'll go to take a photo - even in super well-lit, high shutter speed situations - and the shutter opens but doesn't close.

Typically, I temporarily remedy the problem with a good smack that releases the mirror and closes the curtains.

Is this a sign that one of the contacts on the circuit has gone bad? Any opinions or suggestions?

03-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the film advance lever flop about? If so, a piece of spring steel which holds it firm may be jamming it. I had my ME Super CLA 'd and the technician indicated that was a problem that was common. Send it in for repair. I have been very pleased with the performance of mine after proper maintenance.
04-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a similar problem with my Super ME. When using manual shutter speed at 125x, the shutter seems sluggish. Fortunately, it had no affect on the photos. The obvious concern was overexposure. I took it down to my tried and tested local camera repair shop. They informed me that it has a worn washer, and that it would run about $100 for labor and parts. Since the issue was not causing any problems,
I opted out of the repair estimate. Although, since the unit is more than 20 years old, I imagine it will not be long for this life. I hope this helps. I know I have been helped immensely by others offering even tidbits of info.

regards,
Tony
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Mine shows similar symptoms. Mirror stays up and the shutter curtain does complete its full circle. a good smack used to help but now I have to manually move the shutter curtain (yes, finger through mirror box) to get the mirror to go down. Funny thing is, that it only happens to my camera in cold environments.