Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1

HELP! Pentax Me super filmd rewind crank came off, cant get it back on

HELP! Pentax Me super filmd rewind crank came off, cant get it back on since the rewind button is stuck down. Making it almost impossible to rescrew the film rewind crank back. But the thing is i just wanna finish rewinding my film and get it out of there.. what tools are recommended to manually rewind it? or if anybody knows the solution to my original problem thatd be great! i was planning on just taking it to the camera shop near my house.

I tried taking the bottom off and messing with the mechanical spring situation to get the button to release but to no avail.

03-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Your safest option is to take it to the camera shop. They may even do the task for free. Or...you can grasp the threaded end of the wind spindle (should be poking out) with a piece of cloth and simply pull it up to release the back. Do this in a perfectly dark room or in a film changing (dark) bag, remove the film and rewind it into the canister and turn on the lights. You should then be able to thread the crank back onto the spindle.

Steve
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Also remember, on the ME there's a small cap on the underside (not the battery one)

If you remove this there's a fitting that allows the motorwind to wind film on (and I believe also rewind it)

Perhaps you can use this fitting to twist with your finger or something and rewind the film?
It's not going to be easy (not even 100% it's possible) but it's an option if you don't have access to a darkroom or dark bag (which I'd use as first preference if available)
03-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hi! Welcome to the Pentax Forums. Your safest option is to take it to the camera shop. They may even do the task for free. Or...you can grasp the threaded end of the wind spindle (should be poking out) with a piece of cloth and simply pull it up to release the back. Do this in a perfectly dark room or in a film changing (dark) bag, remove the film and rewind it into the canister and turn on the lights. You should then be able to thread the crank back onto the spindle.

Steve
the problem is is that its not sticking out, its stuck down (the threaded spinnel)

03-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
Also remember, on the ME there's a small cap on the underside (not the battery one)

If you remove this there's a fitting that allows the motorwind to wind film on (and I believe also rewind it)

Perhaps you can use this fitting to twist with your finger or something and rewind the film?
It's not going to be easy (not even 100% it's possible) but it's an option if you don't have access to a darkroom or dark bag (which I'd use as first preference if available)
what do you mean by fitting?
03-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
(and I believe also rewind it)
I don't think so...

Steve

(...owns the ME Winder II...no can do...)
03-30-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the ME Super repair manual. If your rewind lever has fallen off and the threaded spindle is down inside the camera, that is usually a good indication that no film is loaded and that a few parts may be missing as well.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf

The repair shop should be able to help you and I would suggest that you use their services. Unless, of course, you already own a set of JIS screwdrivers (no, those cross-head screws are not Phillips head) and the appropriate spanners to allow disassembly and don't mind maybe not getting the camera working again.

Steve
04-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

On a Minolta that had the button stuck down it released easily when I screwed a cable release into the button, and worked fine afterwards. it's worth a try.