Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #16
dmc
Forum Member

Kodak Porta 160 in 35mm is available fresh online from Freestyle Photographic Supplies. I use it every day.

04-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Portra is also available not only in 35mm and 120 but also both it and Ektar in 4X5
Kodak's gift to the Large Format world...

Steve
04-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
Inactive Account

i was told be Malcolm Lockwood "who has photos in the Smithsonian" that if you put your film in the refrigerator it wont expire and it can actually raise the iso a little bit
04-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You can only get fuji pro 160 in 120. 35mm was discontinued. I just ordered large batch of it for my MF camera. Both portras and ektar are fresh. So is fuji pro 400h. You must be looking in places where they are just pushing old stock

04-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arimel Quote
i was told be Malcolm Lockwood "who has photos in the Smithsonian" that if you put your film in the refrigerator it wont expire and it can actually raise the iso a little bit
It sounds like Malcolm might have an active imagination...

Steve
04-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Arimel Quote
It does not stop expiration, it only slows it. Your film is still going to be fogged by the radiation inherent in the atmosphere, no stopping that. Also, color dye couplers will be less stable over time leading to color shift. B&W film is not affected by color shift obviously, but you'll still get fogging by atmospheric radiation. This is a big problem with either very fast films (Delta 3200 and TMax 3200 are barely good a year past their expiration dates as an example or very old films (I shot some 30 year old Tri-X 400; effective ISO with D-76 was roughly 75).

The fogging means that if anything, the effective ISO of the film goes down as the film sits. Base + Fog is the term used to determine how much fogging happened due to radiation over time, at least in the darkroom with contact sheets.