Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Quick question about ME Super

I know nothing (or very little) about film photography but am considering learning more and have an opportunity to pick up an ME Super for $20 (including an M50mm and a Sunpak 140 flash)... Of course I've seen them like crazy on the used market, but is it considered a decent film body compared to other popular k-mount film bodies, or should I get something else? I am going to be buying an FA31 soon, so this is part of why my interest is growing a bit....

I actually have a Honeywell M42 body my dad gave me quite a while ago now but have not yet tried to use it.. I took a look at it and it intimidated me! lol

Thanks!
Todd

03-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME super is well-regarded as it lets you control the shutter speed manually, unlike the original ME, yet still offers Av mode. I'd go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yes go for it!! Its a great little camera, small enough to slip into your pocket. If the M50 is the f/1.7 then its a fantastic bargain. Even if its the f/2 its still a great buy.
03-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! Hoping the seller follows up with me..

03-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any tips on what film to afford-ably purchase and where to get it afford-ably developed would be greatly appreciated, as well as any good tutorials/tips/links for loading film and things to look out for etc.. I will of course use the search function when the time comes, so if the forum is full of this stuff, please don't bother..

Thanks again!
03-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used two ME Supers for a number of years (one was my back up, which I never needed). They are great cameras!
03-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The ME Super is a fine camera, only lacking DOF preview. At $20 you can't go wrong! Score the winder for it and you have a fine street camera; to my hand the winder adds just enough mass and a handy grip to make the tiny camera an ideal fit.

After you experience the ME's viewfinder, or that of the MX or that of the Mighty LX you'll sneer at the general run of DSLR viewfinders. It is a huge picture window....

Film and affordable processing is another thing entirely. BW is easily done at home, color negative film not so easy. In the Atlanta area local color processing is disappearing. BW? forget about it, except for custom labs, maybe. I scan in my negatives and have color prints made from the digital files at CVS or whatever. In California you should have a wider range of possibilites.

Go to -- ORPHAN CAMERAS for downloadable instruction manuals, and send the site master, Mike Butkus, a little contribution for his wonderful work.

03-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Agreed as posted above, I usually develop my casual film at Walgreens.

My favorite thing to do after buying a new camera (film or digital) is read the manual while waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Here's another place to find the ME Super manual: http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/MESuper.pdf, this will should show how to load the film properly.
03-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Awesome thanks!
03-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to offer suggestions for film. Try Freestyle Photographic Supplies - Traditional Black & White Film, Paper, Chemicals, Holgas and ULF. They are mailorder and very reliable. Their selection is about as good as you're likely to find.
03-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Don't disregard that Spotmatic, either (at least that's what I suppose that is).
03-31-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
For $20 don't even ask just get it quick.
03-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

+1 its just ridiculous! When you pick it up and realize how small it is, you will understand.

Small SLR's are cool! And this has to be one of the smallest!

As for lack of DOF preview, there is one, just partially eject the lens, turning it to the right and it stops down if you need DOF preview

ME Supers are great! :P
03-31-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The ME Super was my first proper camera. I used it until I literally wore the shutter out. It is a great buy.

K.
04-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #15

For Color Film and processing, Walgreens, and WalMart are quick, cheap, and easy. I usually use the local Walgreens for processing, because I can ge in and out in a couple of minutes. Take me longer to walk across the parking lot a WalMart, because it is usually packed.

B&W, home processing is the ticket here. You can even develop the film in coffee! (Search Caffenol developers if you are interested.)