Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 04:08 AM   #1

Trigger lock stuck on Pentax MX

Hi everyone,

I have a Pentax MX where the trigger lock (the small twist collar around the trigger) doesn't seem to work properly.
The trouble is that after pressing the trigger and engaging the lock again, it is not really locked, the trigger still can be pressed down (and the camera will fire). Also of course it's bad because this can drain the light meter battery if the camera is packaged up and the trigger happens to be pressed by something for a longer time..
I can get the lock to engage again by flicking the film transport lever into "light metering" position, pressing the trigger lightly a few times etc...

I suppose some spring beneath the trigger button (that pushes it upwards) has become tired or loose? But I'd like some opinions first on how hard this is to fix and how to approach this best before actually doing something... The camera is in very nice condition and works flawlessly otherwise so I'd try not to mess it up by jumping to a repair to early.. I have good micro-mechanical skills but not familiar with the MXes so far... Any suggestions and pointers on how to approach this repair are very much welcome.

berferd.

04-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
If you look in the release buttons threaded hole... just at the end of the threads is a brass push stem. This is what interacts with the lock and the actual release mechanism. If the hole is deeper than the threads, that may mean the stem is out of place or missing and would be the reason for the lock failure.
04-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
just compared with my other functional MX, seems OK to me.. Guess I will need to disassemble it for getting any further
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be careful. There's a little spring-loaded ball bearing under there.