Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35mm newbie, Question about ME Super film loading

Hi, I'm just starting my adventure into film photography, and have just loaded my first film in the ME Super. I thought I had done it correctly after watching a video and reading the manual, however in another video I watched after a guy mentioned that the 'film advance/rewind indicator' should show as white if loaded correctly. Mine Is displayed as red and black, so I'm wondering if I've done it incorrectly. I didn't see this mentioned in the manual or in any other videos so I'm just curious. Apologies for any stupid questions, I'm completely new to film.

04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
Mine Is displayed as red and black
What you will want to do is watch that window when you advance to the next frame, you will notice the lines move back & forth indicating that the film is moving through the camera. If the lines stay stationary as you advance to the next frame, you mis-loaded the film.
04-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

AS above, red/black is all ok as long as they wiggle when winding.

I tend to click off 1-2 frames with the back open to make sure it's wound on properly. (my theory being I'm happy to waste 1-2 frames rather than have it not wind on and waste a whole roll)
04-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

You can also just watch the rewind crank. If it turns when you wind, then the film is loaded correctly and film is being pulled out of the film cartridge.

04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
You can also just watch the rewind crank. If it turns when you wind, then the film is loaded correctly and film is being pulled out of the film cartridge.
True, but I've found it often doesn't do that until you've taken enough shots to take up the slack inside the film canister.

I tend to wind the rewind crank back slightly (without the button pressed) after loading to take up any slack.
04-16-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much for all the replies. Good to know!
04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In the ME Super you can load film by inserting the tongue on the receiving spool needles and then pull the canister towards the rewind crank.
It almost never fails and with practice gives you 1-2 more frames per roll.

Also on the camera body close to the wind crank there is a small window with orange/black lines. If those move when you wind the film is well loaded

I do not know if you have a manual, you can download it here
04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Its good that the ME has that advance window indicator. I once grabbed my LX, noted the film box end holder said C-41 24 exp and squeezed off many memorable shots, marvelling at the smooth film advance of the mighty LX. When the counter said 35 exp I knew there was a problem! I'll bet a lot of us have done something similar.

04-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by captainbert Quote
Hi, I'm just starting my adventure into film photography, and have just loaded my first film in the ME Super. I thought I had done it correctly after watching a video and reading the manual, however in another video I watched after a guy mentioned that the 'film advance/rewind indicator' should show as white if loaded correctly. Mine Is displayed as red and black,
Lesson to learn: Never listen to wiseguys telling you how your equipment works. They usually don't have a clue.

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Its good that the ME has that advance window indicator. I once grabbed my LX, noted the film box end holder said C-41 24 exp and squeezed off many memorable shots, marvelling at the smooth film advance of the mighty LX. When the counter said 35 exp I knew there was a problem! I'll bet a lot of us have done something similar.
Been there, done that. Only my camera picked up the film somewhere along the series of shots I took, so I got about 40 clicks on one 24 exp film.