Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

K1000 focusing with Spilt-image, possible ?

Hello Everybody,

I have finally got my Pentax k1000 I used it few times..Still trying to the the hang of the focusing screen..I really like the split-image focusing system...and I'm still a beginner. Please don't get all mad/angry at me.

So my questions are:

Is it possible to get spilt-image on the normal Pentax k1000?
If I could find a broken K1000 SE, could I change it; put it onto my K1000?
Is there any site I could buy a split-image for K1000?
Is it possible to buy a split-image to the closest size and trim it to fit on the k1000?

I saw some on ebay that says for K100D K110D K200D K2000. Would those fix for K1000?
Diagonal Split Image Focus Screen Pentax K2000 K M DL | eBay

I apologize for some of the noob questions I asked here. I'm just trying to learn and improve =]

04-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The focusing screen is not something that is easily changed on a K1000. It is something that would have to be done by a camera repair shop. If you were in the US I would recommend Eric Hendrickson, I have no idea where you could get it done in Australia...

The screens for digital SLRs are of no use to you. Those screens are cut for a smaller viewfinder.
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The most cost effective thing is probably to just buy a different camera.

You can pick up an ME Super for about $50 if you watch ebay, the ME super allows the use of full manual. (the normal ME does not)

There's countless other K mount bodies that sell for around the same price, just do some research which ones have the screen and manual modes. (I just recommended the ME super since they're easy to find and fill both requirements)
04-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I doubt that there is anything special about the K1000 screens, they are probably the same as the KX and KM since they are all the same base body with different features. Unfortunately you can't change them yourself like you can on an MX or LX. If you live in Melbourne I can recommend John at Shutterbox in Toorak Rd, Camberwell. He is a Pentax trained repair man and has done a number of repair jobs for me (6x7, LX, K5 and a few lenses).

04-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Paul,

Do you remember what a ballpark figure was for him to repair a lens?

I've got an A70-210 that doesn't infinity focus. (It's just an alignment thing, but for the life of me I can't get it right)
04-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Minimum charge was about $80 I think, but otherwise it really depends on how long it takes and whether any parts are required.
04-18-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the easiest way is to find K 1000 SE the brown leatherette one.

it have split focusing screen

04-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

Hi,

If you are in Brisbane try f16 at Margate. Just Google f16 and you will find his web page.

Regards.

04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
The most cost effective thing is probably to just buy a different camera.

You can pick up an ME Super for about $50 if you watch ebay, the ME super allows the use of full manual. (the normal ME does not)

There's countless other K mount bodies that sell for around the same price, just do some research which ones have the screen and manual modes. (I just recommended the ME super since they're easy to find and fill both requirements)

Maybe in the future I'll have a look at the ME Super. I just got my K1000 and only finished 2 film rolls. I will use it and practise more on it before I switch to another camera. I guess it will be something for me to get used to with the focusing system Thanks =]
04-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
I doubt that there is anything special about the K1000 screens, they are probably the same as the KX and KM since they are all the same base body with different features. Unfortunately you can't change them yourself like you can on an MX or LX. If you live in Melbourne I can recommend John at Shutterbox in Toorak Rd, Camberwell. He is a Pentax trained repair man and has done a number of repair jobs for me (6x7, LX, K5 and a few lenses).
Thanks Paul!

I don't want to spend too much atm, I'll just have to practise more with the normal focusing system than the split-screen not a problem.
I'm a pentax noob...all this KM KX are making me confused but I googled it; they're DSLR XD. I live in Sydney...Probably was planing to drive up to Melb with mate for uni work XD. Thanks a lot thought Paul. I'll keep that in my note and may visit Shutterbox Thanks =]
04-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

I should have done more research..but I got mine from Gumtree for $70. It was a bargain!
$70 for:
- Asahi Pentax K1000
- 50mm f2
- 28mm f2.8(There is a din on the len ring..can't put on any filters.. cause of the massive din)
- Vivitar 75 - 205mm (There are mold in the lens..but I wouldn't be using that lens and I could open it up and clean it.)
- Original bag for the camera
- A Londa Flash - AP808
- 3 filters. +1, +2 and the filter that when you turn it; it lower the brightness of the sunlight or monitor screen thing...

If any of my friends wants a SLR. I will tell them the SE if they could get one.. I didn't want to get one from eBay.. I never bought anything from there before..But Thanks :] I will do extra research next time XD
04-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #12

Original Poster
I guess I can't really change my focusing system on my K1000 to the split-image but to get a professional Pentax trained and also if they have the split-image focusing system too..?
04-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a split-prism K1000, I think you just have to keep your eyes open. I have two, both later models. One Chinese, and one from HK. If you include the K1000 SE, by waiting and seeing what comes you can get any of the three combos of focusing aids you want. Just check out the K1000 database if your not sure. I think focus screen style is listed there.
04-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simian Summit Quote
If you want a split-prism K1000, I think you just have to keep your eyes open. I have two, both later models. One Chinese, and one from HK. If you include the K1000 SE, by waiting and seeing what comes you can get any of the three combos of focusing aids you want. Just check out the K1000 database if your not sure. I think focus screen style is listed there.
how do I get to the k1000 database ?