Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Filters for B&W Film

I like to use the red filter when using DxO filmpack software, it really adds nice contrast. I have read that yellow is a good filter to use with real B&W film? What are your guys opinion?

04-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
red, yellow, blue and green are the most common used filters with B&W film (some also use orange). There are ofcourse also the ND gradual ND and polirizers which works well,

But yellow is good yes, it is not as dramatic as red or orange, but still boosts the contrast
04-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
It was always the red and orange I tended to use the most, back in my film days.

Remember to get decent quality filters, don't put cheap glass in front of good lenses was my motto.
05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
B+W Black White Filter
Some brief explanation about the effect that every Black White Filter have on bw photo.

05-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a school of thought that most panchromatic films generally benefit from a yellow filter. The theory is that most films are relatively more sensitive to the blue end of the spectrum than to the red end and the yellow filter helps reduce the contribution from the blue light.

As for my bag. I don't own blue or green filters, but I do use yellow (Y2), red (Wratten #24), and minus-blue (Wratten #12).

Steve