Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #1

Tv K mount

Hello all,

I have been toying with film photography for the past half year and enjoy it so much that I now do all serious b&w work on film. I currently own a DA 40 XS and would love to pair it to a roll of HP5+, however I am not able to do this with my P30t. I would like to acquire a Super A but after seeing several sell on eBay for triple figures I realise, due to my budget, I may have to consider another SLR that uses the renowned K mount and also offers shutter priority auto exposure.

All recommendations are welcome.
Thank you for your time,
Jay

04-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Manual Quote
Hello all,

I have been toying with film photography for the past half year and enjoy it so much that I now do all serious b&w work on film. I currently own a DA 40 XS and would love to pair it to a roll of HP5+, however I am not able to do this with my P30t. I would like to acquire a Super A but after seeing several sell on eBay for triple figures I realise, due to my budget, I may have to consider another SLR that uses the renowned K mount and also offers shutter priority auto exposure.

All recommendations are welcome.
Thank you for your time,
Jay
You should be able to get the super A for a lot less than $100- I got one in literally perfect condition for $70 recently, and if you get one that isn't, you'll probably be looking at $40-60.

The PZ-1 is another good camera, but it's more expensive. It would probably be cheaper for you to pick up a K1000 + 50mm F2 kit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

You could try the Chinon CP-7m. I believe it's the most powerful manual focus k-mount ever. Although it doesn't have Tv, it has three program modes (typically action, normal and landscape). These three modes together with the exposure lock should give enough control for most situations. Automatic exposure works with Ricoh-P lenses as well. It's got other stuff as well like programmable interval timer. It should cost peanuts these days

I use the Super Program. While it is usable with DA lenses, it is rather fiddly in practice, especially when you need to turn the exposure compensation dial.
04-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your ready responses.
I have only been keeping an eye on Super As for the past 2-4 weeks so it could just be that I have to pay my virtues in patience before being given the opportunity to buy one at a reasonable price.

Adam,
One of the reasons - which I should have noted - that I was considering the Super A DA40xs combo was for the humble dimensions of both components. Small enough, say, to fit in the inside pocket of a Levi's denim jacket while straddling a motorcycle. I now see that there are many Pentax SLRs under the 'Autofocus SLR' category offering Tv but, to me, autofocus SLRs are pig ugly. I am by no means somebody who considers a camera a fashion accessory, but I would be willing to pay the extra $€ for a camera as handsome as a Super A.

weijen,
The same goes for the CP-7m. I doesn't look to be a pocketable camera - an interesting camera nonetheless. A quick look on eBay tells me I'd be able to get hold of one for 20 so, depending on the budget, it may yet be the answer as the UK today entered a triple dip recession -_-

Thanks again,
Jay

04-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

I know you're not looking for an AF body, but it's worthy to consider the MZ-5. It looks pretty sexy for an AF. In fact, it looks very old school with a shutter dial. Those PZ and SF bodies are really ugly, but the MZ are compact and looks great. I have an MZ-50, it's size is similar to the Super Program.

Cheers
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the 1980s I used a Super A along with an MX and I noticed that I had a lot more camera shake blur with the Super A pics. Apparently the mirror/shutter vibration was less well damped than in the MX. Another flaw was that the manual 1/125 was really only 1/100 because they could not manage to get a real 1/125 flash sync speed. Interestingly, the meter seemed to take that into account.
I agree that the MZ-5 – or better still, MZ-5n – would be a nice solution. Elegant and compact, and you get spot metering which is great for precise manual exposure.
05-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weijen Quote
I know you're not looking for an AF body, but it's worthy to consider the MZ-5. It looks pretty sexy for an AF. In fact, it looks very old school with a shutter dial. Those PZ and SF bodies are really ugly, but the MZ are compact and looks great. I have an MZ-50, it's size is similar to the Super Program.

Cheers
MZ-5(n) is not the best choice to use with DA-lenses, as it don't support Av- and M-mode on lenses without aperture ring.
MZ-6 - MZ-10 is probably the best choice in this series, as they support all types of lenses.

Last edited by Fogel70; 05-01-2013 at 12:26 AM.
05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Pentaxian

@Fogel70
QuoteQuote:
MZ-5(n) is not the best choice to use with DA-lenses, as it don't support Av- and M-mode on lenses without aperture ring.
That's correct, but the same applies for the Super A.

@wkraus
QuoteQuote:
In the 1980s I used a Super A along with an MX and I noticed that I had a lot more camera shake blur with the Super A pics.
(One) reason could be that the MX was the last Pentax with a textile shutter, from the ME (or ME Super?) on the shutter was metallic.

05-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
weijen,

I agree with you that the MZ-5 is one of the nicer looking autofocus SLRs, however not being able to fully utilise K and M glass would deter me from purchasing one. I also read that it has a pentamirror viewfinder. I understand it would be a much larger viewfinder than the one on my digital KX - which also has a pentamirror viewfinder - but possibly just as dull compared to a pentamirror design. Thank you for convincing me that not all autofocus SLRs are ugly nonetheless.

wkarus,

I have read elsewhere of mirror slap issues regarding the Super A. Is this noticeable with handheld shots above 1/60? If so, this is a real cause for concern. I use a dSLR for tripod assisted night photography so if the camera shake is only noticeable with long exposures then this won't be an issue for me. Thanks for the heads up on the 1/125 issue and the mention of the MZ-5n. From what I read this uses an uncrippled mount and also has a pentaprism viewfinder. Everything wrong with the MX-5 righted

Fogel70,

The MZ-6 and the MZ-10 are both good suggestions and surprisingly cheap. I see they both use a pentamirror design viewfinder. Do you have any experience with these cameras regarding the pentamirror viewfinder. Is it noticeably duller than the equivalent pentaprism?

RKKS08,

I understand that with the Super A I would have to set the aperture indirectly through setting the shutter speed but this doesn't bother me. Interesting information on the textile/metallic shutter. I had no idea of this. Does this mean that any 35mm SLR after the ME/ME super would experience the same mirror slap?

Thank you all for your in depth replies. You have certainly given me some food for thought.
Jay
05-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Manual Quote
weijen,

I agree with you that the MZ-5 is one of the nicer looking autofocus SLRs, however not being able to fully utilise K and M glass would deter me from purchasing one. I also read that it has a pentamirror viewfinder. I understand it would be a much larger viewfinder than the one on my digital KX - which also has a pentamirror viewfinder - but possibly just as dull compared to a pentamirror design. Thank you for convincing me that not all autofocus SLRs are ugly nonetheless.
The MZ-5(n) has a pentaprism finder. I used it along with a Z-1p (very fine camera) and did not notice much of a difference regarding the finder. I'm an all manual type and I had no issues with manual focusing on both. There are no restrictions of any kind with K and M lenses.

QuoteQuote:
I have read elsewhere of mirror slap issues regarding the Super A. Is this noticeable with handheld shots above 1/60? If so, this is a real cause for concern. I use a dSLR for tripod assisted night photography so if the camera shake is only noticeable with long exposures then this won't be an issue for me.
The mirror slap thing was clearly noticable at 1/125 and 1/250 (eg with a 200mm lens) handheld.

QuoteQuote:
I understand that with the Super A I would have to set the aperture indirectly through setting the shutter speed but this doesn't bother me. Interesting information on the textile/metallic shutter. I had no idea of this. Does this mean that any 35mm SLR after the ME/ME super would experience the same mirror slap?
No, definitely not. The Z-1p was much better and the much lighter MZ-5n too.