Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Velvia 100 vivid or wild colour

I am looking for a bit of advice about Velvia 100. I had never used it before and after scanning I got pictures like this.

I have heard Velvia colours are vivid but is this typical? I can easily adjust the colours while scanning but if I am shooting Velvia I want it to look like Velvia.

Any pointers would be welcome as a few of us on the Single in Challenge are scratching our heads.

Patrick

An unprocessed DA15 shot of the same scene

05-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the film colors, I think your DA15 is off...not! Sorry, no idea. I would ask if the film was expired or not.
05-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Just to be sure, is this what the slide looks like when viewing it on a color balanced light box? Just trying to eliminate the scanner from the equation.
05-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Pentaxian

No that magenta /red shift is not "normal" for velvia. If the film has been stored incorrectly, or if it is expired or the chemistry* used to develop it isn't reasonably fresh there are going to be problems. Sadly, there aren't many E6 transparency labs left out there.

*it is possible however unlikely that the film was accidentally cross processed - this nearly always causes some pretty weird colour shifts from film. Cross processing is commonly done by processing E6(transparency) film in C41(negative) chemistry - though you can go the other way around, the effect isn't quite as pronounced.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-02-2013 at 06:19 AM.
05-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for help. I think it looks like a scanning error on my part rather than a lab error. The film was not expired either.
I never thought to use a light box. I don't have one but using my computer screen I don't see such an extreme red shift.

Last edited by patjp; 05-02-2013 at 06:35 AM. Reason: spelling error
05-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patjp Quote
I never thought to use a light box. I don't have one but using my computer screen I don't see such an extreme red shift.
well there you go...just hope your monitor is set to D65....
05-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Distinct advantage of slides is you can visually confirm the colors.
05-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No that magenta /red shift is not "normal" for velvia. If the film has been stored incorrectly, or if it is expired or the chemistry* used to develop it isn't reasonably fresh there are going to be problems. Sadly, there aren't many E6 transparency labs left out there.

*it is possible however unlikely that the film was accidentally cross processed - this nearly always causes some pretty weird colour shifts from film. Cross processing is commonly done by processing E6(transparency) film in C41(negative) chemistry - though you can go the other way around, the effect isn't quite as pronounced.
The E6 itself also has two separate developers...if they up the time or temperature on them you can get some quite weird results. Know from own experience....have had some rolls come out green or pinkish or something like that.

05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I am looking for a bit of advice about Velvia 100. I had never used it before and after scanning I got pictures like this.

I have heard Velvia colours are vivid but is this typical? I can easily adjust the colours while scanning but if I am shooting Velvia I want it to look like Velvia.

Any pointers would be welcome as a few of us on the Single in Challenge are scratching our heads.

Patrick

An unprocessed DA15 shot of the same scene

So...what does the slide look like? Tune the scanner to match the slide.

That being said, Velvia is known for over-the-top color rendition. Sometimes this works (think red rock areas of the American Southwest) and sometimes it doesn't (most weddings).

Steve
05-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Thanks for help. I think it looks like a scanning error on my part rather than a lab error. The film was not expired either.
That’s the reason I mostly shoot slide film as I can view the finished images on my light table with a photo lupe.

Getting scanned images to look like the original slide is another issue.

Phil.
05-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #11

My experience with Velvia is when it first came out, but I found it to be very vivid colors, not like you experienced.
05-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
That’s the reason I mostly shoot slide film as I can view the finished images on my light table with a photo lupe.
After a month of shooting Velvia and Provia I now only want to shoot slide film. The negatives look so wonderful.
05-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Velvia 100 favors the red end of the spectrum but not as much as is seen with your shot above. My shots of the Grand Canyon were ruined by it. Beige rocks were turned reddish. It looked surreal. However my Colorado shots with red flowers and green mountains looked great. Velvia 100f and 50 look very different from the 100. You really have to be careful where you use the V100.