Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It looks like you could put an eye out with the viewfinder hump on the F...

05-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
I can remember standing in the press box at a Kansas City Royals game in the mid 1980s with my two MX's with winders (who could have afforded the real motor drives for those things?). I had discovered this interesting effect where, if you held down on the camera's shutter release while also depressing the winder's release button, the winder clicked along extremely fast (though not really advancing the film, of course) and made it sound like I was shooting something in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 frames per second. Man I got some attention from the Nikon guys from that! They looked at one another and at me and then asked, "What are you shooting with?" I'd say smugly, "Ilford HP-5." (LOL) They'd say, "No -- what camera?" Just as smugly as before, I'd say, "A Pentax MX." Having no idea what that was, they'd look at one another and nod and say approvingly, "Cool!"
Hey, if you had looked down the 1st base line behind the Royals' dugout you might have seen me with my dad! There was no ball game more special than when the Yankees were in town during the early to mid-'80s. Fingers crossed for this season.
05-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alvermann Quote
First of all, please don't get me wrong since I've been shooting Pentax for over 15 years and nothing would alter my devotion... However, let me tell you that in more than one ocassion when talking with other film and digital shooters, I've had the impression that when they meet a new Pentax guy, they loose their tongue as if they were saying: And tell me, why are you a Pentax guy? a) Because you couldn't afford Nikon or... b) Because you wanted to be different, and not becoming another anonymous Canon guy?
Short answer is: I just love Pentax, but could you give me some tips to defend more properly my preference?
Well, I guess it's a silly point, but I just wanted to share it with the community.

This may not be a case of "defending" the use of Pentax at all. It could very well be that the other camera brand user may not at all be aware of just what the Pentax can deliver just as much as you may not be aware of the other brands.

The short answer is obviously a fine one and you don't need to elaborate more than that.
Nothing wrong about being different. Being different can mean you prefer the Pentax ergonomics, styling, weight or just the combination that makes it so. BTW, the original Asahi Pentax configuration was the prototype that all other brands evolved to. -> Pentax Original
Not being able to afford a Nikon does not mean that being able to afford it would would deliver better results.

For instance I bought very cheap, a used Pentax M 50mm F4 macro lens and tested it as follows:
  • In the test results below, I used a 4 wide by 4 high arrangement of ISO12233 res charts shown in the bottom left. I then cropped and provided 100% of the center portions using very low compression. All results are therefore multiplied by 4.
  • Second image up is the crop from my 14.6MP K20D + manual focus Pentax M 50mm F4 macro lens + Pentax auto bellows from the full frame shot of 35mm Kodak Techpan shot at ISO 25 and processed in Technidol.
  • Third image up is the crop from my 14.6MP K20D + manual focus Pentax M 50mm F4 macro lens shot of the 4 X 4 chart arrangement. It is pretty much the same as DPREVIEW K20D resolution results of about 2400LPH. Testing of all my Pentax lenses maxes out the K20D's sensor.
  • Fourth image up is the Coolscan 9000 scan of the center portion of the shot made on 35mm Kodak Techpan shot at ISO 25 and processed in Technidol using the Pentax LX + the same Pentax M 50mm F4 macro lens. As you can see, it clearly resolves much more than the 14.6MP K20D sensor. However there are two different resolutions - Vertical of 4000LPH and Horizontal of 3200LPH. For comparison, a 24.6MP Sony A900 is rated at 3700LPH.
  • The image on the right is a 4.5 optical magnification of the center portion of the full frame shot of 35mm Kodak Techpan shot at ISO 25 and processed in Technidol using my K20D and Pentax autobellows. This is 12.5 X 4 = 5000LPH. By comparison, the 36.3MP Nikon D800 tops the reschart at 3800LPH. The unfiltered D800E surpasses the 4000LPH chart used so we can't say where it reaches but certainly not close to 5000LPH.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/1F7747A69031070/orig.jpg

As you can see, long before Nikon conceived a 36MP DSLR Pentax was already already designing lenses to exceed them.

BTW, I am not saying this is as good as this lens can get. I bought it used and perhaps a factory fresh lens would deliver better . . .
05-10-2013, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

I started shooting the K mount in the late '80s, first with a K mount clone (branded "Miranda MS2 Super"!) before getting a Super-A and building from there. In the '90s I tried Canon (EOS 5, grip & 28-135 IS lens - I even preferred the 50/1.8 in the end) which was an expensive disaster, the lens broke, the camera broke and it just didn't suit me (I could never find the right button/control).

For me the real reasons are continuity & compatibility - a camera is just a tool, but if it takes all my old lenses it becomes a much more versatile tool, especially if it enhances those lenses (SR) instead of having to swap them all for IS/VR versions. MF lenses work on AF bodies and vice versa, screw mount lenses work on the latest digital bodies, the (20yr old ish) IR remote control from my Zoom 90 WR P&S works on my K-5 (and probably my MX-1).

The other reason is the ergonomics - maybe I'm 'programmed' into the Pentax way, but nothing even comes close. HyperProgram & HyperManual are simply sublime exposure modes. Until I bought the K-5, the previous camera I'd bought was my Z-1 - the K-5 works in exactly the same way (OK swap the 'IF' button for the green button being the only real change). I found the same with the MX-1 - it feels like my SLR when I using it. I sussed the photographic side of the K-5 out in a minute flat without any previous knowledge (even TAV mode made sense without having to think too much about it).

Super-Tak & SMC-Tak lenses seem to be the preferred optics of many Canon shooters, it doesn't say a lot for their current lens line-up if people are prepared to pay (frankly over the top prices) for 40+yr old manual focus optics (and then rave about them).

John.

05-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Because of this - Why Did I Choose Pentax K-x Over Canon 500D And Nikon D3100? - RonakG.com

An article I wrote 2 years ago but most points still hold true.
05-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #36
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Super-Tak & SMC-Tak lenses seem to be the preferred optics of many Canon shooters, it doesn't say a lot for their current lens line-up if people are prepared to pay (frankly over the top prices) for 40+yr old manual focus optics (and then rave about them).
Oh man -- isn't that the truth!
05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Pentax more for the Asahi history and the incredible innovation they brought to the 1950s and 60s. I bought an H1a in 1965 or 66 when I began processing and printing a lot (to the detriment of class work) in college, and loved the feel of the camera and lenses as much as the results. Then, wanting a TTL metered camera I switched to the new Canon FT instead of a Spotmatic, and while it gave great results it never had the "feel" of the Pentax, and made an annoying musical "ping" with each shot. Leaving college I switched to Leica rangefinders and Leicaflex, but when Pentax came out with the MX I was again impressed by the feel, results, and especially the price; and added the MX and lenses as my everyday carry-around camera; and followed than with an LX when it came out. After that, cameras went "fluff" with automatic features and fast-evolving models that I hated, and I went back to manual Leicas.
Digital cameras never felt like real cameras until the Leica M9 came out, and while that is still my main digital camera I added a Pentax K-5 hoping it would still have the Pentax feel, and let me use my old SMC-M lenses to full advantage. I still like the feel and the K-5 results, but even with a new focusing screen the APS-C finder is too small and dim for my old eyes.
Pentax is a different company, still with good ideas, but we'll see where they go from here.

05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #38

Proud of Pentax...don't know about that, but certainly pleased they are still putting out a quality product.

I bought a K-1000 just because it was the most inexpensive, quality camera of its time (in my then 12 year old opinion - Consumer Reports said so! ).

When I decided last year to move to a DSLR because of an upcoming UK trip, Pentax was top of the list because I could use my old lenses in this new camera.

I live in a primarily rainy place. After hearing it was weather resistant, I was sold. So I started saving like I was 12 again until I had the cash to purchase the K30. Could have easily purchased it on credit, but thought it only fitting...

The icing on the cake? My buddy, after hearing I was getting a K30, said "My dad's old Pentax equipment is there, you want it?" His dad was like a 2nd dad to me. He was the one who mentored me in my early 20's, keeping me interested in photography when there were so many other diversions in life.
05-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That design consideration of sensible size without sacrificing anything in terms of build quality, functionality and good looks has been there since the beginning . . .
Wow! I must say.. The AP is nice! And the Nikon F also looks swell. Uh, this is GearP0rn.
05-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #40

For the Limited series
05-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #41
Pentaxian

When you look up and down the lineup, Pentax has consistently provided much larger viewfinder magnification compared to all the others, as well as bright screens. Of course they started this with the original Asahi Pentax with their life-size view on a Fresnel-lens brightened ground glass. This is just ideal for me!

05-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was gifted this last weekend with a bit of vintage Minolta kit:
  • SRT 101 (excellent condition)
  • SRT 102 (rough condition)
  • MC Rokkor 58/1.4
  • MC Rokkor 50/1.4
  • MC Rokkor 35/2.8
  • Rokkor (MD?) 70-200 zoom
Both bodies are fully functional except for needing new foams. The SRT 101 was probably made in late 1969 and has the first generation all-metal 58/1.4. Last night I did a direct comparison of build, handling, and general "camera experience" to my Spotmatic, Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL, and Ricoh Singlex TLS of the same vintage. Dang that was tough! Yes, the Minolta is heavier, but it was a very close second to the Spotmatic for all-round goodness in this grouping and gets extra points for supporting full open-aperture metering. I guess that makes sense given that the choices for a pro-level SLR at the time came down to a relatively few number of models. There are several online articles where the authors share their experience of choosing between the SRT and the Spotmatic.

(FWIW, I like all of the above, though for different reasons...)

Steve
05-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ivor Matanle wrote in his SLR book that he found the Minolta to be best for his spectacles and eyesight, and the lenses good enough. My own impression of Minoltas of that vintage is that the 'artistic' tended to pick Minolta. It is a different experience than Pentax; the lenses are much larger... but what did Ivor say about Nikon? Striking pictures with a blunt instrument
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
he found the Minolta to be best for his spectacles and eyesight
You know...he has a point. I usually don't shoot with my glasses on, but the SRT 101 does have much better viewfinder relief than the Spotmatic.

Steve
05-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #45

Never used any other!

I'm am most certainly an amateur. After saying that, what I love about Pentax is their consistency. That works for me because I'm very loyal when something or someone continues to produce great pictures. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.........