Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
...could you give me some tips to defend more properly my preference?
I don't see why you need to defend it at all, but here's what I'd say:

"I'm happy with it. Why does it matter to you?"

05-03-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has a good beat and I can dance to it.
05-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And middle aged men with Harleys.
Harley? Gack!

I'd ride anything else but an H-D! (Currently on a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom)

Maybe I'm a masochist. I've been shooting Pentax since 1968 (when I bought my Spotmatic).

Maybe I'm a masochist - I've been driving Land Rovers since 1965 (and my 5 of my own since 1993 - I think it's 5. Lemme see, 3 Range Rovers, one Discovery, and a Series IIA [not necessarily in that order] - yep, 5). I get lots of flak over not owning a Toyota Land Cruiser or Nissan Patrol (I have owned one Cruiser - test drove another with a view to replacing my previous Rangie. Pfft. Not on -- what an awful car to drive. I bought another Rangie.)
05-03-2013, 06:20 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Is it me or do all Nikons look like toys. Canons sound like Tinker Bell making out with a mirror.

05-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Harley? Gack!

I'd ride anything else but an H-D! (Currently on a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom)
My uncle rides a Triumph, my cousin a Honda.

But for most middle age men in the US the dream is a Harley and all the matching over priced clothes to go with it.
05-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

BTW, the F100 is larger and heavier than any Pentax 35mm or APS-C digital, and even more so if you add the grip. No doubt it is smooth and flexible and has better metering/flash support than the average camera... but damn it is big. Pentax has always been a ballerina instead of a lineman, and I know I'd have much more fun with a ballerina

I've been thinking of cameras in terms of fashion as well... Pentax is a '60s model who since has gone into a successful career in model agency. Olympus was the It Girl of the 70s who got into troubles with eating disorders and drugs, but has made a comeback going back to her petite roots. Nikon is Vogue, or Louis Vuitton, conservative yet cautiously innovative. Canon is Anna Nicole Smith + the Kardashians + every other glitzy for-the-moment house that courts the paparazzi at every opportunity. Leica is to the right of Nikon, an exclusive old money brand... Sony, what the heck is Sony? Thrice married Lily van der Woodsen née Rhodes; previously van der Woodsen, Humphrey and Bass...
05-03-2013, 06:57 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dshombert Quote
I don't see why you need to defend it at all, but here's what I'd say:

"I'm happy with it. Why does it matter to you?"
I agree with dshombert.

I learned proper photography using Pentax equipment (35 years ago). I went to school and got a degree in photojournalism. I was surrounded by Nikon users (Canon had barely penetrated the photojournalism world at that point). There was no way I could afford to switch to Nikon at the time. The funny thing is, the Nikon shooters all treated me just fine, though they were a little curious why I was shooting with small-ish lenses mounted on a tiny camera (MX). They certainly weren't judgmental or anything -- just curious.

But I was still intimidated, especially at sports events.

I can remember standing in the press box at a Kansas City Royals game in the mid 1980s with my two MX's with winders (who could have afforded the real motor drives for those things?). I had discovered this interesting effect where, if you held down on the camera's shutter release while also depressing the winder's release button, the winder clicked along extremely fast (though not really advancing the film, of course) and made it sound like I was shooting something in the neighborhood of 7 or 8 frames per second. Man I got some attention from the Nikon guys from that! They looked at one another and at me and then asked, "What are you shooting with?" I'd say smugly, "Ilford HP-5." (LOL) They'd say, "No -- what camera?" Just as smugly as before, I'd say, "A Pentax MX." Having no idea what that was, they'd look at one another and nod and say approvingly, "Cool!"

At one point along the way, I won an award for a hard-news picture and took the cash I received from that and used it (along with a trade-in of all my Pentax gear) to buy a Nikon FM-2n body and motor drive and a couple of lenses. I steadily built up my array of Nikon lenses; I was no longer the guy with the odd camera brand. But that's when I discovered something else -- the camera brand didn't matter. My pictures didn't improve. I was no better at all for having switched to Nikon (except for the NPS membership, which was nice).

In fact, only within the last couple of years have I discovered the fact that the best images I had in all my photojournalism years were actually taken with Pentax equipment. Sometimes it is subtle, sometimes not, but I can frequently see the very clear superiority of Pentax glass over Nikon glass in many of my images. That discovery was enough to make me decide to sell off all my Nikon equipment and return to the Pentax fold.

It's been a great life lesson, though not a cheap one.

05-03-2013, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

My connection with Pentax gear began in the early 70s. At that time, and through to the late 1980s, Pentax lenses were among the best, and in my experience were not equaled by Nikon or Canon in the realm of flare control and colour rendition. My first photographic job was as as a photographer/darkroom technician at a newspaper. I printed a lot of stuff shot with Nikon and Canon gear as well as my Pentax, and there was a noticeable difference.

Pentax continues to produce some excellent lenses, but other brands have come a long way.

For 20 years I worked in a salaried photographic job where equipment was paid for by the employer. I inherited Nikon gear and saw no justification for changing brands, although I did use my personal Pentax lenses for some critical work during the early years. This became unnecessary after the first-generation Nikon AF lenses came out.

I used Pentax gear for my personal work because I liked the lenses and it avoided any appearance of conflict in terms of using my employer's equipment for personal use. I was in a fairly high-visibility position.

I continue to use Pentax gear because I have a very good set of lenses. It is rather amusing to find gearheads unable to say anything when, after they admire my rather large, very sharp prints they learn that the images were made with my less than state-of-the-art, old Pentax lenses.

I must say that if I had to start from scratch, I would not choose Pentax as a professional system. This is due to a lack of support for professional users as well as the goofy flash system more than anything else.

However, I am happy with what I am able to do with what I have. In semi-retirement I'm producing "fine art" work and selling in galleries. No problem producing high-quality results with my K20.

There is also the pleasure of messing with old Pentax film cameras and lenses. I do this more as a nostalgia thing and as a collector, although I still regularlly produce gallery-worthy images with the old stuff.
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by alvermann Quote
could you give me some tips to defend more properly my preference
Pentax gives me the images that I need... I then get paid, then I can eat.

Kinda says it all for me.
05-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Wherefor you need to give a explanation that you own/use a Pentax?
Who cares what somebody else thinks about the brand camera you use?

I'm not for sure!
05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Or because I feel more embarrassed walking around with a Nikon F100.
That is pretty embarrassing. Perhaps you could take your Kiev along for street cred?

Steve
05-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I've been driving Land Rovers since 1965
You ARE a masochist...
05-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is pretty embarrassing. Perhaps you could take your Kiev along for street cred?

Steve
LOL, there's something about really vintage looking cameras that overcomes embarrassment. I'll get over it.

But meanwhile, to illustrate differences (yes, this is apples and oranges... but, arguably the Pentax in real life gets pictures as well as the Nikon, and is smaller and much lighter)

05-04-2013, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That design consideration of sensible size without sacrificing anything in terms of build quality, functionality and good looks has been there since the beginning . . .

. . . and continued on . . .

05-04-2013, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mods, please move. The prior post belongs in the Camera pRon thread.