Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #1

Why are we proud of Pentax?

First of all, please don't get me wrong since I've been shooting Pentax for over 15 years and nothing would alter my devotion... However, let me tell you that in more than one ocassion when talking with other film and digital shooters, I've had the impression that when they meet a new Pentax guy, they loose their tongue as if they were saying: And tell me, why are you a Pentax guy? a) Because you couldn't afford Nikon or... b) Because you wanted to be different, and not becoming another anonymous Canon guy?
Short answer is: I just love Pentax, but could you give me some tips to defend more properly my preference?
Well, I guess it's a silly point, but I just wanted to share it with the community.

05-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Next time just say 'because reasons'.
05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Because Pentax provides a high-quality, compact, well-designed system that is focused on the photographer, which results in cameras that have amazing handling and awesome image quality at a price point that I can afford.

TBH, Canon has been tempting me as of late (the thought of a 5D3 with a 135L mounted still haunts my dreams), but it would require that I jump to something that is nowhere near as affordable or compact
05-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IS/VR (we call it SR or shake reduction) with every single lens, new and old.

05-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few:
- it takes double A batteries and I hate proprietary ones
- Pentax? Oh they make medium format pro cameras, 10,000 dollars or so. This is just their little model, you`ve probably never heard of them.
- I like the small size, you pay more of course, but good engineering is expensive.
- yeah, I almost bought a Canon then I found Pentax. They are hard to find outside of Japan but worth it though.
- Well they are the only ones to make lenses in the correct focal lengths, rather than just rounding things off. Their 21mm is amazing and the 31 and 77mm are just perfect
05-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I don't like how cheap Canons feel in my hand. I actually looked at the T2i before I got the K-x and it just didn't feel right. And I also wanted the white K-x but it costed more than I was willing to pay just for a different color.

Also, people who don't know much about photography just think I have a really expensive camera because they have never heard of Pentax before.
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Who wants to be the same as everyone else? 13 year old girls, that's who.

05-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Because I like the way Pentax was pioneering in the film times, I love the beautiful design, robustness and how sturdy their products are, because i love my Z1p (have two bodies) and my recently acquired MZ-S (feels even more neat than the former ones), I like their lenses and the way they have respected their customers by sticking to the faithful K mount for so long, I like the idea of in-body shake reduction which just works!, and I love the weather sealing they add to most of their recent products. Looks like we all could go one with similar list.
05-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #9

Because the K-7, K-5 and limited lenses are the right combination of geekiness and elegance. Hyperprogram, buttonlayout (you can keep them on your eye) and responsiveness (tried a Nikon D600 and surprisingly experienced slugishness) make them a very powerfull reportage setup. Everything else is just a computer. The K-01 was also very nice, especially for those who can recognize design even whithout Apple written on it.
05-03-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

WR APS-c body and lenses, the limiteds and SR for old glass. And there is ruggedness, compactness and ergonomics.

But, as a mechanic, I avoid these discussions. It`s a tool that suits my needs, feels right and gets the job done the way I want to.
No one ever asked me why I use Facom instead Snap-on or Gedore
05-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My answer is always the same. I have shot with pentax for 40 years because I have class. My current crop of small pentax primes are to die for.
05-03-2013, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Who wants to be the same as everyone else? 13 year old girls, that's who.
And middle aged men with Harleys.
05-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm, I had to check, this is the film SLR section

The first hurdle then is 'why are you still shooting film' or 'oh, you still shoot film'. Because I like to. Or some bs about the analog quality missing in digital

Second hurdle: why Pentax. Because I like to. Or because I feel more embarrassed walking around with a Nikon F100. (I'm about to test that theory, I just bought a F100)
05-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ergonomics, Image Quality, Shake Reduction in Camera, High Quality all Metal Bodies, Thousands of legacy lenses that are image stabilized, and there are even more reasons to own a Pentax Film system.
05-03-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Hmm, I had to check, this is the film SLR section
Oops, didn`t notice that either..but I guess this also applies to digital?