Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

1st time shoot film ,, need comment ?

I got a pentax PZ-1 camera recently and expired fujicolor film 100 speed (expired May 2007)

1st i have not shoot film before , i load the film and the camera recognized the film iso speed (Iso 100) .. i have the K-30 beside me so as to see metering copared to the PZ-1 ,,, i have note that the film camera select longer shutter speed compared to the digital K-30 ,,, in any situation ,,,
Ex. K30 selct shutter 1/10 , at the same view the pz-1 select 1/6 shutter ,,, So i have made a trick to made the ISO on the pz-1 is ISO 250 ...

I used My new M-28mm f/2 (Super sharp lens) ,, here is the best sample :

Scanned for 6.33 MP

full size crop from the above image

1st question , Is this the super quality expected from film !! or due to usage of expired film ?
why is photo is super contrasty ,,, with little dynamic range ,, greenish ,,, huge noise (am using iso 100 film) ,, or its the studio i scanned the film over processed the film scans

If i used unexpired film ,, is the quality will improved ?

Attached Images

05-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Many things :

First : the grainy aspect is very very likely due to the scanning (i should say, poor or average scanning btw) . i scan my film to get 20 to 36mpx at the end, and it's far less grainy than that, even at 3200 iso

second : the green cast : 90% chance is due to bad scanner setting. Each film when scanned can have a color cast, that's why many scanners have some pre-set profil for film.

third : Overexposure can be the resulst of the scanning (using auto-setting for scanning often do that) OR the fact that the metering wasn't done the way you wanted it to be done (was it spot-center / center weightered / full matrix metering ?)

Four : the difference in exposure between film and digital depend on the way the metering is done, mainly.

last : expired film can be a it more grainy or less sensitive (add 1EV of exposure for every 10 years off after exp. date)
05-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about cheap solution to scanners ??? what about Slide copier for K-mount pentax cameras ?
05-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoshoper Quote
what about Slide copier for K-mount pentax cameras ?
This kind of solution is quite easy to build or DIY. And to be honest quite efficient ! a lens reversed or a macro lens or a lens with a bellow can do the work.

I just don't know how you do to transform color neg in real color.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoshoper Quote
What about cheap solution to scanners ???
i have the Canon Canoscann 9000f (i put some money on it, because i have 40years of familly neg to digitalize ) and it's quite awesome I can't say for the Plustek scanner, or the Epson series though.

05-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K30 has a revers image option as filter option ,, that tranfer the negative to positive image :-)
05-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That may work for b&w film when you are simply reversing the image but you have to contend with C41's mask too.
05-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

BTW, Fuji100 is a very good all purpose and relatively inexpensive film. I put in on par with Kodak Gold 100. General purpose since it is a relatively low contrast film. It has extremely wide latitude, relatively fine grain and very good resolution characteristics.

Looking at the EXIF info in yhour posted images, I see that scanning was performed on a Noritsu Koki as typically used in minilabs.If they will work with you, the machine can provide very large files - 6300 X 4100 pixels. Turning off autocorrection can provide less contrast and less grain too. Unfortunately, they tend to blow the highlights. The image below shows the same frame of film scanned on a Noritsu and Coolscan. As you can see, the film itself can provide good resolution, latitude with relatively fine grain.

Link to larger file -> http://www.fototime.com/A2F77BA75998ED4/orig.jpg

Last edited by LesDMess; 05-12-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: altitude to latitude!
05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's what film looks like

05-14-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
That's what film looks like
what he said... some film has more grain than others, even if it is a 100 speed film, it all really depends on the film you use and your processing and scanning methods. I notice that my scans are a lot more sharper than my hand printed work, but even that has to do with the fact I'm better at post processing on the computer than I am with chemicals. Film is an art form and a science beyond that of digital photography, experiment with different films and find and use the ones that suits you best.
05-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wanderography Quote
what he said... some film has more grain than others
i agree with that

Here is a downsized sample of a Ilford Delta 400 pushed 3 stops @3200 iso.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lJ3QjT_IRfaarPq-tKLstCDJEPHaOwOUz7lCBA...eat=directlink

click on the link and then click on the little magnifying glass to be able to zoom in. It takes a little time to load at the beginning, but you can zoom for a 1:1 magnification (eyes and nose should take the whole screen). It's scanned @3600dpi making a 17Mpx file. You'll see it's far less grainy than your sample. It's an example among others to show you that appropriate scanning technique can make a real difference !
note that on a bigger resolution, the iris of this lady is absolutely sharp
05-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As I said earlier, Fuji 100 has exceptional latitude.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/5662A1CA253B2E0/orig.jpg

Fuji 100 is also excellent for use in ultra long exposure mode. Of course this is dependent on lighting condition.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/C083702A72B810A/orig.jpg