Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
ME super help

I loaned my ME Super to a friend for a vacation trip this week and she doesn't really know how to use it that well. I'm not the best teacher, especially over text message. Do any of you guys have a link to a video that covers the basics of operation of this camera, as well as maybe covering how to expose properly in common light situations? I did a preliminary youtube search, but didn't find much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A video tutorial sounds like it'd be useful- expect to see one on our youtube channel in the coming months!

Since the ME super automates shutter speed for you, all you need to do is set the aperture using the aperture ring and fire away. You can also adjust the exposure (shutter speed) manually, in which case LEDs inside the viewfinder will indicate whether or not your exposure is right.

And don't forget to adjust the focus

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

here is a link to the ME Super manual:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/pentax_pdf/pentax_me_super-1.pdf

Phil.
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah...the MESuper...one of my favorite cameras EVER!!!
I wore out several lens's aperture rings using the MESuper!

05-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I sent her the link to the manual. She is just texting me super basic questions like "is what i see in the viewfinder what will appear in the print?" I had no idea she didn't know how to use a manual camera before she left, otherwise I would have given her a crash course in person. Anybody got a video link that visually explains manual camera and exposure basics? It doesn't have to be pentax specific, just something to get her started.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A video tutorial sounds like it'd be useful- expect to see one on our youtube channel in the coming months!
Yes, Adam! This would be super helpful, especially for beginning photography students. I know most college photo programs still start you out with a semester or two of shooting/printing film before letting you advance to digital.
05-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Let us hope the film is in and iso selector is set.

ME Super has Auto mode -
1. Press the little white button down and rotate selector to select Auto.
2. Outdoors, set Aperture ring at f/8 or f/11 . The viewfinder is a little smaller ( 92%) of the actual film frame.
3. Focus the ring on the lens which has a distance scale, for a sharp image, half press the shutter button and make sure a green LED is on to left of viwfinder. if so, fully press the shutter button to take the shot,
4. Then pull out the film wind lever and gently push it to the right until it stops. That winds the film ready for next shot. ( Note the shutter button can not be pressed to take the next photo until this is done)
05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Don't overlook that the little white button is exactly that, an actual button that you need to push down, to turn the dial. I thought it was just there to make the selection easier to see. Thought the dial was stuck, almost got out the pliers, until I realized.

05-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
Don't overlook that the little white button is exactly that, an actual button that you need to push down, to turn the dial. I thought it was just there to make the selection easier to see. Thought the dial was stuck, almost got out the pliers, until I realized.
I was given one for spares where someone had done exactly that, I could see the teeth marks from the pliers on the dial,
05-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In truth, it might be best for her to leave it in auto mode and become familiar with just setting the aperture.
05-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
In truth, it might be best for her to leave it in auto mode and become familiar with just setting the aperture.
Yes - I loaned an ME Super to a Nikon dSLR-using friend, with a sticker that told what f-stop to set outdoors or in, and let the camera choose speed. She got just a few in focus on that first roll - too used to autofocus. Later I gave her an MX after I repaired the shutter, thinking she should start learning aperture and shutter control, etc. All the manual controls were just too much to think about, and her results with the ME Super were much better. (She does excellent work with her D7000!)
When you don't start out learning the sequence of light-metering/aperture/shutter decisions/manual-focus technique, it takes a lot of re-learning that can be discouraging.
Just adapting to manual focus seems enough for a start.
I'm just the opposite: old manual and un-metered cameras are "automatic" for me, but I don't care for dSLRs.