Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

new/old sp1000 battery cover problem.

The problem is its frozen on, and the slot it mostly rounded! I fear the battery has leaked, and froze it all up, but the PO has buggerd up the slot to remove it. I made a curved tool to fit as tight as I can, but its still starting to slip. I don't want to spray anything on it becouse of the fear of hurting the Finnish or camera. Any tips for me on this? I really think I just need to bite the bullet and ship it out to be cleaned..

05-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about drill 2 holes and remove it with a lens wrench. Better find a replacement cap first though.
05-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by s1120 Quote
hurting the Finnish
Don't worry, Finnish people are pretty tough
In all honesty, panic and impatience are probably the greatest sources of mistakes. You should be able to open it, but you will need a compass (as far as I know, it should already have two pre-drilled holes). Some isopropyl alcohol/naphta/vinegar might also help free the cover.
05-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't do anymore forcing. Look under the camera bottom, remove the four small screws. The whole bottom comes off. You can then try soaking it in vinegar, WD40 or boiling it.

05-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Don't do anymore forcing. Look under the camera bottom, remove the four small screws. The whole bottom comes off. You can then try soaking it in vinegar, WD40 or boiling it.
Nope no forcing here I've payed that game before!! The past owner on the other hand buggerd it up good! I didn't think to pull the whole bottom. Thanks!
05-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Ok here is a picture... No I'm not the one that bucherd it!!
Attached Images

05-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
I'm guessing this is just the well the battery sits in? Lots of corrosion on the outside, but none inside, so that's good. I REALY don't want to mess up the bottom plate so I will start with something mild so I don't mess up the finish

Attached Images

05-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I was thinking just last night that there might be a few pennies to be made in making replacement battery caps. Originals are pretty hard to find. Anybody out there a decent part-maker?

Steve
05-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are replacement caps made. I bought a few off eBay a year ago.
05-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
There are replacement caps made. I bought a few off eBay a year ago.
I just did a quick search on eBay. Apparently the vendor is no longer selling. There are lots of K1000 caps though.

Steve
05-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just did a quick search on eBay. Apparently the vendor is no longer selling. There are lots of K1000 caps though.

Steve

ahhh...so they are not the same then? they look the same, but I could not compair them closely....being I cant get the SP one off.
05-22-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Extreme measure... worth a try if the battery cover is junk.

blow torch. get a pan of water and place the bottom plate so that the battery door is facing up and off and the plastic battery compartment is underwater.

Apply some vinegar to the rim of the battery door. Torch only the battery door for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time... wait to let cool down. Repeat... vinegar-torch-cool. after a few times it is hoped that the battery will not be swelling up more and the door had expanded some and contracted to loosen the corrosion. Fully cooled and out of the water, add some penetrating oil and give the door a twist with a big screw driver that has some purchase and twist slowly. If it more some but stops, reverse and start again.
05-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you get it off:
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Battery Cover - LeZot Camera Repair

And of course Eric often replaces these when he repairs a Spotmatic, or he may even provide a replacement baseplate.
05-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Extreme measure... worth a try if the battery cover is junk.

blow torch. get a pan of water and place the bottom plate so that the battery door is facing up and off and the plastic battery compartment is underwater.

Apply some vinegar to the rim of the battery door. Torch only the battery door for about 5 to 10 seconds at a time... wait to let cool down. Repeat... vinegar-torch-cool. after a few times it is hoped that the battery will not be swelling up more and the door had expanded some and contracted to loosen the corrosion. Fully cooled and out of the water, add some penetrating oil and give the door a twist with a big screw driver that has some purchase and twist slowly. If it more some but stops, reverse and start again.

Thats close to what im doing. I rebuild/restore cars, and old tractors so Im used to working with rusty parts, and heat...always much bigger chunks of iron though!!!!! Right now I have my fav penetrating oil mixture on it.. { 50/50 ATF and acetone] and I am going to hit the cover with a heat gun. I figure the heat gun will be a more controllable heat source.
05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
If you get it off:
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Battery Cover - LeZot Camera Repair

And of course Eric often replaces these when he repairs a Spotmatic, or he may even provide a replacement baseplate.
Woo! Hoo! Thanks!

Steve