Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

ME Super foam

I recently picked up a ME super cos I love the look and other things such as max shutter. My question: how do I know if the mirror foam needs changing? It is a bit sticky and the foam takes a long time to bounce back after being pressed flat. Does it need changing or is it supposed to be like this? Thanks.

Last edited by Louicio; 05-22-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Mirror not shutter foam ;)
05-22-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean the mirror damper foam?
There shouldn't be any foam on the shutter.
05-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes sorry I had a brain fart moment, you are correct, I meant mirror foam =)
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
It is a bit sticky and the foam takes a long time to bounce back after being pressed flat. Does it need changing or is it supposed to be like this?
Yes the foam should be replaced soon. If you keep up activating the shutter at this point, small bits of foam will get stuck on the mirror and some will be tossed onto the focus screen which will be impossible to clean without damage to the mirror or screen.

The good news is it is very cheap to replace & you can do it yourself.

05-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #5

Yes, the foam should be replaced. You probably need to replace the light seals around the camera back too. A good source for kits is Jon Goodman who sells them on eBay as seller name interslice.

Here is a webpage on the Classic Camera Repair forum of some of his manuals. Jon's email address is listed there. There is a link to the instructions for replacing the seals on a ME Super:
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a member here.
05-22-2013, 05:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The best practice when getting a new used film camera is to get a CLA, which includes new seals/foam. Unless the seller has indicated a recent CLA has been done.

Eric is who we use in North America:

Home

Phil
05-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Louicio Quote
It is a bit sticky
Then the foams are bad and should be replaced.

You can replace it yourself using Jon Goodman's kit (should be under $10 USD including postage). Jon no longer sells on eBay and deals exclusively via e-mail. Unfortunately the various posted e-mail addresses for him on the Internet are mostly wrong. PM me and I will give you his current address.

Steve

05-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jon Goodman located and contacted, seal kit on the way. I'll stick photos up when its all finished. Thanks guys.
08-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Then the foams are bad and should be replaced.

You can replace it yourself using Jon Goodman's kit (should be under $10 USD including postage). Jon no longer sells on eBay and deals exclusively via e-mail. Unfortunately the various posted e-mail addresses for him on the Internet are mostly wrong. PM me and I will give you his current address.

Steve
Hey steve, do you still have jon's email? Thank u
08-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adawong Quote
Hey steve, do you still have jon's email? Thank u
PM sent.