Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

ME Super non definite aperture adjuestment

Hi,

Sorry about the odd title but I found the 'issue' hard to sum up.

I have noticed that when I adjust the aperture on my lenses when they are not on the camera there is a definite click between stops. When fitted to the camera when I decrease the aperture it's fine. When I try to increase the aperture its much stiffer and there is no definite click between stops.

Lens 1 is a SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm
Lens 2 is a Super OZECK Auto Tele Photo Close Focusing MV 1:2.8 f = 135mm

Do you think this is a problem with the lenses or the camera?

Thanks

05-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you turn the ring one way (for wider aperture) there should be slightly more resistence than when you move to choose a narrower aperture. With the lens off the body you should be able to manually slide the coupler lever. Resistence should be minimal.

Steve
05-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
With the lenses off the camera the couple levers move with very little resistance and I can see the aperture's moving as expected.

When the lenses are on the camera, especially the 50mm, if I move the ring from the widest to narrowest then back again everytime I move it to the widest it get stiffer and stiffer. To the point where something feels jammed.
05-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As Steve noted, the aperture setting lever on the lens moves a spring-loaded "follower" lever in the camera to tell the meter what aperture is set. It sounds like the follower in the camera is binding. You might find an ME Super repair manual on the Web to figure it out, but I'd recommend sending it to Eric Hendrickson for a full Cleand Adjust Lubricate service. He's not expensive, and it would work like new for another 20 years.

05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi,

Thanks for the feed back.

I'm in the UK but have found, via this forum, a Pentax service shop that I'm going to send the camera to.