Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Film Cassettes

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I guess this post should be under the accessories section, but I was curious if anyone has or has seen a Pentax branded reloadable film cassette (magazine).They were listed in the early Pentax camera manuals. Recently I've been collecting cassettes of various brands (Leitz, Canon, Nikon, Contax, etc) and some are pretty amazing. Most are made of machined brass, and for cameras that open from the bottom the cassettes open in the camera by rotating the inner section, so they have no felt seals to catch dirt and scratch film.
Since Pentax has no such mechanism they used a normal felt seal, but I'd be curious to look at the build.
Name:  Pentax film cassette1.jpg
Views: 2128
Size:  109.5 KB

05-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, I just got a film Magazine with my latest acquisition. Looks unused, and I am not about to use bulk film myself. Here is a picture:
05-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got one as well. But not the paper box. The cassette opens in a different way to any of my current cassettes that I use to reload 100 feet film.
05-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks - good to know they really exist. I'll keep my eyes out for one!

05-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Thanks - good to know they really exist. I'll keep my eyes out for one!
Thsi store in Calgary has one:

PENTAX ACCESSORIES
Pentax ASAHI Film Spool w/ Original Case ex+ $25.00 Cdn

Here is the Vintage Visuals web site:

PENTAX

Phil.
09-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Asahi Cassette

Found this thread because I couldnt find any that were sold on Ebay previously.
Picked one up today from my Charity shop ladies.
Together with a Super Takumar 35 3.5. + A bellows II with slide copier.

Green enamel can, very solid looking well made Film Cassette marked just "Asahi"
Different (earlier I assume) to the one in the pic below. Looks more like a Leica one.

I can post pics if required, will be selling it all on Ebay if you are interested.
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I got a very nice one off eBay not too long after I posted the question. They are very nice quality.

02-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #8

Three just listed on eBay: Vintage Camera Accessories Lot Lens Cleaning Paper Adapter Rings Filters | eBay
02-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wouldn't mind having that 90 degree finder
11-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry to reactivate this thread. I've got one of these film cassettes but haven't a clue how to open it (or if I've got all of it). Any ideas?

Last edited by johnha; 11-19-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
11-19-2018, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Sorry to reactivate this thread. I've got one of these film cassettes but haven't a clue how to open it (or if I've got all of it). Any ideas?
There are two "buttons" on one end of the cassette.
Name:  Cass1.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  126.1 KB
Press the silver one in and turn the knurled end clockwise to open the felt light trap.
Name:  Cass2.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  226.5 KB
When the light trap is fully open the knurled end can be easily pulled out with the inner cylinder to remove the spool.
11-19-2018, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just remembered there were two versions of the Asahi cassette. Above I showed the later "Pentax" version, but there was also an older version that started in the Asahiflex years before Pentax. These usually come in a can with a green hammertone finish. These lock closed differently. They don't have buttons on the end, but have a tab on the edge of the knurled end:
Name:  Old1.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  220.4 KB
To unlock it, slide this tab up (towards the end) to lift it out of a small slot in the end of the outer cylinder:
Name:  Old2.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  199.4 KB
Then while holing it in this up position, rotate the knurled end clockwise to open the felt light seal, and slide the inner seal out:
Name:  Old3.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  200.8 KB

The later version locks in to a similar notch in the end of the shell, but uses the button to lever the locking tab up.
11-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
There are two "buttons" on one end of the cassette.

Press the silver one in and turn the knurled end clockwise to open the felt light trap.

When the light trap is fully open the knurled end can be easily pulled out with the inner cylinder to remove the spool.
Thanks TomB_tx: It's this version - easy when you know how but not very intuitive (and feels like you need three hands).

---------- Post added 11-19-18 at 09:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Wouldn't mind having that 90 degree finder
While I'm at it, I also have the right-angled finder - much brighter than I expected but it does laterally reverse the image. It will rotate with click stops every 90 degrees.

Last edited by johnha; 11-19-2018 at 02:42 PM.
11-19-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

There is always the risk that a cassette or daylight loader or camera has an exposed or unexposed film in it!
Don’t ask how I know...
03-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Having dug this out of a drawer again, I'm wondering whether the seals are still light tight and considering trying to load it from another film cassette in a dark bag (I don't have a bulk loader). Any tips on how to attach the end of the film to the spool?