Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Aperture not responding when turning ring on camera

I have a pentax ME super and i recentl got it cleaned... when i got it back i took the lens off to check out the inside and since ive put it back on my aperture isnt responding to me turning the ring on the lens.. ive read in a couple of forums online that it needs to be lined up to f22 when putting it on and off? and that theres an aperture activation button? if anyone coud help me out it would be greatly appreciated

06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens won't stop down until you actually shoot a photo. Set the camera to a 1s shutter speed and loon at the front if the lens to confirm that it stops down.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The lens won't stop down until you actually shoot a photo. Set the camera to a 1s shutter speed and loon at the front if the lens to confirm that it stops down.
still didnt change anything
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
now ive noticed that right after i put the lens back on the aperture works.. then the wider i turn the aperture (towards f1.7) it wont respond to going smaller (back to f22)

06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It is unclear what you are talking about. While the lens is mounted, the aperture is supposed to stay wide-open all the time -- it shouldn't do anything when you turn the ring. Then, when you actually take a photo/release the shutter, it will stop down to the aperture selected on the ring (for only as long as it takes to take the photo). That's why Adam suggested setting the shutter speed to 1 second or longer (or bulb, just hold it down) and then if you look into the front of the lens as you hit the shutter, you'll be able to tell if it is stopping down or not...
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It is unclear what you are talking about. While the lens is mounted, the aperture is supposed to stay wide-open all the time -- it shouldn't do anything when you turn the ring. Then, when you actually take a photo/release the shutter, it will stop down to the aperture selected on the ring (for only as long as it takes to take the photo). That's why Adam suggested setting the shutter speed to 1 second or longer (or bulb, just hold it down) and then if you look into the front of the lens as you hit the shutter, you'll be able to tell if it is stopping down or not...
i understand.. its just before when i put move the aperture when prepping for a photo the light meter would move up on down according to the aperture size... and now it doesnt do that
06-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kawehna Quote
i understand.. its just before when i put move the aperture when prepping for a photo the light meter would move up on down according to the aperture size... and now it doesnt do that
Does it stay in the middle or all the way up or down?
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
now ive noticed that right after i put the lens back on the aperture works.. then the wider i turn the aperture (towards f1.7) it wont respond to going smaller (back to f22)
it did not stop down btw

06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Does it stay in the middle or all the way up or down?
all the way up
06-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ive read in a couple of forums online that it needs to be lined up to f22 when putting it on and off?
This is not true. You should be able to mount/unmount the lens without regard to the position of the aperture ring. Your camera's manual is available for download (donation suggested) HERE

To restate the comments above and maybe even add a little:

With the lens off the camera:
  • The aperture ring should move freely from maximum to minimum and back
  • The aperture opening should vary from wide open to f/22 (minimum) based on the aperture ring setting. You should be able to see this when looking through the lens.
  • When the actuator lever (rear of lens) is flicked, the aperture should go fully open and return to the stopped-down state without hesitation or sticking. The usual description is "snappy". You should be able to see this movement while looking through the lens from either front or back.
If the lens fails any of the above, it is an indication of malfunction of the lens.

With the lens on the camera:
  • The lens must be fully mounted and engaged in the mount to work properly (clockwise until the retaining pin clicks into place).
  • The aperture should remain fully open except when making an exposure
  • The aperture ring should move freely from maximum to minimum and back with the aperture remaining fully open
  • With the exception of wide open, the lens should stop down to the set aperture and open back up at time of exposure without hesitation or sticking. This movement may be easily observed through the front element of the lens at slower shutter speeds.
  • When in Av mode (auto exposure), movement of the aperture ring should result in the meter choosing a faster/slower shutter speed as observed by the red LED display in the viewfinder
If any of this second list fails, it is a fault of either the camera body or the coupling mechanism between the body and lens.

I might suggest that you may want to visit the shop that did your cleaning and have them demonstrate that the camera and lens are functioning properly after their service.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
06-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is not true. You should be able to mount/unmount the lens without regard to the position of the aperture ring. Your camera's manual is available for download (donation suggested) HERE

To restate the comments above and maybe even add a little:

With the lens off the camera:
  • The aperture ring should move freely from maximum to minimum and back
  • The aperture opening should vary from wide open to f/22 (minimum) based on the aperture ring setting. You should be able to see this when looking through the lens.
  • When the actuator lever (rear of lens) is flicked, the aperture should go fully open and return to the stopped-down state without hesitation or sticking. The usual description is "snappy". You should be able to see this movement while looking through the lens from either front or back.
If the lens fails any of the above, it is an indication of malfunction of the lens.

With the lens on the camera:
  • The lens must be fully mounted and engaged in the mount to work properly (clockwise until the retaining pin clicks into place).
  • The aperture should remain fully open except when making an exposure
  • The aperture ring should move freely from maximum to minimum and back with the aperture remaining fully open
  • With the exception of wide open, the lens should stop down to the set aperture and open back up at time of exposure without hesitation or sticking. This movement may be easily observed through the front element of the lens at slower shutter speeds.
  • When in Av mode (auto exposure), movement of the aperture ring should result in the meter choosing a faster/slower shutter speed as observed by the red LED display in the viewfinder
If any of this second list fails, it is a fault of either the camera body or the coupling mechanism between the body and lens.

I might suggest that you may want to visit the shop that did your cleaning and have them demonstrate that the camera and lens are functioning properly after their service.

Steve
When in Av mode (auto exposure), movement of the aperture ring should result in the meter choosing a faster/slower shutter speed as observed by the red LED display in the viewfinder << thats whats its not doing. Im planning on going back tomorrow, i just dont understand why this happens right after i get it cleaned... oh and btw i have the manual already. but thank you.
06-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Does the spring for the pin work?
06-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
With the lens off, there is a spring loaded lever that senses the position of the aperture position of the lens and you can manually move it physically in the range as shown in the picture below. In the default about 2 o'clock position, the meter should indicate wide open. As you move it towards the 5 o'clock position, the meter should read it as if the aperture were closing down - therefore choosing a slower shutter speed. This applies to all working Pentax K mount cameras.

On the back of the lens, there is a tab that is intended to match up to that lever and should move when varying the aperture setting.

Hope this helps and good luck troubleshooting it.