Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Excellent stuff. I have been doing a lot of film photography lately (C41 & E6, no BW) however yet not into development mostly due to dependencies and difficulties in getting chemicals in this part of the world (almost everything is digital now). Good labs are slowly vanishing here, and kind of development quality I get is a bit disappointing, most of the time negatives come back with thin scratches which remains even after scanned with Digital ICE.
I can't imagine trying to find a good lab in that part of the world. It's crazy how much some people abuse the negatives.

06-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
I can't imagine trying to find a good lab in that part of the world. It's crazy how much some people abuse the negatives.
It's really hard to imagine unless you see this street picture - you can see those thin lines and how brutally this negative was handled I hope to put my hand on development someday.

06-15-2013, 11:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good labs are slowly vanishing here, and kind of development quality I get is a bit disappointing, most of the time negatives come back with thin scratches which remains even after scanned with Digital ICE.

What are using to scan?
06-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's really hard to imagine unless you see this street picture - you can see those thin lines and how brutally this negative was handled I hope to put my hand on development someday.
That's a bummer. Also, Digital ICE won't help b&w images, just color. But I see even ICE wont help a neg that's been that neglected.

06-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
What are using to scan?
Nikon Coolscan V

That's a bummer. Also, Digital ICE won't help b&w images, just color. But I see even ICE wont help a neg that's been that neglected.
It's C41. Actually negative is even badly scratched but ICE did helped a lot for the bigger scratches (unfortunately ICE can't handle those fine scratches).
06-16-2013, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Then you haven't seen Coolscan 9000 + Nikonscan ICE at work particularly with a badly scratched up negative. I couldn't even match the cleanliness of it's ICE in post processing particularly when you consider it takes less then a minute to do it so unobtrusively as shown below.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/36BED059AD8E686/orig.jpg

Nikon Coolscan V

It's C41. Actually negative is even badly scratched but ICE did helped a lot for the bigger scratches (unfortunately ICE can't handle those fine scratches).
Fortunately the fine scratches from the Coolscan V & 5000 don't even show in very large poster prints.
06-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
then you haven't seen Coolscan 9000 + Nikonscan ICE at work
It is my understanding that the ICE on the Coolscan 9000 and 5000 is a significant upgrade over the older version used in the Coolscan V.

Steve
06-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Then you haven't seen Coolscan 9000 + Nikonscan ICE at work particularly with a badly scratched up negative. I couldn't even match the cleanliness of it's ICE in post processing particularly when you consider it takes less then a minute to do it so unobtrusively as shown below.

Link to larger version -> http://www.fototime.com/36BED059AD8E686/orig.jpg

Fortunately the fine scratches from the Coolscan V & 5000 don't even show in very large poster prints.
Awsome, I can see scratches in 5000 scans similar to my scan but 9000 just rocks. Just wondering, why 9000 scan doesn't show scratches in NO ICE mode - it should have similar output as 5000 when no ICE was applied.

06-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I enjoyed this thanks for sharing and inspiring! I have a ME Super and a Spotmatic sitting on my desk and have had my FA31 for over two months now (and five kids lol). I have to get some film rolling! I don't know what my block is about learning how to use these cameras but I will get over it at some point. I think my next step I just need to go buy some film...
06-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I enjoyed this thanks for sharing and inspiring! I have a ME Super and a Spotmatic sitting on my desk and have had my FA31 for over two months now (and five kids lol). I have to get some film rolling! I don't know what my block is about learning how to use these cameras but I will get over it at some point. I think my next step I just need to go buy some film...
I like a fifth kid... Someday
The ME Super is a super easy camera to learn, just meter off the face and you will be set
06-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Wow what is up with lots of kids and super programs / me supers? I have those cameras and eight kids :-) Go for five, it's not until after six that they really start to overpower you !!!
06-17-2013, 05:41 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Wow what is up with lots of kids and super programs / me supers? I have those cameras and eight kids :-) Go for five, it's not until after six that they really start to overpower you !!!
Good to know, good to know.