Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Journey with film | Part 1

From my blog... The “Test Batch” | Our Journey with Film | Part 1
Jamie and I began our journey with film a little over a year ago. At the time, it was just another tool to push us as photographers. No LCD screen on the back of our camera to check if we had gotten “The Shot”, no memory cards, no instant gratification. What we found was a deeper passion for our art. We also discovered a community of other film shooters with like passion and a desire to help others learn the craft of film photography. In the coming months we hope to share part of that journey. Below is a compilation of images known to us as the “Test Batch”. We were not just content to learn how to shoot film but we also wanted to understand how to develop and take it from analog to digital. During the month of January we began our journey with black and white development. It’s a fairly easy process but due to some faulty equipment it took us a full month to get the results we wanted. Every time we stumbled, there was a plethora of people in the film community to help us troubleshoot. You will see a lot of water spots, dust, light leaks and other technical problems in this “Test Batch”. We had to shoot and develop every day for a month to get the results we wanted. Despite the dust and out of focus shots, the film we shot during this one month period has become very dear to our hearts and will give you a glimpse into our family of six.

06-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! Great set of images and excellent photography in terms of lighting/composition ect. So many emotions/fun times captured in just a month....and beautiful family. It will be great to have these images and memories, and Im sure your children will thank you later on in life. Really excellent stuff.

Are you planning on uploading the images? I would love to browse them at a bit higher resolution. Curious on some of the details from your month in B/W. What type of gear did you use (bodies/lenses/film) and what turned out to be your favorite or "go to" system? What did you feel the benefits/pitfalls of limiting yourself to B/W film were? I recently have gotten back into film photography after acquiring a few MF/35mm bodies, and have considered to a span dedicated to B/W photography.....not sure if I could pull off for a year but maybe a month to start

Really enjoyed your work and look forward to seeing more. Great work by you two!
06-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Great work!! Makes me feel like sending my Super Program to Eric sooner than later so I can experiment. What community were you referring to? Do you visit a film forum or is it a local club? Thanks in advance.
06-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I loved the photography, not so much the music.
Good job on the images!

06-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great job. I loved the music :-)

I was digital too, sent my Super Program to eric and just got back my first rolls of portra. WOW. Huge difference to the 2$ stuff I was using before. Also been very happy with the tri-x so far. I have twice as many kids as you but use less film. Need to get on the ball!

Jamey
06-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
Wow! Great set of images and excellent photography in terms of lighting/composition ect. So many emotions/fun times captured in just a month....and beautiful family. It will be great to have these images and memories, and Im sure your children will thank you later on in life. Really excellent stuff.

Are you planning on uploading the images? I would love to browse them at a bit higher resolution. Curious on some of the details from your month in B/W. What type of gear did you use (bodies/lenses/film) and what turned out to be your favorite or "go to" system? What did you feel the benefits/pitfalls of limiting yourself to B/W film were? I recently have gotten back into film photography after acquiring a few MF/35mm bodies, and have considered to a span dedicated to B/W photography.....not sure if I could pull off for a year but maybe a month to start

Really enjoyed your work and look forward to seeing more. Great work by you two!
Thanks Ableleck: Here is high res 12x18 scan from some 35mm Tri-x 400
http://www.captivatedstudio.com/pentax/000000400019-3.jpg
It printed up very nicely, way less grain then I thought.

My main go to camera was a Pentax LX with A 50 1.2 though the ME Super was used a lot as well with the M 50 1.4, my wife used the ME Super a lot. There are a few shots from a Mamiay 645AF. Most the film is tri-x 400 with a little Neopan 100. I think I shot a wedding during that time and used some color but because I was developing every day I was mostly shoot b&w. I had a light leak in my change box which took about 8 batches of film till someone help me figure it out. Also using distilled water for the final rinse made a huge difference with the water spots.
QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
Great work!! Makes me feel like sending my Super Program to Eric sooner than later so I can experiment. What community were you referring to? Do you visit a film forum or is it a local club? Thanks in advance.
Roob: There is a group on Facebook called the Darkroom that really helped me with developing but the Pentax forum has been a huge help as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I loved the photography, not so much the music.
Good job on the images!
Lauren: Thanks!
06-12-2013, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Roob: There is a group on Facebook called the Darkroom that really helped me with developing but the Pentax forum has been a huge help as well.
Thanks! A coworker of mine gave me an enlarger and other darkroom supplies, I think the only thing I need are chemicals.
I'll look into the group, thanks a bunch and keep up the good work!

Oh yeah, and there is nothing wrong with the music.

06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is high res 12x18 scan from some 35mm Tri-x 400
That print looks great! Not a ton of grain, and what is there only adds to the photo. Scanning seems to be a learned skill in itself, what are you working with?

My main go to camera was a Pentax LX with A 50 1.2 though the ME Super was used a lot as well with the M 50 1.4, my wife used the ME Super a lot. There are a few shots from a Mamiay 645AF. Most the film is tri-x 400 with a little Neopan 100. I think I shot a wedding during that time and used some color but because I was developing every day I was mostly shoot b&w. I had a light leak in my change box which took about 8 batches of film till someone help me figure it out. Also using distilled water for the final rinse made a huge difference with the water spots.
Bummer about the light leak....tough to lose that much work, but I guess that is part of shooting and developing your own film. I just purchased a LX and have a K1000 to go with it.....need to get a bit of glass (would love a 50mm f1.2) Those two paired with my Hasselblad MF system and I would be ready to go! Now I just need to make the commitment to B/W. I think overall it would help my photography and my "eye"....seeing your work makes me want to test that.

Once again, good work and I look forward to more in the future.
06-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abieleck Quote
That print looks great! Not a ton of grain, and what is there only adds to the photo. Scanning seems to be a learned skill in itself, what are you working with?

Bummer about the light leak....tough to lose that much work, but I guess that is part of shooting and developing your own film. I just purchased a LX and have a K1000 to go with it.....need to get a bit of glass (would love a 50mm f1.2) Those two paired with my Hasselblad MF system and I would be ready to go! Now I just need to make the commitment to B/W. I think overall it would help my photography and my "eye"....seeing your work makes me want to test that.

Once again, good work and I look forward to more in the future.
Congrats on the LX, I love mine! Try to track down a SA-23 focusing screen if you go with the 50 1.2.
Scanning takes some time but not to difficult with B&W. I have an industrial scanner, a Noritsu HS-1800 that I bought from a photo lab going out of business. But I hear the V700 is a great option.
06-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the LX, I love mine! Try to track down a SA-23 focusing screen if you go with the 50 1.2.
Indeed - the SA-23 is hard to find, but more accurate on fast lenses.
06-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sweet. Ilford and Kodak have step-by-step guides. If you use the film and chemicals they recommend, follow their instructions and procedures, I'd be shocked if you could not get excellent results the very first time. So that month of trial seems a little odd because back before the internet, I purchased a Kodak Darkroom Data Guide and developed my first roll without a hitch by following their directions down to the letter.
06-13-2013, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love this sequence.

Congratulations on a marvellous sequence. I loved the music and its witness of faith along with your beautiful family.
06-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Sweet. Ilford and Kodak have step-by-step guides. If you use the film and chemicals they recommend, follow their instructions and procedures, I'd be shocked if you could not get excellent results the very first time. So that month of trial seems a little odd because back before the internet, I purchased a Kodak Darkroom Data Guide and developed my first roll without a hitch by following their directions down to the letter.
Tuco: you are correct. It's a very simple process and most people should get it the first batch. However I had a slight light leak in my change bag. I would develop two rolls at a time and my first roll in the canister would come out with a slight cast and the second reel would come out fine. I thought It was a leak in my tank so I got a new one and tried some more but eventually figured out it was the change bag. Plus it took me a while to figure out using distilled water was key to keeping water spots off my film when it dried. I have very hard water where I live. But ya, most people should get it the first time.
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Tuco: you are correct. It's a very simple process and most people should get it the first batch. However I had a slight light leak in my change bag. I would develop two rolls at a time and my first roll in the canister would come out with a slight cast and the second reel would come out fine. I thought It was a leak in my tank so I got a new one and tried some more but eventually figured out it was the change bag. Plus it took me a while to figure out using distilled water was key to keeping water spots off my film when it dried. I have very hard water where I live. But ya, most people should get it the first time.
I see.

I never took to those changing bags. I much prefer going into a bathroom with no window, stuffing a towel under the door and hanging a black cloth over it. I then use the shower curtain rod to clip my film to (120 film) and remove the backing paper. I just like the extra space to do that task and I never have touch the film surface much at all (only the edges).
06-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Excellent stuff. I have been doing a lot of film photography lately (C41 & E6, no BW) however yet not into development mostly due to dependencies and difficulties in getting chemicals in this part of the world (almost everything is digital now). Good labs are slowly vanishing here, and kind of development quality I get is a bit disappointing, most of the time negatives come back with thin scratches which remains even after scanned with Digital ICE.