Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 06:48 AM   #1

Kodak color plus

I just got 20 Kodak color plus films delivered today from eBay, 24exp 200, £30 with free delivery and the exp date is 02/2015, is this a good deal or is there better deals out there, this is the best I could find.

06-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is this not the stuff which is sold at Poundland?
06-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
Don't know I've never seen film in pound land
06-13-2013, 08:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
I've looked a bit online, and it looks to be pretty crap lol, and it was mentioned being in pound land so you're right, oh well I've got 20 rolls to use, I'll put it down to experience, that makes me feel a bit better about spending £30 on it.

06-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alawlor Quote
I've looked a bit online, and it looks to be pretty crap lol, and it was mentioned being in pound land so you're right, oh well I've got 20 rolls to use, I'll put it down to experience, that makes me feel a bit better about spending £30 on it.
Don't believe everything you read...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/125768-kodak-c...-question.html

I really like Colorplus, the film canisters say Kodacolor 200... there is a slight yellow cast, which is nice and also easily corrected. Most of the variation has to do with development and scanning -- how fresh the chemistry etc.

Also, I believe there was at least one different formulation in the past, which may have been not so good... the current one I don't hesitate to use.
06-13-2013, 08:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
That's good, its nice to read a thread that's not slating it, so I shouldn't expect all my pics to come out bad? I'm just new to photography and I still have my first two films to be developed yet so I'm looking forward to that, I'm gonna take them next week to be done although only one is Kodak the other one is ilford b&w film
06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This is indeed a very good film! Same grain as ISO100 version, but faster. Really nice colors. Don“t worry a bit about the film. Have the negatives scanned (to .TIF format) and Post process them in Light Room or Photoshop, you will be fine. Concentrate on composition!
06-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
This is indeed a very good film! Same grain as ISO100 version, but faster. Really nice colors. Don“t worry a bit about the film. Have the negatives scanned (to .TIF format) and Post process them in Light Room or Photoshop, you will be fine. Concentrate on composition!
Where can you get them scanned, there's a printing and copying place along the road and they scan photos to blow up to posters and to put on t shirts and the like, I wander if they can do it.

06-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

You should look at your local photography labs. First yo need to develop the film (beware, developing does not include copying, just processing the negatives so you can look at them and manipulate them. For the film you are using, the development uses C-41 process). Then, look for a high quality / high resolution scan. Generally, they will give you .TIF files which is a lossless format (opposed to JPEG). So now you have your negatives developed and scanned to good image files which you can work in any photo editing program. If you develop and just make copies, you won“t have any control on the adjustments since you are handing them to the lab. And this is the part where you MAKE the photograph (you already TOOK the photo)
06-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ah I didn't know any of that but I'm glad you told me, I'll have a look into it and see who does it near by, I just had a wee look on eBay and seen some negative scanners at around the £25-£50 mark, do you think they'd be any good, or are the lab machines far superior ?
06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Glad to help. We“ve all started at some point. I supposed so when you said you are waiting for your firts rolls.
Labs will be far superior. I think something like Epson V700 scanner produces similar results but I never had one (arround 600USD).
This process will provide you with a "digital negative". you could also work with the "analogic negative" with an enlarger and the different techniques to get the results you want. Depends on what you want and how you want to display your pictures (digital support, paper, all analog process)
I think scanning and processing on a computer is the easiest way.

EDIT:
This is an enlarger: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlarger

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-13-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added info
06-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
Ah I'll stick to the lab then lol, I'm quite excited to see how my b&w film comes out, I can see this hobby getting addictive!!!!!
06-13-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The Colorplus is different to Kodacolor, Colorplus is dreadful, and it is the stuff that Poundland have sold for - a pound a roll. I've got a few rolls left but I only use it for light seal testing now.
I've seen a lot of Colorplus being sold at rip off prices, how about £4-99 a roll! , And I don't think I'd be far wrong in saying most of it was originally bought from Poundland.

Poundland are now selling Agfa Vista Plus, which is decent film, reputedly Fuji and I think that is probably right judging by the colours. The other good place to look for film in the UK is Boots, the high street chemist. They very often have a 3 for the price of 2 deal on film and that makes it cheaper than ebay - I've checked. It's a limited range of film, but I get Ilford XP2 there regularly. Also ask if they have any out of date stock, I get great deals deals from Boots on old stock. But it's not on display.
06-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #14

Original Poster
So is out of date film still fine to use?
06-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Film expiration dating is somewhat arbitrary, although film does undergo changes as it ages. With color film there may be tonal shifts, and all film may decrease effective sensitivity, etc. However I've used film well past its date many times with good results. If you buy film to last a while, put it in zip-lock bags and freeze it to slow down the aging. It will last many years that way.
I bought 20 36 exp rolls of Kodak Gold 200 (for camera testing) on eBay that expires next year. Pulled out one test roll and the rest is in the freezer with my Portra, TriX, etc.