Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Will this lens hood fit onto my lens?

I've been looking for a rectangular lens hood for my SMC Pentax-M 50mm lens, and I've come across this:

Pentax 49mm Rectangular Lens Hood 34021 B&H Photo Video

It says it fits on FA, F and A lenses, but nowhere does it say it could fit onto an M lens.
I would like to know if it could fit onto my 50mm M lens.

Also if it doesn't, are there any other rectangular lens hood that fits onto an SMC Pentax-M 50mm lens?

Much appreciated,
Chris

06-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't say exactly which M 50mm lens you have, but as they (4 models) are all 49mm filter size, I would suggest the hood should fit, no problem.
06-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
May I ask? whay rectangular?
06-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just tried the squareTakumar 1:3.5 28mm hood on a M50 2 lens and it fits fine but needs to sit toward the front of the lens 1-2mm as the collar strikes the focus ring as the lens focus approaches infinity when the lens is snugged fully into the hood collar - it is still quite secure however. The illustrated hood in the ad may have a narrower collar but would be better if anything rather than worse as it states it is made for 50mm.

06-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
You don't say exactly which M 50mm lens you have, but as they (4 models) are all 49mm filter size, I would suggest the hood should fit, no problem.
I've got the SMC Pentax-M 50mm f2 prime lens, if that's what you're asking.
I've also posted this question on Yahoo Answers and got responded with "yes, it will work". And having confirmation from you will most likely seal the deal.

One thing though, I've emailed BH Photo about this and one of their agents told me it wouldn't work, so that throws me off a bit.
06-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
May I ask? whay rectangular?
Why not rectangular? Don't they do the same thing? I just like the look of a rectangular hood better than a circle one
06-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by senchi Quote
Don't they do the same thing?
It seems rectangular ones actually do better:
QuoteQuote:
The rubber hoods are circular so they don't have to go in a particular position. But you do have to make sure you get the right one for your lens.
The framing on a camera is not circular though, it is rectangular. A circular lens hood means that there are areas where the frame is a fair bit from the edge of the hood which could increase the risk of extraneous light causing flare.
The square hood is an attempt to remove this problem. The hood has the same format as the film and if the right hood for the lens is used the edge is just out of shot. This reduces the chance of flare to the minimum - but the hood has to be positioned exactly or you run the risk of vignetting.
The petal hoods are a half-way house. They are computer designed to be a compromise between a round and a square - and they are often designed for use on zoom lenses. The dips correspond to the film frame corners where vignetting is most likely to occur. Again, these hoods have to be positioned correctly in order to work properly.
Which one you use is up to you - although I wasn't given the option with my DSLR because it came with a petal. The important thing to remember is to always use some kind of hood and be aware of the problems off axis lights can cause.
Lens hoods

A compromise, but interesting
06-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Decades ago many wide and normal hoods were rectangular as it is more ideal for blocking stray light, but was often more expensive to make and had to be matched to the lens and oriented correctly. With better lens coatings and less flare prone designs, and emphasis on costs round hoods became standard. With plastic hoods the cost is not an issue,
I believe this is the same hood I use, which is a copy of an original Pentax hood model. It works very well on my M lenses.

06-14-2013, 05:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the good read.
I didn't know about this with hoods, but now I do

I just opted with rectangular not knowing the pros and cons of it, but because I just liked the way it looks on a camera.
06-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might check with fotodiox. I bought a square hood for my 645's 75mm normal lens from them. Yes, its square, but does the job. The hood screws into the lense's filter threads, and has a set screw to align it properly. Not expensive, compared to the Pentax official hood made of Unobtanium, I believe.